• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some questions about Deadworld series.

46 posts in this topic

My LCS recently got in a collection of horror books. I picked up Requiem for the World trade but am not sure what it actually collects in terms of vol/publisher. Is it the first 1-6 issues from the original run by Arrow?

For single issues, he did have the first Arrow issue and I believe he only had the Caliber issues but I could be wrong. I am not too familiar with the series. Where is the best place to start on this series and is it even worth reading?

Thanks.

Does he have a Deadworld #10? If so :takeit:

It's a good read, though the artwork makes it tough sometimes to follow along because it was pure B&W and the text boxes sometimes get lost in the shadow techniques used.

It started in the comic Realm #4, and then flowed into its own title with Deadworld #1. What made it interesting is where other horror books up to that time had portrayed zombies as brain dead, flesh-eating mindless creatures, Deadworld's villains were planners and thinkers.

But don't expect the intensity and riveting storytelling of The Walking Dead. This series doesn't even come close.

Here's the official website.

Deadworld.com

I don't need to be a completist with this series just wondering if it is worth going beyond the trade that I picked up and what exact volume does that trade actually collect?

As for Deadworld 10 - is this the issue http://www.comics.org/issue/260147/

I can check but I don't remember off the top of my head. Looking that the issues they were fines or f/vf nothing in NM condition. If that is ok with you then PM and I will check. He is closed today but open the rest of the week.

I like WD but I feel that it is predictible. However, I love the characters and that is what makes me want to continue reading it. Well that and Kirkman's writing is just nice and easy.

That's the issue! There are two covers - tame and a "Not For Wussies" edition, which was done for a few issues.

I'm looking for 9.4 or better, so if it is below this, no worries. But thank you for any help.

It sounds like the REQUIEM TPB is a reboot, so not sure if you need to collect the original issues in order to have the entire storyline to read.

The series was good for the first 16 or so issues. I prefer it over Walking Dead actually, and the Vince Locke artwork is some of my favorite in any comic book :)

The writers and artists changed around so many times after Vince Locke moved on to Sandman at Vertigo and Gary Reed went on to whatever he was doing that the book no longer had any direction and some of the later art was pretty bad. Even the good stuff wasn't as good as Vince Locke's stuff so it paled in comparison. I think I have a couple issues from the Image run now but have not read them, it is a reboot but as far as I have seen it follows the same storyline pretty closely.

Wasn't there more than one volume for this title?

Yes there was that is why I started the thread. For some reason I thought the trade I got collected the original series.

Nope. That was why I provided the link to the official website as it summarizes each of the TPBs.

Yours was a reboot of the series, which could either be considered a standalone storyline, or something to interest you in going back and reading all the original material.

Vince Locke signed a Realm 4 and a Deadworld 1 & 2 for me @ Motor City this weekend. :banana:

HOLY!

Three great books to have. Are these going into CGC, Sean?

Hells to the yeah. The Realm and the #2 have legit 9.8 shots. The #1 does too, but only if they account for the top staple issues as a production defect. Anyone that has looked at enough of these knows what i am talking about. :frustrated:

Wasn't there more than one volume for this title?

Yes there was that is why I started the thread. For some reason I thought the trade I got collected the original series.

Nope. That was why I provided the link to the official website as it summarizes each of the TPBs.

Yours was a reboot of the series, which could either be considered a standalone storyline, or something to interest you in going back and reading all the original material.

Thanks. I took a look at it today and it looks pretty good.

Vince Locke signed a Realm 4 and a Deadworld 1 & 2 for me @ Motor City this weekend. :banana:

HOLY!

Hells to the yeah. The Realm and the #2 have legit 9.8 shots. The #1 does too, but only if they account for the top staple issues as a production defect. Anyone that has looked at enough of these knows what i am talking about. :frustrated:

they became 2.0 after a little Imodium accident

HOLY!

they became 2.0 after a little Imodium accident

That's just gross.

Since this series has some of the craziest Copper Age covers, time to give this a bump.

So the series 'Not For Wussies' covers started with Deadworld #5. So that means I need to track down the tame cover on that one.

UGJFzlrl.jpg

pe2eHSol.jpg

I think Abracadabra had posted somewhere O'Barr had contributed artwork from 10-14, so I may stop at 14 with this run. At least I've picked up the bulk of the early run, and just need 3-4, 14A and then 14B.

:whee: