• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

I don't know what I'd rather recieve. A box full of trash or no box at all.

Matthew,

There has been talk for along time about pulp/comic collecting being a dying hobby. In one of Bob's posts he said you wanted to build a collection of every pulp ever printed. How has your experience with Bob effect your desire in your pulp collection goal? Do you still desire to build a collection of every pulp or have you been turned off your goal of collecting every pulp? (or something in between?)

I find the way Bob is treating you more than bizarre. I would have thought any dealer dealing in pulps would love to have a client who wanted to own ever pulp ever printed and would treat them with a high level of respect and professionalism as they would be a long term client.

Very little of that rambling was true Darren. I have no interest in owning one of every pulp ever. That whole self proclaimed "king of pulps" he was harping on is because my last name is King. And I was buying pulps from him. The guys upset I won't be a good little victim and quiet down about it.

I agree pulp and comic collecting is dying. Frankly as far as pulps go, new ones haven't come out since what maybe 1958 with any regular basis? 55 years? It might take another 100 years but it'll just become part of book collecting eventually without any new blood getting into it.

As far as comics go, I'm sure they are good for all of our lifetimes. But eventually they will become 100% digital. Hell, a few hundred years from now, they'll be all 3D and interactive. Anyone that doesn't see the trend with digital everything moderately destroying the paper industry bit by bit just isn't paying attention. I'm sure 3D printing will even get advanced enough one day to make a perfect counterfeit. Don't see too many books on Star trek or wars?

And it makes me want to just stop dealing with them. Something like this happens and I just feel like I want to sell all the rest of my stuff and not deal with pulps or comics or whatever anymore. What's the point in collecting if your stuff is gonna get nabbed by the Hamburglar?

143453.jpg.a4de58f7a1d1b77ccdb9619f4158bc47.jpg

Please note that I have no horse in this race as I haven't been actively collecting for about 20 years. I have been observing this whole situation(probably from the same impulse that causes drivers to slow down while passing an accident) and was disturbed to hear that Jean Bails is still waiting for money from Jerry's estate. Could one of the more business aware members create a means for concerned persons to contribute some money to her? It would be little enough for what the Bails family has done for collecting. I am dating myself, but I remember a time when golden age collecting was all but unknown. It was Jerry Bails who helped it become what it is today. I might add that it is my opinion that Jerry and Jean Bails did more for this hobby(and to me it is still a hobby and was never a business) than any other single person on these boards. Contributing money to Jean would be little enough tribute to a man who enabled many on these boards to take something they loved and do it as a business. I think both sides of the current issue could support this.

I might add it would be appropriate for the season if we think of those in need.

That's my 2 cents.

I'm sure you can just contact her through Facebook if you wanted to send her a donation.

(thumbs u

I imagine there was a cease and desist letter delivered today.

In 2 weeks Bob can come here and pontificate about the evils of facebook censorship :preach:

Which will be right around the Christmas holiday. Oh joy.

Expect some serious tugging on our collective heartstrings (why in order to generate an ebay sale, of course!).

I imagine there was a cease and desist letter delivered today.

In 2 weeks Bob can come here and pontificate about the evils of facebook censorship :preach:

Which will be right around the Christmas holiday. Oh joy.

Expect some serious tugging on our collective heartstrings (why in order to generate an ebay sale, of course!).

Let me run and get my piggy-bank ready for the occasion.

Very little of that rambling was true Darren. I have no interest in owning one of every pulp ever. That whole self proclaimed "king of pulps" he was harping on is because my last name is King. And I was buying pulps from him. The guys upset I won't be a good little victim and quiet down about it.

I agree pulp and comic collecting is dying. Frankly as far as pulps go, new ones haven't come out since what maybe 1958 with any regular basis? 55 years? It might take another 100 years but it'll just become part of book collecting eventually without any new blood getting into it.

As far as comics go, I'm sure they are good for all of our lifetimes. But eventually they will become 100% digital. Hell, a few hundred years from now, they'll be all 3D and interactive. Anyone that doesn't see the trend with digital everything moderately destroying the paper industry bit by bit just isn't paying attention. I'm sure 3D printing will even get advanced enough one day to make a perfect counterfeit. Don't see too many books on Star trek or wars?

And it makes me want to just stop dealing with them. Something like this happens and I just feel like I want to sell all the rest of my stuff and not deal with pulps or comics or whatever anymore. What's the point in collecting if your stuff is gonna get nabbed by the Hamburglar?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm one or two generations younger than the majority of the people on the gold section. So the pulp/comic collecting hobby might die before I am gone. As to pulps, I never saw one in person myself. I always thought they were like Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. How far off base is that comparison?

Do you think as dealers age and the hobby starts to die, more dealers will go the way of Beerbohm and further accelerate the death of the hobby?

Thanks for the clarification. I'm one or two generations younger than the majority of the people on the gold section. So the pulp/comic collecting hobby might die before I am gone. As to pulps, I never saw one in person myself. I always thought they were like Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. How far off base is that comparison?

Do you think as dealers age and the hobby starts to die, more dealers will go the way of Beerbohm and further accelerate the death of the hobby?

Clearly we are all dying to know. (Dont mind me, I'm just feeling my age, and you're not helping! lol)

Clearly we are all dying to know. (Dont mind me, I'm just feeling my age, and you're not helping! lol)

Does sniffing pulp cause insanity hm

An interesting theory hmhm