• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,454 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honest question, no intention to offend ... but what's the point of certifying a "cover only" book if CGC isn't going to assess the condition of the cover?  I suppose there's some value in knowing the cover is genuine, particularly on a key book like this one, but do you feel getting it slabbed enhances its value enough to justify the cost?

I never sent it in. Got it from a trade as is.

Just now, oglelo said:

I never sent it in. Got it from a trade as is.

I'm not a Golden Age collector, but I know that it's common for people to collect incomplete Golden Age keys and even to attempt to marry them together to create complete copies.  I don't see it nearly as often for Silver Age books, ,,, but again for a key like this one I can obviously still see the appeal.  Are you hoping to find a coverless copy and marry this cover to it?

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not a Golden Age collector, but I know that it's common for people to collect incomplete Golden Age keys and even to attempt to marry them together to create complete copies.  I don't see it nearly as often for Silver Age books, ,,, but again for a key like this one I can obviously still see the appeal.  Are you hoping to find a coverless copy and marry this cover to it?

Possibly, but a few people are wanting to purchase it. Sounds tempting...otherwise, no interest in the marrying of them.  Would rather just keep it for the artwork.

Here’s another comic I remember purchasing off a spinner rack at a Rexall Drug store as a boy.  It’s in a little better condition than most of my childhood books because I remember not liking it and only read it once.  But, apparently this is now a key book because of the movies. By this point I understood about reprints and collected Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Fantasy Masterpieces, and later Marvel Super Heroes.

EC90887C-FCAD-4A9F-8189-67BA4ABA2244.jpeg

2 hours ago, David Stager said:

Here’s another comic I remember purchasing off a spinner rack at a Rexall Drug store as a boy.  It’s in a little better condition than most of my childhood books because I remember not liking it and only read it once.  But, apparently this is now a key book because of the movies. By this point I understood about reprints and collected Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Fantasy Masterpieces, and later Marvel Super Heroes.

EC90887C-FCAD-4A9F-8189-67BA4ABA2244.jpeg

I concur that this is a key book - but considering the popularity of GOTG movies, I don't see it skyrocketing in price like, say, Wolverine or the new X-Men has. I'm not sure why the demand isn't the same.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, oglelo said:

Possibly, but a few people are wanting to purchase it. Sounds tempting...otherwise, no interest in the marrying of them.  Would rather just keep it for the artwork.

It is a great piece of comic art to be sure!

On 3/13/2019 at 5:23 PM, evilskip said:

28 years ago I had to sell most of my JLA collection due to trying to keep a roof over our heads as bills came piling up from what was to be a life long illness. So it was nice to be able to pick this one up in a trade for less than half of Overstreet.

jla02.jpg

I have a similar story. Had to sell everything due to college poverty many years ago. Congratulations on the pick up!