• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

Aye. Aye. Bob be best compensated in gold doubloons. Or only the plank shall Haspel walk.

trip is, I am asking nothing for myself, never have, only thing I know for sure is I did not pop the staple off the book, nor did I place a huge hunk of tape on the #7

all joking aside, as I found out I cannot joke here without some thinking i am all serious and no humor, methinks

[quote

I didn't ask if they returned it. I asked if they compensated you monetarily for the book between the time it was lost and the time they found it and returned it to you.

My bad, I misunderstood, and I apologize for that. Short answer is no, I am glad they returned it,

Aye. Aye. Bob be best compensated in gold doubloons. Or only the plank shall Haspel walk.

trip is, I am asking nothing for myself, never have, only thing I know for sure is I did not pop the staple off the book, nor did I place a huge hunk of tape on the #7

all joking aside, as I found out I cannot joke here without some thinking i am all serious and no humor, methinks

Well, CGC ought to compensate you for your time lost. Perhaps work something out to obtain credit vouchers for future submissions...? Maybe that's the easiest out for both parties. (shrug)

Sealed up in that CGC plastic container, I think, will accelerate the break down process

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

But an incorrect one at that - the CGC case isn't air-tight; it does allow the paper to breathe.

I didn't ask if they returned it. I asked if they compensated you monetarily for the book between the time it was lost and the time they found it and returned it to you.

My bad, I misunderstood, and I apologize for that. Short answer is no, I am glad they returned it,

BAM! now thats a post we can all love!

short

sweet

answered the question.

and forsooth in English!

I know Im sounding harsh here, but youre trying to make a serious case, so why the theatricality? It's apropos of nothing that helps your case.

[quote

my only, mild, out-of-the-ordinary event with cgc involved getting my [mine then, ricky's now] twilight mc 1 graded. in the process, they misplaced the original twilight coa from showcase dan. it wasn't a really big deal, as my label had the twilight designation, and that's all i really needed. but for nostalgia's sake, i'da liked the coa back too. they were mortified they lost it, and gave me a free g.a. grading or two to make it up to me. first class.

BLB, you are correct that CGC popped the staple but they only popped it from the glue. The evidence indicates the popped staple was already popped and held on by a bit of glue with some CT to cover it up. Upon opening at CGC the glue let go of the staple. This is a restored book. Many of us have suffered the pain of discovering a treasured comic has restoration. It does not help by going into denial.

For your own health and well being let it go.

It would certainly seem this might be what actually happened. And if so, then CGC is not on the hook for anything re: the #8. That said, I think the problems with the #7 and the #22 deserve a more professional response and action than what CGC apparantly offered. The #7: CGC should have immediately paid them current GUIDE for the book; plain and simple. The #22: offer a complete refund for the grading fees AND an offer of perhaps 5 free submissions down the road. And CGC gets a failing grade by not at least calling BLB the minute they discovered the bottom staple had popped off the #8; that's just common courtesy and CUSTOMER SERVICE. (that is of course assuming they were aware it had popped; but they are the pros of the pros....they certainly had better know!) I have no horse in this race, and have never had serious issue with CGC, but their customer service skills do seem in need of a reality check. 2c

if I have been on a soap box tis cuz CGC stone walled this summer 2007 going into Fall, then I was too wrapped up in the pain of bone on bone zero cartilage crumbling fracturing hip joints till they got replaced Oct 20 2009 out in LA, and then proceeded to stone wall beginning in late Oct 2009 as I recovered from the intense pain, could think again, and my outrage over said stone walling has only grew in the months since. Then i got the threatening email from some CGC lawyer threatening to sue me. Only made me stronger.

If someone was asking me for $10,000 as compensation for a restored All-Star #8, I would probably be stonewalling them also.

While the offer on the #7 sounds legitimately low, your expectations on the #8 are so pie-in-the-sky as to make compromise still an absurd number.

Perhaps if you were to be a bit more realistic there could be some progress....

Sealed up in that CGC plastic container, I think, will accelerate the break down process

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

But an incorrect one at that - the CGC case isn't air-tight; it does allow the paper to breathe.

Yes and no. The innards that a book is sealed in is what I was thinking, the sealed mylar inside.

not the outer heavy casing, which, yes, does allow for some breathing to occur, yes, I fully agree.

these are just my thoughts on that subject, my main point being once a book is no longer white or off white, the break down process does not let up, it will continue to deteriorate over time once the sulphur content of the paper has begun to break down

hence, to me for a long time, whiteness of paper is more important than spine bends or small corner creases. To each his own

I might add that I am not "anti" certification concepts of CGC doing what they do.

I am simply not into it, others may do what they wish as well re thinking they need to push they books thru the CGC system.

Me, I do not understand mid to low grade books being CGC'd in that they are "reader" copies already, hence, what does it matter

I can see nice high grades being inspected and encapsulated.

Not into it, but I can see it worthwhile for some collectors.

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

Yes and no. The innards that a book is sealed in is what I was thinking, the sealed mylar inside.

That's not air-tight either.

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

Most of the gases released from the paper over time get trapped in there with the book though, which I'm guessing is what he's referring to. This is why they put the microchamber paper in the slab and why CGC recommends getting it replaced every 7 years.

I don't get why they didn't design a slit down the side of the outer case and inner well to allow for this. hm

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

Most of the gases released from the paper over time get trapped in there with the book though, which I'm guessing is what he's referring to. This is why they put the microchamber paper in the slab and why CGC recommends getting it replaced every 7 years.

I personally consider the fact that CGC would like for you to replace the cases every 7 years nothing more than a marketing ploy - there's zero scientific data to support the notion that microchamber paper becomes inert after 7 years, and even if it did, it's not like the microchamber paper would harm the book; it would be no different than storing a book in a closed-top mylar.

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

That's not air-tight either.

I've always thought that if they could make it air tight and seal the book in a nitrogen atmosphere, they would be providing a very valuable conservation product.

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

I personally consider the fact that CGC would like for you to replace the cases every 7 years nothing more than a marketing ploy - there's zero scientific data to support the notion that microchamber paper becomes inert after 7 years, and even if it did, it's not like the microchamber paper would harm the book; it would be no different than storing a book in a closed-top mylar.

And CGC has said exactly that.

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

That's almost a haiku.

And CGC has said exactly that.

And how many books actually get replaced with new containers in the time span mentioned? Maybe you "experts" here, but out in the "real" world, maybe not so

OK, just for the sake of argument, per se, the CGC container is all hunky-dory

What i was referring to in this thought pattern was that once paper begins to "go," there is no stopping the degradation of said pulp paper

- one can slow it down, but it will keep decomposing

reason why I said that whiteness of paper is the ultimate key to how a comic book should be graded - and, again, repeating myself, tis my humble opine spent from over four decades dealing with all this stuff seeing books "go"

we can argue semantics, but dem be de facts as many of us see them who do not evolve and revolve around and inside the CGC world

And, yo, Mister Evans, yes, I be crazy, just like every one else who thinks this stuff to be worth big bucks forever.

It is not crazy to state that once pulp paper begins to "go" that the CGC container will protect it from further off-white > yellow > brown > eventual brittle

I have always felt CGC's standards should give more weight to whiteness of paper than stuff like spine bends, etc

as in long term health of one's "investment"

That is ultimately an opine

nothing more, nothing less