• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Trend at Comic Conventions???

133 posts in this topic

Now, what was it you were saying about dealers not paying 50% of OPG back then....?

Seems to me, by your estimate, that dealer was offering you about 80% of guide....

------------------

But I'm pretty sure he said he had buyers in his store for the good stuff. But this was good stuff, keys (other than the IM Subby, back then at least). This wasn't "nearly everything."

Oh come on, now you're just waffling. ;)

Regardless of WHY the dealer was offering that much (and don't ALL dealers have "buyers back home" eventually? Or they wouldn't be buying anything?) the fact is, they offered 80% for "the good stuff"...it's certainly not hard to see that they would offer 50% for everything else."

OK, I'll admit, that was a particularly good day, I won't pretend that was the typical deal out there, but that was my benchmark.

WOOHOO!! I got a concession out of blob!

Oh fraptious day! I has won me a concession! :whee:

Thanks, Blobby...my day is complete. :cloud9:

we have now bored everyone to tears.

my work is finished.

with that said, i doubt he was paying 50% for "everything else" when he was selling me $25 (on average, in OPG) spideys for $10 each (granted, a stack of 30 of them, so quantity was a factor). personally, i was shocked he offered the $1000 and I wonder if the terms would have changed if I accepted (like, "I'll give you $500 in cash and $500 in "trade"), but who knows.

i know what I was paying for stuff back then. 50% off for SA other than maybe keys and high grade was the starting point for negotiations if you had money to spend. (and dropping $500-$1000 at a table was a big deal back then) i also know that when an OPG update came out later in the 90s it kicked the krap out of the prices for a lot of this mid-grade stuff I had been buying and even the "deals" circa 1993 were not as great (other than for the sharp stuff).

Thanks for the posts.

Many years ago was travelling with my wife and popped into a small show. All I can remember was her comments on how few women were present, and the lingering unpleasant smells.

Now I can't get her to visit a con from the bad experience.

surprisingly, my wife, who has some mutant level super sense of smell, didn't complain that much at the last show I dragged her to and that was a free one that was REALLY crowded. but yes, she did notice the stinkers there, but I sweated so much at the show (even though I had showered before) I was not really much better. it helped that between the show and where we parked the car we walked through a block that stunk so bad of homeless guys' urine (literally, that must be the place where they all hang out to pee in the area), which might have thrown her nose for a loop for the afternoon.

she's actually game for one of the big NYC shows this year and would do SDCC in a heartbeat if we were in SD anyway. she's a very girly girl gal, but she's also a [not so secret] sci fi geek on the side.

Now, what was it you were saying about dealers not paying 50% of OPG back then....?

Seems to me, by your estimate, that dealer was offering you about 80% of guide....

------------------

But I'm pretty sure he said he had buyers in his store for the good stuff. But this was good stuff, keys (other than the IM Subby, back then at least). This wasn't "nearly everything."

Regardless of WHY the dealer was offering that much (and don't ALL dealers have "buyers back home" eventually? Or they wouldn't be buying anything?) the fact is, they offered 80% for "the good stuff"...it's certainly not hard to see that they would offer 50% for everything else."

OK, I'll admit, that was a particularly good day, I won't pretend that was the typical deal out there, but that was my benchmark.

And thay say that Americans can't do irony. meh

------------------

I give concessions all the time.

Just not to you.

:P

------------------

Yeah, I too was hoping he was done posting for the day .

------------------

I expect lip from F_T. It is, after all, his raison d'être...but you?

:shrug:

------------------

Just not to you.

I'll have a box of popcorn, some cotton candy and a medium Sprite, please.

(shrug)

------------------

I expect lip from F_T. It is, after all, his raison d'être...but you?

:shrug:

et tu chrisco? :grin:

------------------

Just not to you.

(shrug)

'ey! Don't you have a case to be reviewing or something...?

;)

------------------

Just not to you.

(shrug)

'ey! Don't you have a case to be reviewing or something...?

;)

It's Friday! :whee:

Besides, I'm trying to pack up about 3/4 of a long box of comics that I sold in my sales thread last week.

The one where you didn't even stop by once.... :sorry:

:insane:

not to beat a dead horse that is already crawling with maggots, but i think there's a difference between what most dealers are (or were, back in 1992) going to offer some random blob off the street with a box o comics he isn't sure are worth anything vs. a savy collector who has a decent sense of things. i got a high offer because the guy knew i had a decent sense of what the stuff was worth, etc. had my father walked into the guy's store with these comics I suspect he might have been offered $50. and let's be honest, particularly in 1993, wasn't the scenario of a clueless someone with a box of comics a little more common? i rarely ever saw people bring comics in to my old (circa 1990s) LCS (and I worked there p-t for a while in law school mind you) who had a good idea of what they were worth and those who did (with good stuff) were already customers who often sold them on consignment. i know there are some honest folks out there who would tell someone they have a box of treasure, but most comic shop owners would not.

not to beat a dead horse that is already crawling with maggots, but i think there's a difference between what most dealers are (or were, back in 1992) going to offer some random blob off the street with a box o comics he isn't sure are worth anything vs. a savy collector who has a decent sense of things. i got a high offer because the guy knew i had a decent sense of what the stuff was worth, etc. had my father walked into the guy's store with these comics I suspect he might have been offered $50. and let's be honest, particularly in 1993, wasn't the scenario of a clueless someone with a box of comics a little more common? i rarely ever saw people bring comics in to my old (circa 1990s) LCS (and I worked there p-t for a while in law school mind you) who had a good idea of what they were worth and those who did (with good stuff) were already customers who often sold them on consignment. i know there are some honest folks out there who would tell someone they have a box of treasure, but most comic shop owners would not.

Or the reverse, as I have had (in 1992) bubba off the street pull into the

parking lot with a pickup bed full of comics that were sun baked and rain

blown wanting NM above guide prices for toilet paper, and claiming he

had them in his possesion since they were new. Both ends of the stick

are indeed silly. My standard answer then was " I just don't have the cash

to buy such a big buck collection."

Then I'd aim them at Bedrock. :baiting:

What`s going on now at the conventions? Seems like everybody is talking about what happened 15 to 20 years ago.Great knowledge here and I loved reading about it but I think the op was more interested in what dealers were doing now. I could be wrong though.

So at a very recent comic convention I noticed a lot of dealers with really high prices on their books. A lot of these guys were tagging these books at around 4x OSPG; then they advertised 50% off. That still left those books way overpriced.

Are people actually buying books at these prices? I've always considered selling higher volumes of items rather than selling items at higher prices as the best business plan.

It seems it would be awful hard to cover the table fees if you only sell a few overpriced books to a few people who don't have an idea of book values.

Is this your report from one of the first comic book conventions from the 1970's?

I love reading about old news here on the boards. (thumbs u