• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

There was never an inventory list by Bob

I always saw that as a real shame and a missed opportunity, but knowing Bob asking for an accurate list would be.. problematic.

But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Its a pedigree and a spectacular one. The books are great. The story is questionable.

Bob has always adamantly stated that the collection had full runs of the Nedor titles, which seems to be 100% incorrect, unless someone bought them all and has hidden them away for 40+ years. I've asked every dealer that I know, asked several people at CGC and Heritage, and no one has any knowledge or ever seen a SF Nedor.

does "bob adamantly stated" deserve more credibility than "bob stated?" cuz i don't put much stock in the latter.

ehh, it could have simply been true also. It wouldn't be the first pedigree where the later books are in the best condition. The OO ages, they get read / abused less, I think its the norm really that the later books grade out higher.

There has always been one thing that made no sense to me about the pedigree

The stamp.

I have never seen a Timely San francisco book with the stamp on it. Which doesn't make sense since according to Robert's story all of "Tom"'s books were being stamped with his personal stamp for pick up. So why does this 1944 Timely not have a stamp??

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7002&lotIdNo=86005

or this one from 1942:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=804&lotIdNo=44492

Taking the army death stuff out of the story, the idea we are supposed to believe is that books were being pulled at one newsstand for "Tom" and placed in a pile for pickup. Ok then shouldn't EVERY book have that stamp on there, at least during the 1942-1945 time period. All of the Timelys I've seen are just listed with a similar distributor mark but thats it.

Second. Who on earth had a personalized Rubber stamp during WWII. Rubber was being rationed during this time period. I can't see "Tom" walking into a stationary store and saying, here make a rubber stamp of my signature, I want to use it to mark my Comic books...

Again the books are AMAZING. Don't get me wrong. I just don't think they are a pedigree. I think what happened was someone stumbled upon a large set of books in great condition from the distributor. Maybe a warehouse find of some sort and the story grew out of that. I mean just the story alone sets off my BS detector. An elderly couple walking into the FIRST underground comix convention (doubt it was getting any publicity, how did they hear about it, the penny saver???) comes in with STACKS of books (how were they transporting them? were they on a handtruck? I mean carrying more than 50 books can be hard for ME and I'm 28 and in relatively good shape) that everyone is running to and throwing money at. It sounds like just that, a story.

1. That second book from 1942 you asked about does have a stamp, it's on the center back cover.. it's just smudged.

2. The "Reilly" stamp ends about mid 1942.

3. My guess is that Reilly himself stamped the books before he left for the war, that's why no books from the last part of the collection have his stamp.

4. The San Francisco collection is with out a doubt a Pedigree collection, second only to the MH collection due to it's sheer size.

Calling Mitch.

That's like saying "Beetlejuice", noooooooooooooo! :ohnoez: But in all seriousness is Mitch wants to really gain some kudos for a change on these boards and if he is indeed a good friend of Bob's then maybe he should help Bob ship these books to Matt? However, I suspect that Bob has sold some of them off or probably didn't have everything he claimed to have had, hence the non delivery. :tonofbricks:

The cork soaker has the nerve to post "Never be afraid to stand for what's right" in reference to his BS attacks on CGC.....

https://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm?fref=ts

He's got time to post on facebook. Trips to the post office to do what's "right"? That's a tough one for the champion of "right".

Please post screen shots...I'm cut off from Bob's Facebook page.

tragic.

I'm pretty sure that Bud Plant tells the same Reilly story as BLB but it's been a long time, so I may be misremembering. I was a regular customer of Comics&Comix during this period but I was a broke college student mainly looking for mid-grade Marvel and Barks Ducks. (I remember spending a week or so harassing them to accept some of my shlock in trade for a mid-grade copy of FC 48 "Porky of the Mounties." That was the level I was at! :D )

I wish I could remember what I heard about the collection at the time but I can't separate what I heard later from what I heard then -- if in fact I heard anything then. Hard to believe I wouldn't have heard the story just from shooting the breeze with them but paying top dollar for GA books wasn't in the realm of the possible for me so I may not have been paying attention and they wouldn't have seen me as a potential buyer. They may also not have been widely broadcasting that they had the books, particularly if they were keeping them in the store. Thefts were a significant problem for Telegraph Ave stores. I remember in those days talking to someone at Cody's Books, which was up the street from C&C, and they were losing a ton of money to shoplifters.

I'm pretty sure that Bud Plant tells the same Reilly story as BLB but it's been a long time, so I may be misremembering. I was a regular customer of Comics&Comix during this period but I was a broke college student mainly looking for mid-grade Marvel and Barks Ducks. (I remember spending a week or so harassing them to accept some of my shlock in trade for a mid-grade copy of FC 48 "Porky of the Mounties." That was the level I was at! :D )

I wish I could remember what I heard about the collection at the time but I can't separate what I heard later from what I heard then -- if in fact I heard anything then. Hard to believe I wouldn't have heard the story just from shooting the breeze with them but paying top dollar for GA books wasn't in the realm of the possible for me so I may not have been paying attention and they wouldn't have seen me as a potential buyer. They may also not have been widely broadcasting that they had the books, particularly if they were keeping them in the store. Thefts were a significant problem for Telegraph Ave stores. I remember in those days talking to someone at Cody's Books, which was up the street from C&C, and they were losing a ton of money to shoplifters.

i was nowhere NEAR cody's books during that era.

i was nowhere NEAR cody's books during that era.

