• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it likely that the most valuable Comic books will be faked?

53 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2010 at 3:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Cerebus #1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles#1, Eerie #1, X-men #94 have already been counterfeited. I have a duplicate copy of All American #16 that is not a terrific reprint but to the average person it would pass as a real comic.

What's to stop someone counterfeiting a million dollar book?

Ethics, which fakers don't really have

43 minutes ago, N e r V said:

It took you 9 years to comment on a post? :devil:

It had been on his mind.

1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie cards have been counterfeited to death. Easy to get scammed if you don't know what to look for, but the miniscule differences between the original and the best fakes are always there. And that's a lousy trading card, not a multi-page book.

Edited by nines

Faking an 80 year old book would be very tough to do and very easy to get caught doing.   Much easier to get away with faking hulk 181s and the like although I’m sure that’s not easy either

With today's technology, anything is possible. A lot of fake higher end sports cards out there such as the 86 Fleer Jordan rookie which was previously mentioned and of course the 52 Mantle rookie. It appears to me that a lot of these counterfeit sports cards are looking more and more like the real ones, even with the most minuscule of detail. 

Dunno how counterfeited comics look, never seen one that looks identical to the original. Only see a lot of the reprints. 

As has been pointed out in other threads over time, if you produce a counterfeit plastic slab, the only part of the comic that needs to be faked is the cover.  The interior pages can be blank.  I believe they already produce fake slabbed coins.

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

As has been pointed out in other threads over time, if you produce a counterfeit plastic slab, the only part of the comic that needs to be faked is the cover.  The interior pages can be blank.  I believe they already produce fake slabbed coins.

Ah, but can they fake the Newton Rings?  9_9

7 hours ago, Bookery said:

You would also have to pick one to counterfeit with a matching serial number to fake as well. Not going to work if someone looks up the label number and doesn’t match the book. You’d also be in trouble if someone saw their case counterfeited.

Still a lot of counterfeit money changes hands even though it’s not great looking.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:59 PM, N e r V said:

It took you 9 years to comment on a post? :devil:

Is there something posted today that we can expect a comment on in 2028? :baiting:

No. I wasn't. Probably would not be even allowed on the boards 9 years ago-age min is likely 13, I was 10.

Likely Comment in 2028 is Laughing in heinsight on everyone poo pooing mega Key Restored Books-as it will become more mainstream and accepted. 

40 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

No. I wasn't. Probably would not be even allowed on the boards 9 years ago-age min is likely 13, I was 10.

Likely Comment in 2028 is Laughing in heinsight on everyone poo pooing mega Key Restored Books-as it will become more mainstream and accepted. 

True, restored books have become more accepted; nothing wrong with that.  It’s all about public disclosure.  This is where third party grading shines.  

Conversely, the biggest issue which may face the future of grading companies isn’t detecting fakes, restoration or conservation, but rather the dubious press & bump game that encourages comic investors to roll the dice playing hopscotch with HG copies.  This should make collectors nervous, but as some have correctly pointed out, the issue has been discussed ad nauseam since CGC’s earliest days, with no resolution forthcoming.  For many folks, I suppose this is just.the way things are, but it’s a sad reflection on the hobby, IMO.

Sorry for the digression, ...I now return control of this bumped thread to my fellow brainiacs for additional dissection.  :headbang:

19 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

True, restored books have become more accepted; nothing wrong with that.  It’s all about public disclosure.  This is where third party grading shines.  

Conversely, the biggest issue which may face the future of grading companies isn’t detecting fakes, restoration or conservation, but rather the dubious press & bump game that encourages comic investors to roll the dice playing hopscotch with HG copies.  This should make collectors nervous, but as some have correctly pointed out, the issue has been discussed ad nauseam since CGC’s earliest days, with no resolution forthcoming.  For many folks, I suppose this is just.the way things are, but it’s a sad reflection on the hobby, IMO.

Sorry for the digression, ...I now return control of this bumped thread to my fellow brainiacs for additional dissection.  :headbang:

The savvy collector knows to collect only low grades.  As you say, with multiple pressings low-grade books are getting to be quite scarce, while high-grade books are always increasing in number.  For example... to date there are no known low-grade copies of Batman Damned.  Should one ever surface, the lucky owner could be looking at retirement-level money!

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

The savvy collector knows to collect only low grades.  As you say, with multiple pressings low-grade books are getting to be quite scarce, while high-grade books are always increasing in number.  For example... to date there are no known low-grade copies of Batman Damned.  Should one ever surface, the lucky owner could be looking at retirement-level money!

78CCDDD5-FB95-4139-B2D9-A216140C27D5.gif.95df385c7c846abdc82c65ccb92d0bfd.gif