• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,523 posts in this topic

What are those clear backing boards made of, and are they as rigid as other boards? Regards,

I'm having trouble finding examples. They seem to have disappeared from the market. They didn't actually catch on very well.

(shrug)

These may be what you're talking about. I bought a box back in the 90's when they first came out. Never seen them since. From Snap Happy Products 5015 Underwood Avenue Omaha NE 68132. 10 Mil thick mylar sandwich board.

DSCN1627.jpg

Thanks!

I was VERY happy with the #9's! Those werent even pressed! I would bet that at least 1 of the 9.8's could be pressed into a 9.9 IIRC. When i actually get them back in hand, i'll take a closer look.

The Captain Marvels i was VERY happy with also except this one i forgot to post. I said in another thread that i had 2 #2's that looked exactly the same to me. One got a 9.6, the other a 8.5 (shrug)

I havent called and got the notes yet but without question, this is the nicest looking 8.5 in the history of comic books! It must have some internal defect that i didnt see or suffered some damage in shipping that cant be seen in the scan???

cm285.jpg

I wonder if the bottom staple is detached at the FC only, looks a little suspect.

BTW, a great submission, congrats.

^^

Just got the book back in hand and called for the graders notes. Staple isnt detached but the graders notes said "1/3 inch tear coming from bottom staple". The staple isnt detached but in hand you can see that it is pushed in a little and there is a tiny bit of a tear.

It definitely wasnt like that when i sent it so it must have been from my packing doh!

This was the 1st big submission i did and i didnt have enough cardboard so like a complete m o r o n instead of waiting and getting more, i stacked 5 books together instead of the 3 i was planning :frustrated:

Last time i do that! Oh well, live and learn! Someone is going to score the nicest freaking 8.5 in history because of my rookie mistake (thumbs u

I guess the bright side is at least it was "only" a Captain Marvel 2 and not a much more valuable book. Still kind of sucks to have a 8.5 instead of the 9.6 it probably would have gotten without my mistake.

amazing what a little nick/ding/tear can do to the value

handling is such a precarious issue for those slabs that we don't read.

that's generally why I like the 7.0-8.5 range as they have enough defects that if the slab does a little damage, it doesn't effect the grade significantly.

I can't imagine having hundreds of 9.6-10.0 copies and having to move them or ship them.

Yeah, that 1 little mistake took it from a $155 book to a $16 book according to GPA. In hand, unless you look REAL close, you wouldnt see a thing. It's as nice a SA book as you will ever see. That TINY little tear though drills it down from a 9.6 and very possibly a 9.8 to a 8.5 :(

Oh well, my mistake will be someone elses gain since like i said, they'll be getting one of the nicest looking 8.5's you could ever imagine!

LCS buy....

ff18.jpg

That is a pretty, pretty, book! :cloud9:

Thank you! I probably overpaid a little for it but the cover colors were just so freaking incredible, I couldn't pass it up. It's got that little crease with a tiny chip missing at the top and a little bit of a dinged bottom spine or it would definitely be 9.4-9.6 territory. I'm just praying I can squeeze at least an 8.5 out of it when I get it slabbed! :wishluck:

Btw,

That is a SWEET X-men 13 you got there cyclegirl!!! (worship)