You know, DNA evidence can still be collected! :sumo:

I just got off the phone with Matt and the last Matt heard was that the pulps had been shipped out to a third party in New York and that Matt was going to have to drive there and get them.....a 16 hour round trip!

It's like reading a horror story soap opera about this fiasco, and I just haven't had time to really follow it.

Can someone tell me why these books were supposedly shipped to a third party? :facepalm:

After all this B.S. they should have been delivered to his door in person.

I just got off the phone with Matt and the last Matt heard was that the pulps had been shipped out to a third party in New York and that Matt was going to have to drive there and get them.....a 16 hour round trip!

It's like reading a horror story soap opera about this fiasco, and I just haven't had time to really follow it.

Can someone tell me why these books were supposedly shipped to a third party? :facepalm:

Perhaps Bob doesn't trust Matthew. Lot of red flags there :facepalm:

Perhaps Bob doesn't trust Matthew. Lot of red flags there :facepalm:

That might be funny if it wasn't so sad. Thanks for the update. And does anyone know who the third party is?

Dwight,

I am in New York City. If they were truly shipped here (I doubt it is true) I will be glad to pick them up and ship them to Matt free of charge, after I have gone through them thoroughly to document everything about the transaction.

If by some miracle, the books actually show up I'd be happy to help with postage.

You've got to be kidding me. He shipped them to someone 8 hours away?

So Matt has to take 2 days to recover a presumably incomplete shipment of pulps after already wasting 9 months.

I'm not one to suggest altercations, but yeesh. Some day some irate customer is going to drive their wheelchair right over his foot.

He probably shipped them to the Mos Eisley spaceport.

A few weeks ago I was somewhat luke-warm that Matt may get his books, but it sure looks like they keep slip sliding away. Has Mitch chimed in by the way?

He probably shipped them to the Mos Eisley spaceport.

A few weeks ago I was somewhat luke-warm that Matt may get his books, but it sure looks like they keep slip sliding away. Has Mitch chimed in by the way?

I thought his ebay store was the Mos Eisley spaceport...

When it was clear what a clown Bob was being Mitch bailed and suggested its up to Bob to deal with this going forward. Of course that didn't stop him from posting his pathetic jab about the situation in his Journey of a Comic Book Bozo thread.

I want to thank you SS for enjoying the JOACBC 2013 special edition. However I think you need to reread it....we are all bothers and sisters now and we need to respect one another to have a better comic book fourm, and better comic book world. It is a "small" world after all.

To address your post:

1-" Bob is a clown" I do not believe Bob or any other board member is a "clown", especially a comic book dealer who has devoted his entire life to our comic book world. Nobody, except you SS, is perfect. Clearly Bob has had his ups and downs.

2- "Mitch Bailed" I cannot think a more untrue statement. I took on the entire board along with Pat C. on this issue. I have never let a friend down, ever in my life. To suggest that untrue statement is not only insulting as a board member but down right ugly. Frankly, I think that statement is below you SS. Every board member jumped on the ship to kick in Bob's face, like predator wild beasts ripping at flesh....or the lynch mob waiting to hang its victim on a lonely southern county road. not me, not ever...

3- "suggesting that its up to Bob to deal with it"y. Again, untrue and insulting. I have tried with super powers to get Matt his merchandise. I am in DAILY contact with Bob pushing him to get things done, and the pulps are in transit .. When it comes to this board, Bob trusts only a very few members here, myself and Pat included. I will never give up until matt gets what he paid for or a full refund. I find calling me a implied "quitter" the lowest of the low, and done with total untruth. I would hope Bob could dig himself out of this and restore some sort of positive place in comic book history and have matt get his books that he deserves. Unlike other posters who "hope' for failure just to cut me down, this type of "false hope" sickens me to say the least.

4- the " pathetic jab"....a statement that will remain in my memory for some time........I don't see other members trying to make this fourm, bigger and better, and expanding the posting by new membership in a much more friendly fourm. We not only lose out in the posters who get run off, but of the ones that never come on....so I can think of a lot of things that are not right this world. But I have always wanted a positive outcome both for Bob and Matt from day one and will continue and hope that everything gets settled in a positive manner despite rude and insulting comments.

5- "Bozo" implies that you think I am a clown...Bozo the clown for that matter, so let me get this straight: I have been a comic book collector, dealer, store owner,and created a comic book convention since 1960 and that makes me a "bozo"....this is unacceptable, rude, and unnecessary.

When it was clear what a clown Bob was being Mitch bailed and suggested its up to Bob to deal with this going forward. Of course that didn't stop him from posting his pathetic jab about the situation in his Journey of a Comic Book Bozo thread.

3- "suggesting that its up to Bob to deal with it"y. Again, untrue and insulting. I have tried with super powers to get Matt his merchandise. I am in DAILY contact with Bob pushing him to get things done, and the pulps are in transit .. When it comes to this board, Bob trusts only a very few members here, myself and Pat included. I will never give up until matt gets what he paid for or a full refund. I find calling me a implied "quitter" the lowest of the low, and done with total untruth. I would hope Bob could dig himself out of this and restore some sort of positive place in comic book history and have matt get his books that he deserves. Unlike other posters who "hope' for failure just to cut me down, this type of "false hope" sickens me to say the least.

You have super powers? That's so cool, can you describe them?

Seriously, Mitch...I doubt anyone expects that you can wave a magic wand and get Matt his books, but there was a tiny bit of bragging going on before...plus some Matt bashing. He's still the victim, not Bob.