• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am closer to the situation than most. I have known Matt for the past two years and as I mentioned in detail in my earlier posts,was chatting with Matt as this deal was being made.

I have been biding my time just waiting to see what was going to happen. I just got off the phone with Matt and the last Matt heard was that the pulps had been shipped out to a third party in New York and that Matt was going to have to drive there and get them.....a 16 hour round trip!!!!

As I said, I have bit my tongue on this, to see if it gets resolved (still biting my tongue), but if it doesn't, I will not be politically correct and let loose a barrage.

Dwight

Who on earth does business like this? Just incredible.

+1 Matt try's to help Robert Beerbohm out and this is what he get's?

if the story is in question does this mean the pedigree is "dubious"?

The pedigree is based on the size and overall condition of the collection. The beauty of those books cannot be denied, so the pedigree status will never be in doubt. But the back story of the original owner is very much in question, and at this point is basically an unsubstantiated urban myth. But most of what Bob has presented as fact in regards to the SF collection is bogus or revisionist. For example he gives no credit whatsoever to Michael Manyak, one of the two guys who bought the very first batch of books at the Berkeley Con where the family first brought them. I think Bob has some beef with Mike. Heck, Bob doesn't think they should be called San Fransiscos, even though that's what everyone called those books back in the '70s.

MrBedrock, while I agree with you that the beauty of the condition of the collection, isn't the pedigree designation based on the idea that they be original owner books.

What if Bob just pulled together some really great books from numerous different owners and then came up with the so called Reilly family and claimed them to be a pedigree?

Nothing changes the beauty of the books but I highly doubt that they were all one original collection. Most of the books were sold prior to it being designated a pedigree and there is no list of books. So in theory anyone could pencil a G and the date on a high grade book and claim it as part of the pedigree.

Isn't it more plausible that Beerbohm's desire to be remembered led him to claim all old high grade books are part of a pedigree that HE discovered.

MrBedrock, while I agree with you that the beauty of the condition of the collection, isn't the pedigree designation based on the idea that they be original owner books.

What if Bob just pulled together some really great books from numerous different owners and then came up with the so called Reilly family and claimed them to be a pedigree?

Nothing changes the beauty of the books but I highly doubt that they were all one original collection. Most of the books were sold prior to it being designated a pedigree and there is no list of books. So in theory anyone could pencil a G and the date on a high grade book and claim it as part of the pedigree.

Isn't it more plausible that Beerbohm's desire to be remembered led him to claim all old high grade books are part of a pedigree that HE discovered.

that was my worry... in reading the oral history over at detective27 (http://www.detective27.com/pedigreearticle.htm) what strikes me is that after the first batch of books are purchased by Nick Marcus and Mike Manyak at the show in public the remaining books are purchased after the fact (when the owners were "overwhelmed" by the bidding/offers and retreated home. Then the couple calls C&C with Bob? then a second and third call? Seems odd, and now that we see Bob's penchant for creating stories to validate his reality can we be sure that those subsequent SFs were all part of the OO collection?

What if Bob saw this as a way to inject more value into his other GA books of similar quality? And then Bob saw how the market reacted to rich pedigree stories like the Okajima books, and decided to add some more flavor (and profit) to the pedigree he was selling?

I dont know anything, but when someone shows such willingness to be unscrupulous in business, it makes me question all of their acts in the past, not just the ones tied to the pulp transaction.

Just a couple of things:

1) My goal was not have a witch hunt on Bob, but to defend Matt's character on the boards (against an initial attack from another board member...which was resolved), and to help Matt to get his books or money back. Once the issue is resolved for me, it is done, unless it continues to drag on.

2) The SF/Riley collection was definately in my opinion a single pedegree collection. I have seen dozens of them in ultra high gade condition with identical characteristics that indicates that the books came out of a single collection (in head to head battles for condition, only the Churches rival, and I have owned a few titles and identical issues, where I had the Church/Frisco of both). Whether the origin of he books is accurate or not, I believe that they came from one collection.

Dwight

Work out? No money, no pulps, and 9 months worth of time wasted. If even he waved a magic wand and sent Matt money which he presumably doesn't have, or sent him the pulps some of which he's reportedly already sold - note that neither option appears possible - Beerbong would have still wasted untold hours of the poor man's time.

I don't know where the bright line from slow shipper to thief is passed, but something tells me we left it in the dust quite a while ago.

I don't think anyone disputes that there was a Reilly collection, but the story doesn't check out, comes from Bob, and the first letter of the stamp looks like an A not a T. There's a fair bit there to wonder about

The more I look at the stamp the more I think it looks like "Allen" than Tom. I don't believe the second letter of the first name is an "O". And there can't be an "I" or we would see the dot like in Reilly.

