• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

Wow, crazy thread. A few comments (probably redundant, but oh well):

#1 -- CGC obviously was wrong in the case of the All-Star #7. They should offer a reasonable compensation, end of story. (It sounds like they may have done so, or are willing to do so.)

#2 -- The Original Poster contends that because CGC mis-handled the #7, he can therefore conclude without hesitation that CGC similarly mis-handled the #8. I think he's overreaching.

#3 -- The OP claims the #8's lower staple was firmly attached upon submission to CGC. So far, no photos (the scan is inconclusive), no corroboration by others. The OP states that additional photos are forthcoming, but repeatedly cites health problems.

#4 -- It has been established that the lower staple was already popped, and then glued back in place prior to CGC submission. This leaves the possibility that the popped staple is not demonstrably worse than it was prior to restoration, and could be similarly restored.

#5 -- Question: If a staple is weakly attached, and then in the course of standard, careful CGC checking/handling the staple becomes popped or detached, what is the CGC policy in terms of their responsibility for the popped staple? Anybody have any experience in this realm?

#6 -- The original poster claims that CGC should compensate the comic's owner to the tune of $10,000. People have repeatedly asked the OP to explain how he arrived at this number. Nearly two-dozen pages later, the OP has not done so.

#7 -- A clever poster demonstrated that this copy of All-Star #8 has not only a glued staple, but a significant amount of color touch in the shading along the hand/wrist of the figure on the cover. The OP hasn't said much about this at all, but it does seem to severely undermine his $10,000 claim.

#8 -- I contend that the OP's claims that he cares about getting justice for the comic's owner are misguided at best. Starting a message thread by stating CGC "can't handle the truth," or whatever, while dramatizing the matter via public spectacle, and with highly unrealistic expectations for resolution ($10,000, etc.) only serves to drag out something that is likely to be stressful and unpleasant for the owner.

So the issue is, at some point before sending the #8 to CGC, the bottom staple was popped and glued, right? It then goes to CGC, they open it, possibly over zealously, and the glue is detached. Is that correct?

yes and no

Evidently there was a spot of glue done to it when owned by Jerry Bails, the original owner for some years, or maybe before he got it, which makes more sense,

When I inspected the books while in Jean Bails house, this #8 was firm on the surface of it

When a couple well respected collectors came thru to look at the All Stars in my warehouse, it was firm then as well. we had fun looking at many of the issues that night shortly before i flew down to CGC HQ. Their names can come out later, if necessary

Trying to figure out Mile High and other potential pedigrees on this or that number that night was fun as well.

One can see "fresh" paper pulled off of the inside cover paper from being forcibly opened too hard - I am just not getting a clear close up shot of that, am sorry to say

Am going to get a professional photographer in his studio I know here in town to make a clear shot of what I say here tomorrow.

Hmmm, the book has repair at bottom staple so it's weak, You and your friends are enjoying an evening of cigars,booze (my assumption) and comics. More than one collector thumbs through the book and you want to blame CGC for the staple? At the very least everyone thumbing through this book but wear on the staple repaired or not.

Even if the staple popped at CGC that doesn't mean they were negligent. I have inspected centerfold as they wre on their last leg sorta speak and that inspection was the final straw. Opening a book causes wear and tear and its reasonable to assume that can happen when every page needs inspecting. Furthmore the detection or restoration means they need to go through it with a fine tooth comb due to the immense pressure by collectors to detect it.

I don't wave the CGC banner so don't think I am taking their side, just trying to be fair the both sides.

I hate to point out the obvious, but...

If (as seems the case) the book had the lower staple reattached with glue and was color touched in the first place, why not just spend the $100 or so it would cost to have the cover reattached (again) professionally? I'm not sure how the book would be significantly different at that point than it was before it was sent to CGC... (shrug)

That’s what I said. No matter what happens or didn’t happened the book is a SP.

This would seem to be the logical solution to me. It would be one thing to be upset it's now going to be a PLOD which was what was originally implied but this is already a PLOD and should recieve the same grade when done as it would have with no staple pop.

