• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

What do you do?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

84 posts in this topic

If I had a book to sell that was worth anywhere close to that amount, I'd have to be pretty damned stupid to not do a modicum of research on value.

And if I was that stupid, and did undervalue it and it was bought, I'd have to honour the price I sold it for. Golden Rule scenario, as far as I'm concerned

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I'll stick my neck out here, and be the first to say I would not go through with the initial sale. $10k is too much to throw away on an honest mistake. I'd rather put that money toward my kid's college fund, and I'd sleep well at night.

(In actuality, the real seller gave some BS excuse as to why he could not go through with the sale. I would have just been honest about it, if it were me.)

I think I might have to agree with you on this. 10k is about half of my annual income. It might not seem like much to some people but to others it's a VERY significant amount to just let it slip by.

I can't really answer this, I can't imagine putting anything up without doing the research first, especially something that key. (shrug)

I most certainly would honor the transaction,but for the life of me I don't think I would leave that much on the table. (shrug)

A deal is a deal. If you under researched that badly, nobody to blame but yourself.

I can't believe 31% on here chose the other option. Combined with other recent happenings, makes me start to wonder about the caliber of the people here...

At least the newer members.

I'm not sure but I think I might be offended by this. I've been buying/selling comics for 25+ years and I've never taken advantage of anyone on a deal either way. I'm not saying what this guy did was right, especially since he plugged in the BIN amount but... see my previous post in this thread.

On a side note, I've only been on this board since August of 2009 but there seems to be a certain degree of superiority complex displayed by some, but not all, of the members who have been posting here the longest. I for one would appreciate seeing newer members treated with a little more respect than they get by those aforementioned members. Just because you've been a member here for a longer period of time doesn't mean you know more, are more trustworthy, can grade more accurately or are automatically due respect from newer members.

I can't believe 31% on here chose the other option. Combined with other recent happenings, makes me start to wonder about the caliber of the people here...

I'm an old time member, and I think (hope) that people here who have known me have nothing bad to say about me. I have sold books on here, bought books on here, and always been a straight shooter. ;)

A deal is a deal. If you under researched that badly, nobody to blame but yourself.

I'm not sure but I think I might be offended by this. I've been buying/selling comics for 25+ years and I've never taken advantage of anyone on a deal either way. I'm not saying what this guy did was right, especially since he plugged in the BIN amount but... see my previous post in this thread.

Errrr, well,, 2 posts up you just said you'd break your word in this case - if the money was there.

I don't know what the OP was referring too, but I think it was along the lines people aren't what they used to be. That's a generality I know, there still are some boy scouts, etc. Seems like decent people are harder to find every day though.

yeah, $400 is bad, but it's not vomit inducing. It's hard to say where I would draw the line, but I would take a $400 hit before reneging on a sale. .

And thank you for giving the most clear cut example of why laws are written.

If your internal compass starts to point south instead of north when the dollar figure gets over $400 there's a handy dandy law staring you right in the face to get you back to true north.

There's not much point in reneging on a sale of this magnitude if you are just going to wind up litigating the matter and (depending on jurisdiction) paying the original buyer the ENTIRE DIFFERENCE between what he would have paid you and what you sold it for PLUS ATTY'S FEES, or Treble Damages if the court finds your conduct willful and the local legislature has allowed for it.

See? When the dollar figure prevents you from making the right choice, there's probably a law out there to help you along down the road to where you should be headed.

And make no mistake, something this clear cut, and for this much money, would get litigated every day of the week and twice on Sunday, ESPECIALLY, if it gets resold to someone else for more money.

I really can't believe there was a poll question asking something that's so clear cut between wrong and right. It is an interesting window into the ethics set that some people carry around.

I really can't believe there was a poll question asking something that's so clear cut between wrong and right. It is an interesting window into the ethics set that some people carry around.

It's a clear case of the seller not knowing the value of what he had.

What are YOUR ethics? (and I ask that to everyone here who voted that the seller had to honor the BIN)

Is it ok to buy something from a seller for far less than it is worth, without saying something? Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to buy an Action #1 from an old lady for $1 without her knowing any better? Is it OK to take advantage of someone's ignorance?

(forget what the seller should or should not have known. he obviously did not know the value. The "why" doesn't really matter to me.)

You can say that there is a difference between the 2, but really there are only shades of gray.

What are YOUR ethics? (and I ask that to everyone here who voted that the seller had to honor the BIN)

Is it ok to buy something from a seller for far less than it is worth, without saying something? Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to buy an Action #1 from an old lady for $1 without her knowing any better? Is it OK to take advantage of someone's ignorance?

(forget what the seller should or should not have known. he obviously did not know the value. The "why" doesn't really matter to me.)

You can say that there is a difference between the 2, but really there are only shades of gray.

This was not a clear case of the seller not knowing what he had.

The FACTS point in the exact opposite direction of that statement. If an "Overstreet Contributor" taking responsibility for setting the annual blue book of market values for books such as this doesn't know the market then no one does.

