• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Scott Pilgrim be the sleeper comic book movie hit of 2010?

11 posts in this topic

Part question, part recommendation.

Based on the trailer, I picked up the first book in the Scott Pilgrim series by Oni Press. The next day, I ran out to buy the other four books that have been released. (Six is expected in July.) The story is part character study about Scott and his friends, part romantic comedy with Scott and Ramona, and part surreal manga slap down when Scott has to defeat Ramona's seven evil ex-boyfriends. The art looks simple on first glance, but Brian Lee O'Malley is an expert at nuance, expressing emotion and feelings with just a few lines. Do I recommend it? Heck yeah. It's probably also a great way to get some non-comic readers (e.g. girlfriends, daughters, and wives) interested in a graphic narrative.

I'll see Iron Man 2, but I wonder if it will be one of those movies that does great the first week then falls off. Scott Pilgrim has the potential, I think, to be a sleeper hit that generates viewers slowly, by word of mouth, and will cross-over into more than just the comic book/action movie/blockbuster viewers.

I saw parts of this movie being filmed in Toronto last summer. While it was really hot, there was artificial snow all over the Casa Loma grounds for weeks. I guess you can't film scenes of Toronto without any snow. Also saw a film crew at Sonic Boom, a large hip music store on Bloor Street West. Haven't read the graphic novels yet but I really should, especially before seeing the movie. Heard nothing but great things about them.