• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAY FEATURED COMICLINK AUCTION!

398 posts in this topic

Action #14 CGC 6.5 is up to $4000

Action #65 CGC 9.2 $3650 :o

I love being an Action collector. :cloud9:

Conversely, I'm glad I'm not. Couldn't afford it :(

+1 I cannot understand for the life of me how I would build my collection with the current prices. For me, it just wouldn't be possible, and I make decent money ...

+1 I cannot understand for the life of me how I would build my collection with the current prices. For me, it just wouldn't be possible, and I make decent money ...

It's even worse for me. I sold my collection in the 90s and now face the stark reality that I can't rebuild it. Impossible.

So, I settle for a few books here and there and focus on cool cheap stuff. And like you, I make a fairly good living. But at $1000 a crack or better for 300 - 400 books? Ain't gonna happen

It's even worse for me. I sold my collection in the 90s and now face the stark reality that I can't rebuild it. Impossible.

So, I settle for a few books here and there and focus on cool cheap stuff. And like you, I make a fairly good living. But at $1000 a crack or better for 300 - 400 books? Ain't gonna happen

Well, you don't do it all at once. Figure out what your annual budget is and that's what you spend each year, and you keep chipping away at it year after year.

Well, you don't do it all at once. Figure out what your annual budget is and that's what you spend each year, and you keep chipping away at it year after year.

And 15 years after I'm deceased, I will have completed one run

:wishluck:

That is exactly how I collected. Year after year I added 10 to 20 books to my collection until I got down to a few remaining books, and then I got quite picky until I found really decent copies. Once I finished the Batman run and put all my effort on the Detective run, I realized it was never goint to happen. The big problem is what ever I don't buy this year will cost more next year. Each year they get more expensive making it even harder to finish. Now I have my 1976 collection to finish and I snag a few books that have what I consider "cool". Finishing a GA or even SA run is getting too expensive.

Your kids will thank you!

The big problem is what ever I don't buy this year will cost more next year. Each year they get more expensive making it even harder to finish.

This is true, and is one of the reasons I prioritized getting keys first, because they tended to rise up faster than other books in the run.

But also, hopefully your annual budget goes up a bit more each year too, whether because you're making more at work, or you've gotten closer to your retirement goals and have more discretionary income. My budget is certainly different today than 10 years ago.

I have no budget for comics. I only have the $$ that I make selling comics. So, I've always set reasonable goals. It's never occurred to me to try to complete an Action run, so I've focused on #29-63, a run of books that I really like, and now I'm 3 books away from completing that goal. Same with Supes. My goal was 2-20, and I've managed to finish that mini-run.

The big problem is what ever I don't buy this year will cost more next year. Each year they get more expensive making it even harder to finish.

This is true, and is one of the reasons I prioritized getting keys first, because they tended to rise up faster than other books in the run.

But also, hopefully your annual budget goes up a bit more each year too, whether because you're making more at work, or you've gotten closer to your retirement goals and have more discretionary income. My budget is certainly different today than 10 years ago.

And I've adopted that approach too in some ways Tim. I am chasing keys again, albeit lower grade, but they show no signs of going down so I better get them now

It is frustrating however, to remember putting together complete runs of GA and SA titles over a period of a decade, then selling them off. Only now to realize I can't go back. But, in some ways I'm less of a completist than I was then, so I make my peace with that

I have no budget for comics. I only have the $$ that I make selling comics. So, I've always set reasonable goals. It's never occurred to me to try to complete an Action run, so I've focused on #29-63, a run of books that I really like, and now I'm 3 books away from completing that goal. Same with Supes. My goal was 2-20, and I've managed to finish that mini-run.

I, like Jeff, have chosen to focus on a "mini-run" that I really enjoy, which is Actions #s 40-50. I just really like this run as it has 4 wonderful WWII covers, a train cover, 2 "thugs running away in terror" covers, the 1st Luthor cover, and the #49 & #50 seem difficult to get and are also decent covers. Just need 4 more to complete the run. :banana:

I also dabble in the early Shuster covers, and currently have #10,20,21,23. but these are getting VERY expensive and can only see myself getting maybe one more then I'm done with those.

but I just buy whenever I am able to, that simple.

It is frustrating however, to remember putting together complete runs of GA and SA titles over a period of a decade, then selling them off. Only now to realize I can't go back. But, in some ways I'm less of a completist than I was then, so I make my peace with that

The other rule of collecting comics successfully, proved by decades of empirical evidence, is never sell.

I hear you, I remember when you could (for the most part) put together a run of Action 4-23 in VG or better, or a run of Phantom Ladys in VF or better. Those days seem to be over. :(

At the latest Comiclink auction there may only be a small handful of books that I can pick up.

I have my eyes set on some books, but so do dozens of other people.

The hobby seems to be a lot more crowded place.

The other rule of collecting comics successfully, proved by decades of empirical evidence, is never sell.

Quite true...never sale awesome classic covers, awesome illustrator, and grails. I rarely sale...maybe some soon.