The cork soaker has the nerve to post "Never be afraid to stand for what's right" in reference to his BS attacks on CGC.....

https://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm?fref=ts

He's got time to post on facebook. Trips to the post office to do what's "right"? That's a tough one for the champion of "right".

Please post screen shots...I'm cut off from Bob's Facebook page.

Beerbong_zps09b22b53.jpg

And this is how he wins.

Just a couple of things:

1) My goal was not have a witch hunt on Bob, but to defend Matt's character on the boards (against an initial attack from another board member...which was resolved), and to help Matt to get his books or money back. Once the issue is resolved for me, it is done, unless it continues to drag on.

2) The SF/Riley collection was definately in my opinion a single pedegree collection. I have seen dozens of them in ultra high gade condition with identical characteristics that indicates that the books came out of a single collection (in head to head battles for condition, only the Churches rival, and I have owned a few titles and identical issues, where I had the Church/Frisco of both). Whether the origin of he books is accurate or not, I believe that they came from one collection.

Dwight

No question. the books are so consistent in every respect it would not be possible to merge the books from multiple sources. Besides, back in 1972 there was no such thing as a Pedigree or increased value due to a books pedigree, so there's no real reason to fake the books themselves.

Just a couple of things:

Dwight

No question. the books are so consistent in every respect it would not be possible to merge the books from multiple sources. Besides, back in 1972 there was no such thing as a Pedigree or increased value due to a books pedigree, so there's no real reason to fake the books themselves.

.... all this heresay is fine and dandy.... but I'm going to need you guys to send me 8 or 10 different San Franciscos so I can make up my own mind.... only then, can the issue be fully resolved :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just a couple of things:

Dwight

Absolutely. I wouldn't go overboard on this just because of the current state of BLB's reputation. A group of very high-grade books ending (I think) in mid-1945 come to market. A fairly consistent story is told from the start, not just by BLB but by Bud Plant and others. I think it very unlikely that the whole thing was made up.

BLB's objection to the naming of the collection is that he was told Reilly was from Piedmont, which is on the other side of the bay from SF. (The county of SF includes only the city of SF.) Still, it is mysterious that tracking down anyone with that name has proven very difficult and the first name in the name stamp doesn't appear to be Tom, Thomas, or a variant.

We may never get to the bottom of it, but the books still represent a great OO collection whatever the truth of how they came to be assembled and by whom. 2c

that was my worry... in reading the oral history over at detective27 (http://www.detective27.com/pedigreearticle.htm) what strikes me is that after the first batch of books are purchased by Nick Marcus and Mike Manyak at the show in public the remaining books are purchased after the fact (when the owners were "overwhelmed" by the bidding/offers and retreated home. Then the couple calls C&C with Bob? then a second and third call? Seems odd, and now that we see Bob's penchant for creating stories to validate his reality can we be sure that those subsequent SFs were all part of the OO collection?

What if Bob saw this as a way to inject more value into his other GA books of similar quality? And then Bob saw how the market reacted to rich pedigree stories like the Okajima books, and decided to add some more flavor (and profit) to the pedigree he was selling?

I dont know anything, but when someone shows such willingness to be unscrupulous in business, it makes me question all of their acts in the past, not just the ones tied to the pulp transaction.

[font:Arial Black]Hello,

I heard the entire story about the SF collection 10 years before the Okajima's or other later pedegrees surfaced.

The fact remains, whether the original story or correct or not, it was a single owner collection, and the only pedegree of any size in my mind, that rivals the Church/Mile-High when comparing the issues head to head, especially the SF books from the 1942-45 time period (of course the SF collection was not nearly the size of the Church collection). All the SF's that I have owned have graded 9.4-9.8 with white pages. I have had the same issues of both pedigrees and when comparing them, it was a toss-up. Not saying that the Allentowns were not killer, but that was a much smaller collection.

Dwight [/font]

I believe the story was just a marketing gimmick concocted by someone in the chain of sales to garner more interest and make an extra buck. A nice book is nice, but a nice book owned by a young man killed in a kamikaze attack and loving cherished by his parents for decades is waaaay better. The pedigree consists of great books, but I would like to know the real story behind them.

Tom could have been middle name (shrug)

Wouldn't the name "Reilly" appear somewhere on those posted pics of inductees though?

Wouldn't the name "Reilly" appear somewhere on those posted pics of inductees though?

It might be the wrong county.

It might be the wrong county.

Here is the only Reilly from California killed in combat during WWII.

27-1121a.gif

No Relily died as a POW

27-1245a.gif