• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does your existing collection keep you from collecting other genres?

18 posts in this topic

Well its been almost 1.5 years since my last comic book purchase, and I'm really starting to miss the feeling of holding a new acquisition in hand. :(

Since I recently bought a house, new furniture and did some remodeling, budget has been tight. As others have mentioned in various threads, it's usually a good idea to sell some of your existing collection to fund new purchases. However, since it took me almost 6 years to acquire my GGA collection, I'd rather just keep it intact and not sell unless I want to upgrade a few books. Athough, sometimes it does become tempting when I see those great Action, Detective and Timely covers being posted by other boards! :)

Anyway, how do others feel about their existing collections, and is it healthier to sell a bulk of your books every now and then (while keeping the grails of course) to finance new prurchases? At the very least this would keep things interesting.

I sold my Nedors to buy Supes 2-20, and I'm very satisfied with the run I've put together.

Did you keep a couple of your grail, hard to find type Nedors just incase you go back to collecting them again in the future?

Keeping my 3 favorites made it much easier to let the others go. I kept the Larson Thrilling #11, The Charles Strong copy of Fighting Yank #5, and a high grade Fighting Yank #7.

Keeping my 3 favorites made it much easier to let the others go. I kept the Larson Thrilling #11, The Charles Strong copy of Fighting Yank #5, and a high grade Fighting Yank #7.

Cool. (thumbs u

I sold my Nedors to buy Supes 2-20, and I'm very satisfied with the run I've put together.
You sold me your strange adventures deadman run to pay for shipping on those books. :insane:

lol

Anyway, how do others feel about their existing collections, and is it healthier to sell a bulk of your books every now and then (while keeping the grails of course) to finance new prurchases? At the very least this would keep things interesting.

I've been thinking much the same way. I've been selling off GA books since January... :(

...with the intention of financing a Batman-cover pre-Robin Tec. :)

I know my timing couldn't be much worse, since interest and prices for them are at an all-time high... but I also know I'll love it to death when I finally get one.

I keep my collecting interesting by having more than one focus; I will focus on GA for a while, then pre-1964 Marvels, and then focus on Pulps. I don't exactly know when or why I will change focus, but my instincts have been pretty good to me at timing the market.

I keep my collecting interesting by having more than one focus; I will focus on GA for a while, then pre-1964 Marvels, and then focus on Pulps. I don't exactly know when or why I will change focus, but my instincts have been pretty good to me at timing the market.

I'm doing something similar to Fuelman. If I only focused on GA, I might only be buying four or five books per year.

Geez, I already feel like I collect most everything but DC. The only thing holding me back are the prices of some of the things I still want and having enough room to put them. I'm in the process of bagging all my CGC books with Hotflips bags and pulling out undercopies that I ought to get rid of.

Well its been almost 1.5 years since my last comic book purchase, and I'm really starting to miss the feeling of holding a new acquisition in hand. :( Since I recently bought a house, new furniture and did some remodeling, budget has been tight.

Just get a 2nd job at night, and be sure not to have any children!