This is like a car dealer seeking to undo a sales contract claiming he didn't know the value of a car.

That just won't fly, and you can't revise the fact pattern to turn a guy who holds himself out to be an expert in the field to be rube instead.

Don't be a total tool and put a "BIN" on an item you know nothing about.

There. I've solved the idiotic hypothetical problems that we dream up on this board because we're all too *spoon* consumed with manufacturing another controversy. doh!

Don't be a total tool and put a "BIN" on an item you know nothing about.

There. I've solved the idiotic hypothetical problems that we dream up on this board because we're all too *spoon* consumed with manufacturing another controversy. doh!

Controversy?

Like say someone implying that someone else is using an avatar from a Maniac Mansion short film?

And then that person neither confirming or denying BUT then they're at the mercy of the villagers for not disclosing it.

There was actually a case like this a little while back on the boards that I was involved with in a round about way. Someone had a Kirby Demon Splash for sell :banana: They asked some people what they thought it was worth and got some numbers which is what they put it up for sell at. I missed it barely and our own Chromium snagged it. :pullhair: I did PM the original seller to let him know if the deal fell through to let me know. He said it looked like he had under priced it, but the deal was done. :golfclap: I also PM Chromium to see if he wanted to make a quick profit, which he didn't. :sorry: needless to say, I cried myself to sleep that night ???. But what should happen? Chromium spies another item even more dear to him than the splash and offers to sell me the splash ! :banana:

Needless to say, I slept like a baby after the deal was done. :acclaim:

The moral of the story is you had a seller that priced an item below market and it quickly sold. The seller found out he could have made more off it, but the deal was done. He did the right thing.

Says who?

Is it ok to buy something from a seller for far less than it is worth, without saying something?

This is a RAW book. The risks involved with buying raw books are well known. How do you know there's not a serious problem with the book that is undisclosed that would make it worth much LESS than the BIN price?

Where do you draw the line? Is it ok to buy an Action #1 from an old lady for $1 without her knowing any better? Is it OK to take advantage of someone's ignorance?

If that old lady priced it at $1, then it was a fair deal. it is not the ethical obligation of *anyone* to educate a seller on what they have. If you want to tell her how much it's worth, great. But you're not ethically obligated to do so.

The only obligation you would have is if the old lady asked you what thought it was worth...then you have an ethical obligation to answer honestly.

No, there's quite a clear line.

yeah, $400 is bad, but it's not vomit inducing. It's hard to say where I would draw the line, but I would take a $400 hit before reneging on a sale. .

And thank you for giving the most clear cut example of why laws are written.

If your internal compass starts to point south instead of north when the dollar figure gets over $400 there's a handy dandy law staring you right in the face to get you back to true north.

There's not much point in reneging on a sale of this magnitude if you are just going to wind up litigating the matter and (depending on jurisdiction) paying the original buyer the ENTIRE DIFFERENCE between what he would have paid you and what you sold it for PLUS ATTY'S FEES, or Treble Damages if the court finds your conduct willful and the local legislature has allowed for it.

See? When the dollar figure prevents you from making the right choice, there's probably a law out there to help you along down the road to where you should be headed.

And make no mistake, something this clear cut, and for this much money, would get litigated every day of the week and twice on Sunday, ESPECIALLY, if it gets resold to someone else for more money.

You know, I think the poll is really telling. It is 100% hidden who replies what so I think it accurately reflects what people would do. Something to consider ... hm

Errrr, well,, 2 posts up you just said you'd break your word in this case - if the money was there.

I don't know what the OP was referring too, but I think it was along the lines people aren't what they used to be. That's a generality I know, there still are some boy scouts, etc. Seems like decent people are harder to find every day though.

Yeah I did, for a dollar amount that equals half my annual income. I don't think you're quite grasping my point. There have been several posters in this thread whose posts read like 10k is no big deal, good for them if they can let that much slide by and not sweat it. Not all of us are in such a fortunate position.

I'm not siding with the buyer or seller on this given the situation. Should the seller have known the price was too low? Absolutely. Should the buyer have contacted the seller and pointed it out? On an item with this kind of value, absolutely. Otherwise what makes the buyer in this case any better than the seller? We don't know all the details on either the buyer's or seller's side of this. How long was this item up for before the BIN was hit? It's not impossible that ebay had a glitch when the seller listed the item and it showed up with the wrong BIN price. I know I've been listing multiple items at the same time on there before that have showed up with the scans of the previous item I listed. Maybe the seller didn't see the price was wrong until it was too late. Who knows? And at this point, who cares?

This happened to me with a tough FF book in 9.6...won it on a buy-it-now of $750 but it was worth 2x-4x that and both myself and the seller were flooded with requests to buy it after the sale, including from multiple boardies. The seller thought he was doing fine listing it at about 4x Overstreet NM, but he learned that apparently he hadn't! He did go through with the sale. :cloud9:

Was that the #52 ? :cloud9: What's that, a $5k book now in 9.6 ?