With all due respect to yourself Bob, I don't believe the peanut gallery is the only place where off-topic remarks came from as I believe even you admit to often going on tangents in the midst of trying to make a point. :foryou:

Agreed. There is a lot of unnecessary words in here that do not get to the point. In fact they obscure the point. Also, for what it's worth the question has been asked twice by me and once by Buck (and I refuse to go through the whole thread again)...what was the grade given to the book and what was the expected grade before the staple pull?

if I recall, when bob showed me the book in MD a few years ago, it was in a cgc 5.0 slight holder

So this book was a crack resub or did you see it after the incedent in question?

:popcorn:

Please excuse the delay in being here last day or so.

Have to rest my hip joints on a regular basis, am still healing.

sitting upright puts upper body weight bearing down,

My point remains they broke these books,

an unknown (to me) CGC employee damaged them,

they need to buy them, then do what ever they wish to with them.

Pure and simple

The pro photographer I know here in town is out till Monday,

will get the proper close-up shots taken then

MillerMarlaine1981color.jpg[/img]

In the meantime, here is a fun blast from my past,

recently uncovered a few as I sort thru stuff in my new warehouse.

Many were destroyed in the '86 warehouse flooding.

These being from Dec 21 1981 when I hosted Frank Miller's

very first ever autographed party he ever had.

Twas for Death of Electra the week Daredevil #181 debuted

Buddy Saunders had him in Dallas the following week end

The only advertising i did for this event was to send a post card

to every other comic book store in the Bay Area - some 60 of them then

More than 4000 people came thru that week end, Dec 21, 1981,

half the store owners closed up shop to come get Frank's sig on stuff,

largest "Comicon" in the Bay Area up to that point.

Frank signed non-stop from 9 AM till 9 PM - a real trooper....

and there were still people turned away,

so we did it again for 6 hours the next day, Sunday

I published this print by Frank Miller for the event.

Frank called it "Lily Marlaine" referencing the famous World War One song

MillerMarlaine1981book.jpg

Later that night, he, me and some other close friends

went thru my (then) near complete Spirit section collection.

This is what i got in my memory book from Frank in return.

The comics business used to be fun :gossip:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/BLB-COMICS

http://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_NLU&feature=relateß

Member: Grand Comics Database : www.comics.org

Moderator: www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe/PlatinumAgeComics

Wow...I had no idea. Sorry to hear this Bob.

How did it happen?

How did it happen?

Love Is In The Air

Love is in the air everywhere I look around

Love is in the air every sight and every sound

And I don't know if I'm being foolish

I don't know if I'm being wise

But it's something that I must believe in

And it's there when I look in your eyes.

How did it happen

he went to cgc to hand-deliver the books. when one of the employees tried to hold the door for him, he accidentally let if fly back into him, hurting him. the poor guy was tired out from grading so many books that day, and it just happened. bob's going to do a reconstruction of the event, and his professional cameraman/photog/director buddy from california is going to do a short that will go up on youtube. channeling the success of that t.v. show, it will be titled "breaking beerbohm."

How did it happen

he went to cgc to hand-deliver the books. when one of the employees tried to hold the door for him, he accidentally let if fly back into him, hurting him. the poor guy was tired out from grading so many books that day, and it just happened. bob's going to do a reconstruction of the event, and his professional cameraman/photog/director buddy from california is going to do a short that will go up on youtube. channeling the success of that t.v. show, it will be titled "breaking beerbohm."

hm

Just curious but what did the graders notes say?

"now worth 10g's less than when we received it."

have never seen graders notes on any of Jerry's All Stars

Jean Bails asked personally for them last Sept - she emailed me back CGC was "stonewalling" her - her quoted word, not one I made up

Well if you had the label number anyone can call and get them. Why not give it a try?

Um, with all due respect, the grader notes were asked for last Sept by the owner -

and they just blew her off

think i will get further?

With no due respect, what they are saying is that if you know the serial number, anybody can call CGC and get the grader's notes. ANYBODY. Give me the serial number, I'll call them for you. doh!