• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant. If you act like a donkey you deserve to get booted.

I agree with this, and the reaction to the boards not being an entirely altruistic venture on the part of CGC is a mighty "durrrrr......." -- try and name me more than a mere handful of ventures worldwide that don't boil down to a pursuit of profit, at some level. There must be some, but not a whole heck of a bunch.

I have only read a few pages of this thread and am, unfortunately, not surprised.

Once upon a time I was a semi-regular customer of BLBComics, I made approximately seven or eight purchases, and, if I recall correctly; I would have to review very old e-mails; in virtually every purchase I either did not receive all the comic books I paid for, received some incorrect books, or received books that were significantly over-graded. For example, concerning the latter, I received comic books that, at some point in time, someone had used a pen to color parts of the cover; it was not restoration, it was just that someone had decided to color in, for example, a section of Batman's arm. Despite inquiring about the accuracy, etc., of the assigned grade: restoration, missing coupons and pages, etc., etc., prior to purchase, "colored-in covers," etc., etc., etc., were not disclosed to me.

Thankfully, after close to two years of pointed e-mails and telephone calls I received a full refund. I have not purchased from BLBComics since at least 2006 or 2007 and I, emphatically, never will again.

No surprises here - I think it's important for people to realize that BLB's pattern of poor conduct extends far beyond recent alleged events.

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant.

I agree with this, and the reaction to the boards not being an entirely altruistic venture on the part of CGC is a mighty "durrrrr......." -- try and name me more than a mere handful of ventures worldwide that don't boil down to a pursuit of profit, at some level. There must be some, but not a whole heck of a bunch.

Keep in mind though that our response was to the point that this "site ... is operated largely as a courtesy." Not so, this site is operated as a business and we the posters are the ones who are the key to making it a successful business enterprise.

So yes, this site is a business, but like any business it needs customers. In this case those customers are we the posters. So CGC isn't doing us a favour by providing this site. We the posters are instead favouring this site with our presence.

:makepoint:

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant.

Keep in mind though that our response was to the point that this "site ... is operated largely as a courtesy." Not so, this site is operated as a business and we the posters are the ones who are the key to making it a successful business enterprise.

So yes, this site is a business, but like any business it needs customers. In this case those customers are we the posters. So CGC isn't doing us a favour by providing this site. We the posters are instead favouring this site with our presence.

Seriously? You think there is profit in operating these boards? These boards came about as a result of the CGC Collector's Society and someone saying, "Gosh, wouldn't it be neat if we could host a space where members could share experiences?" I doubt if the amount of money earned on click-through ads equals the cost of bandwidth, server-space, and admin salaries.

Despite our collective egos, if these boards disappeared tomorrow the affect it would have on demand for CGC product would be 0. As such, yes, these boards are an alturistic excercise that contribute nothing to the bottom line.

So what. Whether there are business benefits to them from the forums is irrelevant. If you act like a donkey you deserve to get booted.

If you act like a donkey here you deserve to get booted.

If you are a business and you can reasonably conclude that someone will act like a donkey you may choose a preemptive strike.

If you are a business and you can reasonably conclude that someone will act like a donkey you may choose a preemptive strike.

I also doubt that, were I to complain loudly and vociferously about what a horrible, lousy place "X" is and made quite sure that many important denziens of place "X" were included and subjected to said rants, that I would then be welcomed with open arms the next time I chose to drop by place "X".

Durrrrrrr......

Seriously? You think there is profit in operating these boards? These boards came about as a result of the CGC Collector's Society and someone saying, "Gosh, wouldn't it be neat if we could host a space where members could share experiences?" I doubt if the amount of money earned on click-through ads equals the cost of bandwidth, server-space, and admin salaries.

Despite our collective egos, if these boards disappeared tomorrow the affect it would have on demand for CGC product would be 0. As such, yes, these boards are an alturistic excercise that contribute nothing to the bottom line.

