• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

This site is a niche site. Using Alexa to judge the financial feasibility of continuing the site is not seeing the forest for the trees.

For every one person that posts on here, there are who knows how many who read the boards both as lurkers and 'guests' and who knows how many more who are told about it via word of mouth & etc out in the Real World. The site does untold magnitudes of difference for both top of mind awareness as well as brand recognition for CGC within the funnybook collecting niche.

Any money they get from clickthroughs is probably just used to pay for hosting. Or part of their hosting.

But isn't that the point though? It's value isn't just from clickthroughs. It's a goodwill developing machine. It's an advertisement vehicle for CGC itself. No one has discussed the Ebay referral link revenue I mentioned earlier either.

It's a playground for dorks.

This site is a niche site. Using Alexa to judge the financial feasibility of continuing the site is not seeing the forest for the trees.

For every one person that posts on here, there are who knows how many who read the boards both as lurkers and 'guests' and who knows how many more who are told about it via word of mouth & etc out in the Real World. The site does untold magnitudes of difference for both top of mind awareness as well as brand recognition for CGC within the funnybook collecting niche.

Any money they get from clickthroughs is probably just used to pay for hosting. Or part of their hosting.

But isn't that the point though? It's value isn't just from clickthroughs. It's a goodwill developing machine. It's an advertisement vehicle for CGC itself. No one has discussed the Ebay referral link revenue I mentioned earlier either.

It's a playground for dorks.

Yes, although so is most of the internets.

Have you ever seen a thread on this board with more than 150 active readers?

Curious how to tell how many "active readers" a thread has. For instance, this thread has over 18,000 views. hm

if you are wondering where this site ranks and who are the top posters, look here.

there are many familiar names. stats updated weekly. this site has pretty low traffic compared with other sites with under 9000 posts per week.

who would have thought there were so many readers from south africa & singapore from this chart ?

Here is comparison.

Right now CGC has about 700 people viewing their boards.

Right now the Lego message boards have over 83,000 people viewing their boards! :o

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

Who would ever guess 10 years ago that Lego would become the hottest hobby?

Curious how to tell how many "active readers" a thread has. For instance, this thread has over 18,000 views. hm

if you are wondering where this site ranks and who are the top posters, look here.

there are many familiar names. stats updated weekly. this site has pretty low traffic compared with other sites with under 9000 posts per week.

who would have thought there were so many readers from south africa & singapore from this chart ?

More visitors from South Africa than from Canada or the UK? :o

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Here is comparison.

Right now the Lego message boards have over 83,000 people viewing their boards! :o

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

There are other sites where you can talk comics, of course. And there are probably many avid collectors who are vague on the whole process of submitting books to CGC and wouldn't necessarily be inspired to find out what gets discussed on a CGC-sponsored site.

Still, stats like those don't seem like the best of news for the long-run viability of the hobby.

But … but … someone provided a link! It's gotta be true, don't it?

Here is comparison.

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

Just about everyone with kids from 4 to 15, otherwise, no one. (shrug)

Here is comparison.

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

:gossip:

I guess you have been out of the loop these past 5 years! :)

No disrespect, but the Lego market has evolved and exploded in popularity since you probably bought them as a kid in the 70s or 80s.

Think of how when people thought comics were just for kids. Sound familiar? hm

Lego has become a huge money maker on EBay,and Amazon.com

Lego Price and Investing Guide,

Where Lego has the advantage going forward over comic books for a more relevant hobby in the future is with

comics we will find that only a majority of adults are buying them, while Lego has both adults and their kids buying them.

Another example is BRICKLINK

which dwarfs over Comiclink in overall sales and web traffic.

Just think in 25 years you will have the Rule of 25 kicking in for Lego when 30 to 40 something's gets nostalgic for their Lego they had as a kid.

lol

People ask how come new generations aren`t collecting comic books, stamps, coins and baseball cards?

They will find there has been a huge shift to Lego, video games and Magic the Gathering collecting.

That`s where they went.

2c

btw I am not trying to be snarky. I am just trying to let you know what the other collectible markets that comic books have for competition going forward.

:foryou:

Here is comparison.

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

No disrespect, but the Lego market has evolved and exploded in popularity since you probably bought them as a kid in the 70s or 80s.

Where Lego has the advantage going forward over comic books for a more relevant hobby in the future is with

comics only a majority of adults are buying them, while Lego has both adults and their kids buying them.

dwarfs Comiclink in overall sales and web traffic.

Just think in 25 years you will have the Rule of 25 kicking in for Lego when 30 to 40 something's gets nostalgic for their Lego they had as a kid.

lol

People ask how come new generations aren`t collecting comic books, stamps, coins and baseball cards?

They will find there has been a huge shift to Lego, video games and Magic the Gathering collecting.

That`s where they went.

2c

btw I am not trying to be snarky. I am just trying to let you know what the other collectible markets that comic books have for competition going forward.

No offense taken. I have a son who is 11. He has loved Lego since we got him his first set when he was 4, all his friends love Legos and still play with them religiously. I am not talking about 1 to 2 odd ball kids, but everyone. With the new set for girls, I see a ton of the younger girls into legos as well. For pure play value, no toy comes even close. As these kids start to migrate to collect stuff (20s, 30s, 40s, etc), Legos will be high on the want list so I think they will be super popular over a very long period in time.

My comment was really that if you have kids, you know and understand just how popular Legos are and how strong the legs are under them to maintain the popularity. (thumbs u

Here is comparison.

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

comics only a majority of adults are buying them, while Lego has both adults and their kids buying them.

lol

That`s where they went.

2c

No offense taken. I have a son who is 11. He has loved Lego since we got him his first set when he was 4, all his friends love Legos and still play with them religiously. I am not talking about 1 to 2 odd ball kids, but everyone. With the new set for girls, I see a ton of the younger girls into legos as well. For pure play value, no toy comes even close. As these kids start to migrate to collect stuff (20s, 30s, 40s, etc), Legos will be high on the want list so I think they will be super popular over a very long period in time.

My comment was really that if you have kids, you know and understand just how popular Legos are and how strong the legs are under them to maintain the popularity. (thumbs u

I get what you were saying now.

(thumbs u

Just think in 25 years you will have the Rule of 25 kicking in for Lego when 30 to 40 something's gets nostalgic for their Lego they had as a kid. People ask how come new generations aren`t collecting comic books, stamps, coins and baseball cards? They will find there has been a huge shift to Lego, video games and Magic the Gathering collecting. That`s where they went.

I woulda thought Pogs?

Seriously, though, I still have all my Legos from when I was a kid and Lego first started doing spaceship type stuff (lots of gray, flat pieces alongside bluish window pieces and such). I also have all of my little brother's Legos from the mid 1990s, including several advanced sets.

I have all the fold-out instructions, and was very meticulous about not losing even tiny pieces. The one thing I didn't save, unfortunately, was the boxes they were sold in.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Jerry's All Star #8 better pics.

I thought I read an article in the past year about the crash of Lego values as people were speculating on them like Beanie Babies and they were unable to sell their sets unless they took a loss on them (shrug)

Oh, and yeah I know some Beanie Babies still sell for over $1,000 so I assume its the same with Legos

Abraham-lincoln-internet-quote1_zps346e737a.png

Here is comparison.

LEGO MESSAGE BOARDS.

lol

That`s where they went.

2c

Must be something relatively new or maybe it's regional. (shrug)

My youngest son is 19. He and his brothers occasionally played with Legos but they weren't seriously into them. I don't remember any of their friends being all that interested in them either. Pokemon cards and Yugioh cards were what consumed them for a while. Then it was video games.