• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Bob --

if you have emails from CGC that help to verify your version of the events, please post them. Otherwise, this is just rambling nonsense, and isn't really helping your credibility. If you want the boards support to get riled up against CGC so that presumably action can be taken, you need to have some evidence.

I trust Borock's version of the events, but obviously, we should be willing to view contradictory evidence.

Mister Foolkiller

That is a reasonable request. One that I can tackle when I get back from LA Friday, like I wrote a couple posts back, have to see surgeon at Saint Vincent's Med Center on Wednesday there, leaving open Thursday in case further tests need to be done, then fly back Friday morning

There were no phone calls from Steve B re All Star 7 8 or 22 prior to the books being delivered to be at San Diego. Just the #7 was talked about by Steve to me re the damage with the tape prior to me looking at it

Zero discussion on #22 until last Sept/Oct 2009 when some one at CGC informed Jean Bails they still had #22, that it originally had been forgotten to bring it out to San Diego

And ZERO informing of the #8 until I saw the Purple Label on it

ALL Steve said about it when I queried him then at San Diego 2007 re #8 having a purple label was it had a small touch of color touch, a small dab of glue, at the bottom of the bottom staple. No mention of the tear pull which happened at CGC.

CGC never made a phone call to me, nor did they ever place anything in writing stating #7 and #22 were being used on the slab fees

If i had not descended into a pain induced hell for a couple years until I got my surgeries, this would have been dealt with back then. It took me regaining my brain and repair & healing my hip joints Oct 20 2009 before I was able to deal with much of anything.

on this, reasonable minds can differ.

Nothing was said about the pre-existing substrate, just regaining status quo...

P.S. I sent in a book last year that was absolutely gorgeous, and came back to me as qualified. I know I didnt miss anything, but sh*t happens. Its amazing how people can slab books and make a hefty profit, then moan and groan when something accidental happens. I dont know if CGC really did this or not, but I think you to be a bit harsh. Personally you remind me of Vincent at Metropolis, take that as you like.

I like Vinnie, thanks for the compliment. I remember when he was junior partner with Mike C back in the day -:L)

This is NOT about the book being "qualified"

Rather, it is solely about the #8 being yanked too hard when it was opened from the front

No complaints on that note re having "a dab of glue, a touch of color" as Steve put it to me when I first looked upon the purple label

However, if it had never been yanked so hard by some CGC person, there was an excellent chance it could have been brought up by having the glue and perhaps even the color touch removed, by initial person to see it unslabbed Matt Nelson, or any number of other museum qualified conservators I know around the country

I came here harsh only after six months of trying to deal with this "behind the scenes", off the radar. They stone walled, I finally had enough, here we are. I am angry over this the way CGC has (not) handled this affair

I defy them to produce documents which would stand up in court as is NOW being touted they used the #7 and #22 to offset the slab costs

I said BS (spell out that word for the word used) to the slab costs at San Diego 2007 until they make proper restitution for the damage they did to the #8 - as in BUY THE BOOK from Jean Bails, which is the proper thing to do

Thats exactly what had happened to my book. The book was tight,flat,and gorgeous. Someone handled it a bit rough. :censored: happens. (shrug)

And personally I dislike Vinnie. He has made comments here on the boards that really turned me off. Because of that I will not look at his books, or spend a dime with him. Ever.

Bob, I've noticed you've had the same books for sale for several years. I see them on Ebay everytime I look.

Is it just possible with the market changes, that you are slightly overestimating the worth of the remaining All Stars?

Perhaps if you came to a more realistic price point, you could just sell them and give Mrs. Bails the money :shrug:

This thread is not winning you customers...seriously.

Bob, I've noticed you've had the same books for sale for several years. I see them on Ebay everytime I look.

Is it just possible with the market changes, that you are slightly overestimating the worth of the remaining All Stars.

Perhaps if you came to a more realistic price point, you could just sell them and give Mrs. Bails the money :shrug:

bob, you've seen what new hips can do; imagine how far you could strut with new prices!!!!!!!

perbe you should listen to this wise LADY.

