• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghost rider may be 1st original bronze supernatural character

41 posts in this topic

Thanks zonker! well put & amusing post! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif you really did do it all in emoticons!!! that is a very original concept to keep him painfully mysterious, but like you said i guess he doesn't qualify. I used to have that secret origins, but don't think i ever had a chance to read it.

I think we'll all agree with you that GR was the first original, bronze-age, supernatural, Marvel character, with a flaming skull and motorcycle, that debuted in Marvel Spotlight. First EVER, darnit!!!!! grin.gif

ALL HAIL GHOST RIDER!!! sumo.gif

THE RIDER OF... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...OF Ghosts?

ANYWAY....HAIL!

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAH!! *cough, cough* grin.gif

Seriously. You people need to lay off the GR books. It's getting to be an expensive habit.

So don't go away mad... devil.gif

flowerred.gif

ok, all! here i go....

i could give it to deadman, but he is an avenging ghost, which is an archetype

Ghost rider is a flaming skull head demon on a motorcycle.

But I thought Ghost Rider was all about the Spirit of Vengeance? confused.gif And all this Archetype talk sounds way to much like my English classes, which I try and forget about when I am home...

it hit me the other day, that Ghost rider is the 1st original concept supernatural character in bronze comics, and actually the 1st since the heap debuted in airboy back in the 40's. All the others were based on literary characters or archetypes. Just a thought....

What about Deadman?

Jim

As much as I love Deadman, it's hardly original. I always thought of it as a pulling elements from the Spectre (and probably lots of other literary sources) and direclty ripping off "The Fugitive" tv series (also tremendous)

i guess the demon aspect isn't exactly new, but the tying it to a human and making him the protagonist was a new idea at the time.

I guess this all depends on how you define new in this sense. There are elements of the Marvel Ghost Rider character that have been 'borrowed' from older characters, just as more obviously borrowed characters such as Werewolf By Night do have new elements to them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As much as I love Deadman, it's hardly original.

This illustrates the point that I am trying to make. There are hardly any completely original concepts/characters only varying degrees of adaptation.

Yup the Ghost Rider who rides the motor cycle is an adapted GR who rode the horse. And that GR is influenced by the Headless Horsemen. 893whatthe.gif

good point mephisto, its a lineage, a stretch of one, but i could see it. I guess my point was, dracula, morbius, werewolf, man thing, swamp thing, demon, all of these were very familiar in a comics subtext, but ghost rider seemed very different than the others upon his arrival. In thinking though, i think vampirella may actually be a pretty unusual spin as she was a she, and was from another planet where EVERYONE was a vampire. Who knows, all i know is ghosty is refreshing in comparison to his less original bretheren. confused-smiley-013.gif

but ghost rider seemed very different than the others upon his arrival.

Shiver! Have you read any (or some) of the MLJ Ghost Rider books? (Man, I had a gorgeous 27 as I recall - anyway - very first appearance - in minimum 9.2 - gawd my selling it was one of the worst tings I did in comics! Black cover and silvery white GR - Ayers - man!!!!) frown.gifsmile.gif

but ghost rider seemed very different than the others upon his arrival.

Shiver! Have you read any (or some) of the MLJ Ghost Rider books? (Man, I had a gorgeous 27 as I recall - anyway - very first appearance - in minimum 9.2 - gawd my selling it was one of the worst tings I did in comics! Black cover and silvery white GR - Ayers - man!!!!) frown.gifsmile.gif

Is that the book you saw years later still in the shop you sold it to now in VF condition due to poor handling? confused.gif

Is that the book you saw years later still in the shop you sold it to now in VF condition due to poor handling?

Worse than VF - nd yes - a truly stunning Ayers cover - dead black background and silvery white main char - just beautiful - would give much to undo selling to the dillweed who let it get so dinged. frown.gif

hey pov, i do like the early western ghost riders. I only have one right now, its the one with the frankenstein cover, but i do intend to get more. I used to have the one with the cave cover where he is fighting a strange snake monster. Yeah, i should get more of those.....