If you think that the discussions here have not generated significant excitement/interest/spending in slabbed comic books, you're crazy. I'll venture a guess that this site has generated millions of dollars for CGC since its inception.

If you think that the discussions here have not generated significant excitement/interest/spending in slabbed comic books, you're crazy. I'll venture a guess that this site has generated millions of dollars for CGC since its inception.

I'd go along with that. Heck, I'm probably the least likely forum member to be slabbing books. And since joining the forums, even I've slabbed books!

I have a comic store. A guy comes into the store, he is perfectly respectful and courteous, but I know he has gone into other comic stores and created havoc by trying to perpetrate a fraud. I'm kicking his azz out. No different than what the proprietor of this site is doing. And in BLB's case, his ridiculousness on other sites was directly affecting the folks that run this site, the site itself, and the people that post on here.

I understand that you may have a problem with the idea that your actions on one internet site should affect your ability to post on another, and I respect your opinion (as wrong as it is). But the reality is that if you act like a knucklehead anywhere on the internet your actions are amplified and multiplied to such a great degree that they can and will affect everything you do and every persona you create.

I have a comic store. A guy comes into the store, he is perfectly respectful and courteous, but I know he has gone into other comic stores and created havoc by trying to perpetrate a fraud. I'm kicking his azz out. No different than what the proprietor of this site is doing. And in BLB's case, his ridiculousness on other sites was directly affecting the folks that run this site, the site itself, and the people that post on here.

I understand that you may have a problem with the idea that your actions on one internet site should affect your ability to post on another, and I respect your opinion (as wrong as it is). But the reality is that if you act like a knucklehead anywhere on the internet your actions are amplified and multiplied to such a great degree that they can and will affect everything you do and every persona you create.

And perhaps the perpetrator knowing this, but masking his intent behind a grandfatherly persona, deliberately works to ensure that Google will pick up on his message, through multiple repetition.

I'll :applause: to that. Well stated.

Lord, this thread has been going on for quite some time....

Fascinating as it is, I fail to see (based on what I read when skimming through) where BLB proved without a shadow of a doubt the damage he states occurred happened once the book left his hands rather than after he received the book back. Circumstantial though the earlier photo of restoration tools might be in the photos, in a court of law, even circumstantial evidence can be admitted for/against someone.

Also, in regards to storage/display habits, it does give one pause to see someone with so many supposedly "valuable" comics sitting around haphazardly when ANYONE does it. Granted, it won't affect the grade assigned a copy either way as a grade is a grade, but when buying a loose book? It would definitely cause me to think twice before purchasing from anyone who was selling a raw book for a high value if I knew it was stored so.

Lord, this thread has been going on for quite some time....

Fascinating as it is, I fail to see (based on what I read when skimming through) where BLB proved without a shadow of a doubt the damage he states occurred happened once the book left his hands rather than after he received the book back.

The thing is, it doesn't matter. It was restored either way (color touch). Even if any damage happened to the All star 8 at cgc's premises they fully OVERcompensated him by giving him a 2k credit on his fees. They were GENEROUS with him and yet he rails on :screwy: about the damage to the widow he appears to be years behind on payments to :screwy: :screwy:

I would classify this board as an 'investment' on the part of CGC. It has a cost, both financially and as a source of frustration, however, they reap a benefit from it. As long as the benefit outweighs the cost, they will continue to host the forum. If they ever become convinced that the cost exceeds the benefit, they will ditch it.

I would classify this board as an 'investment' on the part of CGC. It has a cost, both financially and as a source of frustration, however, they reap a benefit from it. As long as the benefit outweighs the cost, they will continue to host the forum. If they ever become convinced that the cost exceeds the benefit, they will ditch it.

I think the total net is zero.

As much positivity as they've had from these boards, they've had to sustain some pretty harsh and negative winds as well.

The only benefit these boards have in the total scheme is that it allows them to keep their friends close and their enemies closer.