• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,494 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, OtherEric said:

The goof character predates MAD by decades, although I agree it's probably a specific not to Alfred here.

Wait, help me out here.  The book we're looking at does not predate MAD at all, as far as I know.

You're saying this "goof character" has a history?  If so can you share one of his earlier appearances that "predates MAD by decades"?  Because Superman himself only predates MAD by 14 years (and Alfred E. Neuman by 16).

On 5/8/2022 at 4:50 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wait, help me out here.  The book we're looking at does not predate MAD at all, as far as I know.

You're saying this "goof character" has a history?  If so can you share one of his earlier appearances that "predates MAD by decades"?  Because Superman himself only predates MAD by 14 years (and Alfred E. Neuman by 16).

The earlier appearances were not in comics.  The image appeared in advertising back to the turn of the century for various things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

Check the “genesis “ section of the article for some details.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:01 PM, OtherEric said:

The earlier appearances were not in comics.  The image appeared in advertising back to the turn of the century for various things.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

Check the “genesis “ section of the article for some details.

OK, thanks -- I just learned something, but it wasn't what I originally thought you were trying to say.  lol

I thought you were saying that the lazy and uninspired "goofy Superman" character on that comic book somehow predated MAD.  I had no idea about the pre-MAD images described in the Wikipedia article -- that is truly fascinating stuff and I wonder how many people, even fans of MAD, are aware.

On 5/5/2022 at 7:29 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That "goofy Superman" HAS to be an Alfred E. Neuman swipe, right?? 

If one of the front teeth were missing in the superman image, it might have been infringement.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, mosconi said:

Just picked up another CGC Spidey to go into the collection! :banana:   Shout out to DST Dave for a great heads-up on the book!  Only a few issues away to complete my ASM white page CGC run from 1-30 :wishluck:

################# asm #27150.jpg

################# asm #27 fc151.jpg

^^

Are there other goals? Like with a customer label? In 8.0?

Was just curious, but that is some love :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/10/2022 at 7:10 PM, mosconi said:

Thanks!  Would love to complete the run up to #50 but that is going to be a very long endeavor.  Hoping to eventually complete it though, as I do already have a #50 (thumbsu

asm 50 front.jpg

asm 50 fc150.jpg

:whee:

On 5/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, mosconi said:

Thanks!  Would love to complete the run up to #50 but that is going to be a very long endeavor.  Hoping to eventually complete it though, as I do already have a #50 (thumbsu

asm 50 front.jpg

asm 50 fc150.jpg

Have you read the grader's notes for that? I'd think about regrading it unless the notes mention a significant little defect. That looks nicer than a 9.0 book.

On 5/11/2022 at 6:54 PM, Peter Loves Gwen said:

Have you read the grader's notes for that? I'd think about regrading it unless the notes mention a significant little defect. That looks nicer than a 9.0 book.

Thanks!  I've never read the grader's notes but I have noticed non-color breaking bends on the back cover which assuredly brought down the grade.  I'm not into pressing books, so it'll likely stay a 9.0 for as long as I own it :cloud9: