• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Trend at Comic Conventions???

133 posts in this topic

Seems like old hat to me. I can't remember a time when I haven't seen this practice. (shrug)

Ditto.

It was new to me when I was new to conventions. Now I realize that's just the way it is...and has been.

I think it depends on the books. GA and early SA material in high grade isn't readily available. This means that a prospective buyer is unlikely to find a cheaper alternative even if the asking price is higher than the Overstreet guide. This also means that a dealer is unlikely to find a replacement copy to keep in stock once the current copy is sold.

Sometimes, the fair market value isn't reflected accurately in the guide, and the difficulty of re-stocking can influence the asking price.

Strong point. Hard to argue what is an acceptable discount or multiplier on guide when every book is different. If we're talking AF #15, Marvel #9 or a Fantastic #3 then throw away the guide.

If we're talking mid grade late 1960's SA or coppers, well then you can make a case that the stuff is overpriced.

I find most dealers are willing to negotiate with a reasonable buyer...ie don't tell them you're buying because your dying family member needs a copy when they don't and you're actually buying to flip etc etc.

If you're a decent buyer, meaning you are reasonable to talk to or even a regular to some of the dealers, they might even cut you a "fair" price without even asking. There are some dealers that I buy from that just do it.

It makes sense that things might be priced on the high side because of the "piazza" atmosphere at cons. Everyone wants to wheel and deal. I've seen people try to wheel and deal on a $1 or a $3 book from the bargain bins.

doh!

Once a price is set the seller can always go down, but he can't negotiate up.

People like deals. Overpricing and offering discounts works. Some buyers are educated and know how to grade but many don't.

Buyers will walk by my table and buy from the guy with the big 50% off signs even if the net deal is much worse. Heck, the "bad" sellers buy from my boxes before every show and reprice and sell much higher.

A few show back a happy buyer proudly showed us the Brave and Bold 28 that he picked up for 20% off guide. Too bad the guide was for a Fn book and the book was G at best. Dumb bunny.

My favorite local guy has no prices on his books.

We pull them down, grade the books, open up the guide and go from there. The onus is on me to know where we should land price-wise. Generally, we come to a win-win scenario: I pay about FMV or slightly below (or well below some times) and I come back. He doesn't squeeze me dry (after all he probably paid $ 1 for it 20 years ago as part of a collection or estate) and he gets continued business. In the end, we both walk away happy.

I agree with most of the comments thus far. I'd rather have strictly graded books where dealers offered only a very modest discount (or no discount) rather than inflated grades and prices.

Excellent comment. I agree 100% . I don't even stop at the 50% off dealers at a con. I automatically assume it's overpriced junk to begin with so why bother.

Price it fairly and offer a modest discount.

It's been happening since I've been going to comic conventions back in the late 80's. That's why I've stopped buying from dealers and just buy from online auctions.

The worst part of this type of practice is that it continues because assumes the buyer is stupid and can't grade properly or do a little bit of third-grade level math in their head.

Fixed.

Sadly.

I agree with most of the comments thus far. I'd rather have strictly graded books where dealers offered only a very modest discount (or no discount) rather than inflated grades and prices.

Excellent comment. I agree 100% . I don't even stop at the 50% off dealers at a con. I automatically assume it's overpriced junk to begin with so why bother.

Interesting perspective, as I'm just about the opposite. If dealers do not have 50% box, then I assume they don't even want to compete and just ignore them (thread on this a while back). I've found that if you can grade decently, not all, but most of the 50% off dealers are pretty accurate (the key is knowing how to identify which ones).

Also, dealers who have 50% off on general mid grade and below tend to get my business on the high grade stuff, which is usually not discounted much beyond say 10-30%. But I figure at a con, you also have to take into consideration tax savings which is another big ~10% right there.

I haven't been to many cons in the last two years, but for the most part I didn't see the 5X pricing on dealer tables, too many loony comic addicts from cgc message board must have inspired them. :ohnoez:

Regarding the mile highs, any rational person laughs, yet somehow, the business model seems to have worked for years. Just think; really smart investors bought into worthless derivative products (CDOs), because they realize the world doesn't think rationally about value, unfortunately these types of ludicrous evaluations generally come crashing back down to reality every now and then. As long as you profited and tossed the potato before said event, you are doing ok, I suppose.

One nice thing about having much of your collection built over time, is that it obviates the obsessive must have now mentality that allows the chucks of the world to thrive.

I saw this trick for the first time when I was 14 years old, and attended my first comic convention in the early 1970s. Even at that tender age, I recognized it as a scam within moments. I walked away in disgust.

I would turn my back on anyone who attempts this scam. They don't deserve the business.

I would rather seek out honest dealers that you can trust.

-Lee

Just a comment here. If it is priced fairly, why is a discount needed?

If I am looking for a book thats on my hit list, and its strictly graded and I'm happy with it, I"m not walking away to try and save 10%. Sometimes you spend more time and money looking instead of just biting the bullet and moving on to the next book. Just me though.

DRX

Because then it's a "deal". You give out a discount on all your books -- are all your books priced fairly or all over priced to build in a discount?

Metro doesn't offer a discount really, is their inventory mostly priced fairly or over priced?

The existence or absence of a discount isn't necessarily what makes it a fair price. Lots of time a discount is an incentive for picking up a number of books etc. A discount is an incentive for more business.

If you're asking me for a choice, I'd shop with a dealer who basically prices everything in step with market prices but understands guide is irrelevant for many books and prices that way too. Store owners (who actually know how to grade and price) seem far more receptive to this idea than most show dealers. That being said, there are plenty of show dealers who know how to price and grade as well, and the prices are more than fair.

I think most dealers price their books as though they know they will not make a sale without prior haggling.

Pricing their books at 2x guide gives them plenty of leeway to negotiate with people who refuse to pay sticker, which is most of us

Because then it's a "deal". You give out a discount on all your books -- are all your books priced fairly or all over priced to build in a discount?

Metro doesn't offer a discount really, is their inventory mostly priced fairly or over priced?

The existence or absence of a discount isn't necessarily what makes it a fair price. Lots of time a discount is an incentive for picking up a number of books etc. A discount is an incentive for more business.

If you're asking me for a choice, I'd shop with a dealer who basically prices everything in step with market prices but understands guide is irrelevant for many books and prices that way too. Store owners (who actually know how to grade and price) seem far more receptive to this idea than most show dealers. That being said, there are plenty of show dealers who know how to price and grade as well, and the prices are more than fair.

As you know, I do give a discount on almost everything. I still try to price my books fairly. Not necessarily what books go for on GPA, but a combination of GPA, guide, and most importantly, experience. I know what I can get out of certain books. Sometimes that is lower than "market", sometime that is higher than the most recent GPA sales.

I do know one of the more successful dealers in the country who has told me he builds in about a 20% bump on his prices(even on CGC graded books), and he sells a bunch of books.

If dealers do not have 50% box, then I assume they don't even want to compete and just ignore them (thread on this a while back).

---------

some of the best deals i've gotten are from the guys who don't bother pricing anything. no need for 50% off then. but you have to buy a lot of stuff, otherwise they'll want to look them up and then it is too much effort.