• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,456 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2010 at 9:14 PM, Silver said:

The General forum has a new in your collection this week thread that is active, but gets little activity and even less comments on silver age books when they are posted. The 10 cent thread runs in fits and has a limited scope. Other threads in this forum come and go. The golden age thread has a ongoing "Have a Cigar" thread, how about we do a what's new in your collection thread focusing on silver age stuff? Would love to see more regular action in this forum.

I just broke open a storage unit that I've had for 25 years. Completely forgot all the issues that I had in storage I have quite a few issues of fantastic four from number 49 through #150 i've got issues of tales of suspense between 48 and 98 I got Daredevil from issue three to age issue age nanny 89 I've got a few high issues of Thor I also have some X men from issues 51 through 140 and then I have some tales to astonish from issues 52 through 121 few amazing Spiderman from issue 61 to 82 some Avengers from issue seven through issue 117. These runs are not complete. But a lot of the issues in those runs are there like I said it's been twenty-five years since I've been involved with this and I'm out of touch obviously I have a very simple question I posted it earlier i've joined some Facebook groups to try to learn and try to catch up on the grading game and so forth seeing a lot of negative information about turnaround times for grading of taking up to a year and so forth to get comics back I want to know has that been the experience of the people in this group or are the turnaround times as advertised under the CGC website i'm asking because it's a lot of money obviously but I have some pretty good comics and if they are in good enough condition I'd like to get them grayed but I don't want to wait a whole year to get them back any responses are appreciated thanks so much

On 4/14/2024 at 1:26 PM, MOOSE82 said:

I just broke open a storage unit that I've had for 25 years. Completely forgot all the issues that I had in storage I have quite a few issues of fantastic four from number 49 through #150 i've got issues of tales of suspense between 48 and 98 I got Daredevil from issue three to age issue age nanny 89 I've got a few high issues of Thor I also have some X men from issues 51 through 140 and then I have some tales to astonish from issues 52 through 121 few amazing Spiderman from issue 61 to 82 some Avengers from issue seven through issue 117. These runs are not complete. But a lot of the issues in those runs are there like I said it's been twenty-five years since I've been involved with this and I'm out of touch obviously I have a very simple question I posted it earlier i've joined some Facebook groups to try to learn and try to catch up on the grading game and so forth seeing a lot of negative information about turnaround times for grading of taking up to a year and so forth to get comics back I want to know has that been the experience of the people in this group or are the turnaround times as advertised under the CGC website i'm asking because it's a lot of money obviously but I have some pretty good comics and if they are in good enough condition I'd like to get them grayed but I don't want to wait a whole year to get them back any responses are appreciated thanks so much

Here's my "advice" for what it's worth.  The first question to ask yourself is why you want to have books slabbed.  Is it to sell them?  Is it to preserve them?  Is it for display purposes?

The second question is one you've already touched on - where do you think these books would grade?  I would look at the big keys you have - FF #49 & #50, ASM #121 and #129 and so on - first.  Those will be the ones most worthy of slabbing.  I think what you'll find is that at least some of these books may not provide a really huge price bump if you're intending to sell them.

The third question is: how much money do you have to spend on this project?  Slabbing isn't cheap and you may want to focus on the key books for that reason as well.

The fourth question - and you've already touched on this as well - is how patient a person are you?  You won't have any real problem with the books being out of your hands if you already haven't seen them for a quarter of a century without really noticing.  But it's different when you've sent them off and paid for the privilege of having them in someone else's hands.  Yes - it will take months, at least, for your books to be returned to you.  There's some indication turnaround times have improved a bit, but that might depend on the tier they're sent in under.  If it will freak you out if it does take a year, it might not be worth it.

Good luck!  Be sure to let us know what decisions you make.

Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom #6 (GOLD KEY)

Pretty clean copy.  Gonna send this one off to CGC.  It has a little defect on the back cover bottom corner by the spine but I think it'll get a 9.2 still...hopefully 9.4 but we'll see.

image.png.e48c5f73ccb00d68b1f9f78822829a2b.png

image.png.b623bc57946263fc035736a47eaa74b4.png

Edited by EMazman
Added title.