• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ongoing storylines you cared NOTHING about

77 posts in this topic

JLA/Avengers. It's nothing more than a better drawn rehash of the "Contest of Champions" series Marvel put out in 1982. Almost the exact same story idea. It isn't an "ongoing storyline," but it deserves mention for being pure [!@#%^&^]. (10_2_5.gif )

Just curious, what ongoing storylines could you have cared less about, even if it was part of your favorite title(s)?

For me, it was the Kree-Skrull War. I liked the Skrulls when they were battling the FF, but the K-S War, I could care less what started it, how it was going, when/how it ended - nothing.

What are yours?

thumbsup2.gif

Contest of Champions was one of my favorite Limited Series in the 80's. Although the only criticism I have of it was the inclusion of lower tier characters such as Talisman, Shamrock, Sabra, etc.. I do agree that the current JLA/Avengers is a recycling of the same ideas, complete again with the Gamemaster.

As soon as I read this thread title I thought of the Spidey clone saga. That saga was directly responsible for me not collecting Spider-man anymore. Since all I collected (new-book-wise) was the Spidey titles and x-overs I no longer had a reason to go to my LCS. Sad.

Timely

Just curious, what ongoing storylines could you have cared less about, even if it was part of your favorite title(s)?

For me, it was the Kree-Skrull War. I liked the Skrulls when they were battling the FF, but the K-S War, I could care less what started it, how it was going, when/how it ended - nothing.

What are yours?

Secret Wars II mad.gif Just plain horrible! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Agreed! That was sooooo bad!

Me too, although by the time the clone saga began, I was already thoroughly disgusted with all of Marvel's books, including ASM, and had essentially stopped buying comics anymore. The clone saga was the final nail in the coffin though -- and it did enough damage that it took me almost ten years to return to the hobby.

As soon as I read this thread title I thought of the Spidey clone saga. That saga was directly responsible for me not collecting Spider-man anymore. Since all I collected (new-book-wise) was the Spidey titles and x-overs I no longer had a reason to go to my LCS. Sad.

Timely

Timely,

Do you read Ultimate Spider-Man now? It's great. Reminds me of how fun ASM used to be to read back in the classic silver age issues, and again during the John Romita Jr. run in the early to mid-80s. ASM isn't bad either, though it's nowhere near as much fun as Ultimate Spider-Man. USM is the title that brought me back into the new-book-reading fold. Well, that and Daredevil (not counting the recent David Mack debacle).

Timely

Secret Wars 1 (didn;t know there WAS a 2 till I got here!)

New Teen Titans (the 1st one)

Peter Parker's 2,417th demonstration of teen angst

Ben's 975th lament of being The Thing

About 4 issues into Alpha Flight

About 6 issues into Amethyst

Almost ANY X-Men book I read - honestly got confused by these in the 80's - may be time to seek out sopme readng copies as I have a calmer, more mature outlook now. grin.gif

I have to say that I think Secret Wars 1 is coming in for some unfair criticism here. Sure it was a blantant mass-marketing plan, but I thought it was a very well done blatant mass-marketing plan. grin.gif

I hated it - hated the art. Hated the story. Stopped arounf #8 and never cared of the outcome. By then the older books were piquing me.

Watchmen (when it first came out)

?????????? confused-smiley-013.gif

Elaborate, please.

I'd take some stars away from you if I could, Darth. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Rick

I just wasn't into the grit of it back then confused-smiley-013.gif for all the hype surrounding Moore's writing, he is not my cup of tea. Verbosity does not a great writer make....i read it because someone consigned the HC for me to sell