• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackpot 4 VS. Pep 22

40 posts in this topic

Correct me if I am wrong because I am no Archie expert but why does Pep 22 get all the credit for having the first appearance of Archie when Jackpot 4 came out the exact same time, December 1941? And again why does Pep 36 get all the credit for having the first Archie cover when Jackpot 4 has the first cover appearance? Talk about disrespecting a comic!! Jackpot 4 deserves more respect!

Correct me if I am wrong because I am no Archie expert but why does Pep 22 get all the credit for having the first appearance of Archie when Jackpot 4 came out the exact same time, December 1941? And again why does Pep 36 get all the credit for having the first Archie cover when Jackpot 4 has the first cover appearance? Talk about disrespecting a comic!! Jackpot 4 deserves more respect!

i recall reading a long thread about this years ago, that left me feeling a strong urge to plunge sharpened pencils into my eyeballs [i overcame the urge by realizing that if i went forward, i'd never get to see action 116 again]. it would probably answer your question, tho' i wonder the value of that in light of the hit your sanity would take.

Isn't it because CGC decides which is the first appearance?

:jokealert:

Pep 22 is the first drawn story and was on the stands before Jackpot 4. But Jackpot 4 does have the real first cover appearance -- with an inset picture from the story in Pep 22. Could be they originally intended to put 1st Archie story in that issue and then changed their minds.

But Jackpot 4 is definitely underappreciated and probably undervalued

Pep 22 is Archie's first appearance, Pep 23 is his second, Jackpot 4 is likely tied with Pep 24 as his third appearance. At one point Shield looked for copies with arrival dates, and this was the result.

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

Pep 22 is Archie's first appearance, Pep 23 is his second, Jackpot 4 is likely tied with Pep 24 as his third appearance. At one point Shield looked for copies with arrival dates, and this was the result.

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

Thats good enough for me. Question answered! Next!! (thumbs u

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter 1941issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

As I recall, Pep 22 was on the stands in October, Pep 23 in November and Jackpot 4 in December. Being the Winter issue, Jackpot 4 would have theoretically been on sale from December through February.

if you looked at who started the thread, that should answer that question doh!

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter 1941issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

As I recall, Pep 22 was on the stands in October, Pep 23 in November and Jackpot 4 in December. Being the Winter issue, Jackpot 4 would have theoretically been on sale from December through February.

Hey Steve, just curious if you knew how these were distributed because as you mentioned Pep 22's indicia is listed as December,1941. So how could it have hit the stands in October?

Or did the indicia never really match up with when a book actually shipped?

Hey Steve, just curious if you knew how these were distributed because as you mentioned Pep 22's indicia lists it as December,1941. So how could it have hit the stands in October?

Books have a cover date that is later than the real date so stores would keep them on the stands longer.

Bruce

Hey Steve, just curious if you knew how these were distributed because as you mentioned Pep 22's indicia is listed as December,1941. So how could it have hit the stands in October?

Typically, books are (were?) on the stands 2 months or so before the cover date. Next time you see a book with an arrival date, compare that to the cover date.

Hey Steve, just curious if you knew how these were distributed because as you mentioned Pep 22's indicia lists it as December,1941. So how could it have hit the stands in October?

Books have a cover date that is later than the real date so stores would keep them on the stands longer.

Bruce

Cover date is when the newstand owner should pull the book from the newstand.