• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the rarest (in your opinion) from your favorite publisher?

32 posts in this topic

I'll begin with MLJ (from toughest to find to easiest of the "hard to find" books):

Black Hood Comics - #10 is the toughest to find of the run, but still attainable.

Blue Ribbon Comics - #9, #14, #20, #11.

Hangman Comics - #5, #7

Jackpot Comics #8 for sure, #4 is around, just expensive

Pep Comics -(Not in order) #3 in high grade, #22 is super expensive, #23 any copy, 24, 25, ,27, 31, 40, 42,44, 47,48

Shield-Wizard Comics - All can be found if you give some effort; #7 was tough for me.

Top-Notch Comics - #6 is a real mofo, #9 is everywhere and overpriced, #12 I've never seen ever, #17 ain't easy either.

Zip Comics - #3 is real tough, #11 is hard to find, #33 and #34 are super tough to find.

Anyone else? Hey Timely, do the Timelys!

Disney comics:

1) Donald Duck Tells About Kites (1954), Florida version (most likely does not exist)

2) WDC&S 4 (1941), complimentary copy

3) Mickey Mouse Magazine 1st series (1933), #1-9

4) Large Feature 16, 20 (1941)

5) Four Color 4 (1940)

Funny Pages 40 & 41 - incredibly rare. I've been collecting them for 10 years and only seen one of each. v4#1 is a little more common than Overstreet seems to think, but still tough. v2#10 is very tough also. I was surprised the last copy in Heritage went so cheap. I was ready to bid more for it, but took a last minute trip with my wife and forgot to bid confused.gif

If you get into the earlier issues, v1#6 is tough as is v1#9.

All American #5-15 seem to be really difficult (relative to other DCs) also.

DC Comics: New Fun Comics #2!!!! thumbsup2.gif Other honorable mentions (that I would like to own): Detective Comics #1, #2, and #3, New Fun Comics #1, All American 16, Adventure #40, More Fun Comics #52.

I would also include the New Comics #2 and New Adventure Comics #13 in as part of this hard to find group! thumbsup2.gif

Funny Pages 40 & 41 - incredibly rare. I've been collecting them for 10 years and only seen one of each. v4#1 is a little more common than Overstreet seems to think, but still tough. v2#10 is very tough also. I was surprised the last copy in Heritage went so cheap. I was ready to bid more for it, but took a last minute trip with my wife and forgot to bid confused.gif

If you get into the earlier issues, v1#6 is tough as is v1#9.

All American #5-15 seem to be really difficult (relative to other DCs) also.

I agree COMPLETELY with those statements (all All-American's between 3-15 are tough, I think), except that I didn't the the Funny Pages v2#10 went incredibly cheaply in the last Heritage auction. After all, it was a 5.5 and sold for over $2100, while Overstreet 6.0 is only $900. I know those books are undervalued in guide, but I still didn't think that $2185 was that cheap.

Other rare books (in my opinion) that I collect:

Amazing Mystery Funnies #1 and #2

Comic Cavalcade #3 and #4

Comics Magazine #1 and #5

Detective Comics 2-5, 7, 9, 11

Detective Picture Stories 2-4

And that's just through the letter D.

I'll add a letter "K": King Comics 1-10 in 3.0 or better, and I'll add a letter "S": Silver Streak Comics 1-5

Anyone selling any of these, let me know, I'll pay handsomely. wink.gif

Shiv!! You know I care about Superior (Inferior, haha!) horror! grin.gif I don't think I could really list a "top 5 " rarest from them, but I agree with you on Mysteries Weird&Strange # 5 and Strange Mysteries #17. Very tough books. The others on the list? I dunno... they were "easy" for me. There's other Superiors I haven't found besides those, so... We must compare notes someday! smirk.gif

well keith, i am jealous! i have been working on that publisher for a long time now & certain issues just keep avoiding me. Its feast or famine with certain numbers. Hands down, my favorite pre code horrors though, just too bizarre for words!

No doubt Superior was "out there" most of the time! Gotta love the covers!! I like to call them "Inferior" only as a jab at their ( IMO ) production standards, which seem a little less than top shelf for the time. Oh, those whacky Canucks! 27_laughing.gif Finding any of these guys in high grade is TOUGH, for sure!

DC Comics: New Fun Comics #2!!!! thumbsup2.gif Other honorable mentions (that I would like to own): Detective Comics #1, #2, and #3, New Fun Comics #1, All American 16, Adventure #40, More Fun Comics #52.

I would also include the New Comics #2 and New Adventure Comics #13 in as part of this hard to find group! thumbsup2.gif

Just came in the mail this week:

newcomics2.jpg

Woo hoo!

Wow, I haven't seen that one before. I have more #1 of that series than #2. What's the Gerber on it?
Go buy the Gerbers yourself instead of asking people.

Wow, I haven't seen that one before. I have more #1 of that series than #2. What's the Gerber on it?

I think it's a Gerber 7, but don't let that fool you. It's a devil. I don't think there are many scarcer 1930's DC's (that aren't one-shots or ashcans).

Go buy the Gerbers yourself instead of asking people.
I just sold off my set and hadn't replaced it yet. So, bug off troll.