Is it just possible with the market changes, that you are slightly overestimating the worth of the remaining All Stars.

bob, you've seen what new hips can do; imagine how far you could strut with new prices!!!!!!!

perbe you should listen to this wise LADY.

Bob has a right to complain about the treatment of his books. If anyone has seen similar damages, they should come forward and complain and add more weight to his argument. He did all of the right things and they didn't work out in his favor. I would feel bad if I raised someone's expectations but couldn't meet my sales goals because of poor handling by the graders. Good luck and I hope you can do better on those insurance claims.

By the way, I remember tearing one of Jerry's All Stars when I visited him back in 1965. Can't remember which one. I bought several of Jerry's stock back when Ray was selling them but I don't think they were part of Jerry's collection due to the low grade. Got them for a pretty good price tho. These two belonged to Jerry at one time but no certificate and no legacy which makes Bob's books more valuable.

3150999906_229f216989.jpg2334391720_2b9c95e8a9.jpg

bb

By the way, I remember tearing one of Jerry's All Stars when I visited him back in 1965. Can't remember which one. I bought several of Jerry's stock back when Ray was selling them but I don't think they were part of Jerry's collection due to the low grade. Got them for a pretty good price tho. These two belonged to Jerry at one time but no certificate and no legacy which makes Bob's books more valuable.

3150999906_229f216989.jpg2334391720_2b9c95e8a9.jpg

bb

I bought jerry's 50-57 from bob in 2007? sdcc... I wanted the entire collection, but was too much $'s for me at the time...

I have never seen a "credit" on any of this that Steve presents as supposed "fact"

Just curious Bob have you ever submitted a book to CGC for slabbing ever since? Maybe there is a standing credit sitting there for you?

I had never had any thing slabbed prior, nor since. I am into this hobby for the "art", not the "investment." The comics market will sink "under water" like the housing bubble. Tis a force of nature being accelerated of late. I like tulips as well -:)

This thing they did to All Star #7 and #8 just boils my blood. It is no longer about the money.

And I have YET to be informed of the supposed damage to #22, said reputed damage being new on this passion play set.

Simple question and answer Bob. One that's been asked but not answered yet that I can see.

Did you pay CGC any fees for slabbing the All Star run? If so, how much?

Bump. Disappointingly, the original photo where the glue, tacking iron, etc., is seen is no longer in the OP. Anybody have a copy?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

(it's on page one. or page one for me; i have my settings to show 50 posts/page)

Bump. Disappointingly, the original photo where the glue, tacking iron, etc., is seen is no longer in the OP. Anybody have a copy?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

(it's on page one. or page one for me; i have my settings to show 50 posts/page)

One of the all-time classic 'Oh Snap' moments that this Board has ever offered! :applause::roflmao:

You mean this?

98161.jpg

One of the all-time classic 'Oh Snap' moments that this Board has ever offered! :applause::roflmao:

Steve! How dare you impugn the integrity of someone who has been around so long and is so unwell? Have you no empathy? Have you no compassion?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

Steve! How dare you impugn the integrity of someone who has been around so long and is so unwell? Have you no empathy? Have you no compassion?

are there no prisons? are there no work-houses?

You mean this?

98161.jpg

are there no prisons? are there no work-houses?

The clerk, in letting Scrooge's nephew out, had let two other people in. They were portly gentlemen, pleasant to behold, and now stood, with their hats off, in Scrooge's office. They had books and papers in their hands, and bowed to him.

'Scrooge and Marley's, I believe,' said one of the gentlemen, referring to his list. 'Have I the pleasure of addressing Mr Scrooge, or Mr Marley?'

'Mr Marley has been dead these seven years,' Scrooge replied. 'He died seven years ago, this very night.'

'We have no doubt his liberality is well represented by his surviving partner,' said the gentleman, presenting his credentials.

'It certainly was, for they had been two kindred spirits. At the ominous word liberality, Scrooge frowned, and shook his head, and handed the credentials back.

'They are. Still,' returned the gentleman,' I wish I could say they were not.'

'The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge.

'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?"

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."