• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ongoing storylines you cared NOTHING about

77 posts in this topic

His work seems to appeal almost exclusively to teenage girls (and you and Darth). Perhaps he would be more suited to writing Nancy Drew novels...

OMG that is one of the funnies comments ever. I don't know if you realize how close to the mark those comments are. Have you ever seen him in person? He's may as well be a member of Duran Duran.

What's even funnier is that, before Gaiman broke into comics, he did a book on Duran Duran!

ee_1.JPG

His work seems to appeal almost exclusively to teenage girls (and you and Darth). Perhaps he would be more suited to writing Nancy Drew novels...

OMG that is one of the funnies comments ever. I don't know if you realize how close to the mark those comments are. Have you ever seen him in person? He's may as well be a member of Duran Duran.

Chrisco looks nothing like Simon Le Bon! Maybe Nick Rhodes with all that pretty makeup 27_laughing.gifsumo.gif

Except for the Moore addition (which I leave out only because I have not read much of his stuff), I agree wholeheartedly with both of your lists. I do enjoy reading comics where the writer is also the artist, but I have nothing against writer/artist teams, and like just about everyone else, really appreciate the good ones. Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams is a classic example of yours. Both masters of their craft, and I think that O'Neill's written descriptions of panel layouts is superior enough that it doesn't matter that he doesn't "draw" comics -- he's still a master visual storyteller, even though he's not the one doing the drawing. Jim Shooter is another guy with great storytelling talent and deserves a mention. I love that he not only wrote the best of the early Valiant books, but also drew several of them under the Paul Craddick pseudonym. While the art style in those isn't as dynamic as it was when BWS (another of my favorites) was drawing the Valiant books, I have to give Shooter credit for being exceptionally good at storytelling through the art and panel layouts.

My favorite comic "writer/storyteller" is Frank Miller. Not just because he comes up with engaging stories, but because he has such an amazing knack for visual storytelling. Moore may be a good "writer," but he's nowhere near the storyteller that Frank Miller is.

Y'know I suspected that's where you were coming from. There is certainly a school of thought that says the most perfect comics will always come from a single writer/artist/storyteller. Examples would be Eisner, Kurtzman, Steranko, Miller, Chaykin. (And to a lesser extent, Simonson, Grell, Byrne.)

But I suspect if you surveyed most of our very favorite books you'd find the vast majority of them came from writer/artist teams, such as

Lee & Kirby

O'Neil & Adams

Goodwin & Simonson

Claremont & Byrne

Englehart & Rogers

Moore & Anybody rates at the top of that latter list!

Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams is a classic example of yours. Both masters of their craft, and I think that O'Neill's written descriptions of panel layouts is superior enough that it doesn't matter that he doesn't "draw" comics -- he's still a master visual storyteller, even though he's not the one doing the drawing. Jim Shooter is another guy with great storytelling talent and deserves a mention.

Agreed. I don't remember seeing an O'Neil -script, but I know Shooter's first scripts (Legion of Super-Heroes in the 1960s when he was a teenager) were all done as thumbnail sketches.

Alan Moore is legendary for writing dense, detailed scripts with copious notes specific to the artist. Likewise Neil Gaiman. One of Gaiman's scripts is published in I believe the Sandman Dream Country TPB. Gaiman has said he prefers to not write the -script until he knows who will draw it, because he tries to tailor each -script to the artist's strength.

Or are you up in Frederick MD hoping your name isn't outed in that prostitution ring "black book"

That's old news, man. The only names people care about are the city officials. Plus, I always used my alias, Carl DeLaCruz. grin.gif

where is this prolific genius? Is he busy pulling a Ditko? Turning his back on the medium that made him the object of drunken fanboy's lusty fantasies. Please let me know when he is done with his childish pout and tantrum act, and tell him to get back to writing some quality material

He's still writing at this point. LOEG Vol. 2 was very good, and I know a bunch of peole that are into SMAX and Tom Strong. I don't think he's turning his back on the medium. He's said he's going to continue to do League even after he destroys the ABC Universe. And, he's been writing mainstream books for almost 25 years. How long should he continue for????

Mr. Carl needs to be given Saga of the Swamp Thing 36-53.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Mr. Carl also needs to be given Batman Annual 11 and Superman Annual 11. Superman Annual 11 is the best single issue comic story I've ever read. Also, while I'm thinking about it, Superman 423-Action 583.

Just curious, what ongoing storylines could you have cared less about, even if it was part of your favorite title(s)?

For me, it was the Kree-Skrull War. I liked the Skrulls when they were battling the FF, but the K-S War, I could care less what started it, how it was going, when/how it ended - nothing.

What are yours?

So many to choose from, but the Avengers Michael/Korvac story does stand out.

The Korvac saga was one of my favorite story arcs when I was growing up. Perhaps it depends what age you were when you read some of these stories mentioned here.

It really all is a matter of personal preference with a lot thats been listed (which is by and large not all bad), and there really is some terrible stuff that hasn't even been mentioned...and doesn't deserve to be. grin.gif

I agree. I enjoyed Jim Shooter's story and thought that Mike Zeck did a great job.

Spot on. Shooter and Zeck were a great team and Zeck did some great covers too.

Particularly #10(?) where Doc Doom is ready to take on the Beyonder in his wrecked armour. cool.gif

Yes, the cover of SW #10 was the best of the bunch! Maybe the best Dr. Doom drawing ever. thumbsup2.gif

I agree. I enjoyed Jim Shooter's story and thought that Mike Zeck did a great job.

Spot on. Shooter and Zeck were a great team and Zeck did some great covers too.

Particularly #10(?) where Doc Doom is ready to take on the Beyonder in his wrecked armour. cool.gif