• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wall-mountable CGC display frames premiered at Motor City!
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I am currently working with a company called GeekBox that is producing UV blocking mountable display cases. They can it up to 16 slabs showing 4 at a time and the case can be locked.

The price is very affordable. I believe before shipping it is around $80.

We are also working on getting CGC behind this by being able to use the CGC name officially with the product.

I think it is great to see people working to put out items to display CGC books!

Pics?? Web-site??

They look very nice,but nothing would stop sunlight or indoor UV lighting from the comic. (shrug)

That has always been my biggest worry. I've never hung a book on my walls for fear of fading. Has anyone had any experience with this? I worry that even interior light could ruin a book...

A window-less room where the lights are only on when I'm in there - I'm not worried:

cbr-main5.jpg

UV protection built into the frame isn't as important as what mschmidt is saying here--if you're going to hang comics and you don't want the colors to fade, you HAVE to control the light into the area ENTIRELY and keep it dark the entire time people aren't in the room. Sounds simple, but it really isn't. You have to use curtains that allow in absolutely zero light to the room if there are any windows at all...I almost never see people use the right types of curtains, or even if they do, I rarely see them used correctly, the rooms still get bathed with ambient sunlight. It also needs to be a room you don't go into very often, which is the opposite of what you end up wanting--you typically want to show a book off, so people tend to put them in offices, dens, or computer rooms where there's a lot of human traffic that leads to longer periods of light exposure. If you want to hang something in a higher-traffic area, make sure it's something you don't care much about, as you can expect it to fade over a 5-to-20-year timespan. I eventually gave up on this because I go in and out of most areas I'd actually want the comics to hang in, so I just hang low-grade cheapies that present well via the frame--and I'll eventually replace those with larger, poster-sized blowups because they're better than comics for wall-display purposes--they present MUCH better and are easier to see across a room.

As for the interior lighting, low-wattage standard light bulbs are great. I always forget this, but standard white bulbs are flourescent, right? Whereas the long bulbs people use in office buildings are incandescent? Or do I have that reversed? If I'm right that long-bulbs are incandescent, that's not what you want to use around paper and art at all, that type of light fades art--standard bulbs have much weaker light that minimizes fading.

They look very nice,but nothing would stop sunlight or indoor UV lighting from the comic. (shrug)

That has always been my biggest worry. I've never hung a book on my walls for fear of fading. Has anyone had any experience with this? I worry that even interior light could ruin a book...

A window-less room where the lights are only on when I'm in there - I'm not worried:

UV protection built into the frame isn't as important as what mschmidt is saying here--if you're going to hang comics and you don't want the colors to fade, you HAVE to control the light into the area ENTIRELY and keep it dark the entire time people aren't in the room. Sounds simple, but it really isn't. You have to use curtains that allow in absolutely zero light to the room if there are any windows at all...I almost never see people use the right types of curtains, or even if they do, I rarely see them used correctly, the rooms still get bathed with ambient sunlight. It also needs to be a room you don't go into very often, which is the opposite of what you end up wanting--you typically want to show a book off, so people tend to put them in offices, dens, or computer rooms where there's a lot of human traffic that leads to longer periods of light exposure. If you want to hang something in a higher-traffic area, make sure it's something you don't care much about, as you can expect it to fade over a 5-to-20-year timespan. I eventually gave up on this because I go in and out of most areas I'd actually want the comics to hang in, so I just hang low-grade cheapies that present well via the frame--and I'll eventually replace those with larger, poster-sized blowups because they're better than comics for wall-display purposes--they present MUCH better and are easier to see across a room.

As for the interior lighting, low-wattage standard light bulbs are great. I always forget this, but standard white bulbs are flourescent, right? Whereas the long bulbs people use in office buildings are incandescent? Or do I have that reversed? If I'm right that long-bulbs are incandescent, that's not what you want to use around paper and art at all, that type of light fades art--standard bulbs have much weaker light that minimizes fading.

I have decided on not displaying any of my comic art or books on the wall due to the damage over time. I think high rez blow ups of my favorite books in a decent frame will look just as nice and my books are still available for viewing if anyone would like.

cbr-main5.jpg

Strike that, reverse it.

Wow, those frames look great.

And the $80 case that was mentioned sounds very affordable as well. (thumbs u

Can't wait to see that.

I love displaying my books. I got them to enjoy, not lock up in a cave.

The people in the future can just deal with it.

I can't imagine the small amount of light in my room will do much damage at all, and besides I have enough books to rotate them out plenty of times.

Enjoy your hobby people.

I love displaying my books. I got them to enjoy, not lock up in a cave.

The people in the future can just deal with it.

I can't imagine the small amount of light in my room will do much damage at all, and besides I have enough books to rotate them out plenty of times.

Enjoy your hobby people.

It makes me feel hypocritical to act that way...I value high-grade books kept in pristine condition yet I refuse to keep my own books in storage conditions that will keep them that way? So the books were great until they got into my ham-fisted hands? I can't do that. :ohnoez:

Rotating can work, but most likely won't. You'll get tired of rotating and eventually some set of books will end up not getting rotated for 5 years, 10 years, or however long you end up living in the same house... :blush: I display my books as you're suggesting, but I do it less permanently than wall-mounting--I stand them up on shelves using plate stands where there's zero work to place and remove the book from the stand. But even the books I put on the stands end up getting displayed in light for too long, so I tend to shelve those for long periods as well.

It's all inferior to blown-up wall posters of your best books anyway because you can see the posterized versions across the room. Just take a high-res scan of books you like and get them turned into posters...it's win-win, no harming of the originals AND they look great across a room. :cloud9:

BCE does have a UV resistant frame. I have not bought one but saw it on the website. Anyone ever use one?

http://www.bcemylar.com/graded_comics.cfm

I bought one just to check it out - it looks ugly and is cheaply made. Can't recommend it at all.

Yeah I have to agree with this. Have a couple that I've never used, don't like how they sit in the frame, not the best construction.

cbr-main5.jpg

Show off (worship)

But now I have your Miracleman #22 CGC 9.8 SS book :grin:

I know I can't see the frame too well in the photo - but the depth looks like it would hold both a piece of glass and the CGC holder. Conservation glass isn't that expensive for pieces that small - I would simply go to my local frame shop and purchase pre-cut conservation glass that fit in front of the comic - if I really wanted to display my book and not a poster-sized scan of my book. You may not be able to get a national craft store that does framing to sell the glass individually, but a glass store or locally owned shop certainly would - I have my original comic art displayed that way, and the guaranteed 100% UV protection is worth the extra couple $$$.

I know I'm a little late to the game on this conversation, but LED light bulbs (no UV light from them) and Archival "Museum" glass on the front of the frame should do the trick on this if it is in a windowless room. I would still err on the side of not leaving the lights on all day, but between the lack of UV light from the sun and LED bulbs, the minimal UV protection offered from the CGC case and the near 100% protection offered from the museum glass, you should be good to go on this.

CGC should offer a case made from UV resistant plastic!!! (if there is such a thing???)

PVC is UV resistant by default - but plastic that offers 100% UV protection is insanely expensive.

If by some miracle CGC started using it, the grading fees would go up by hundreds of dollars across the board.

What if the entire slab wasn't made of it, but a thin film with the 100% UV plastic was somehow attached to the front through lamination process? I wonder how thin they could get away with it being and still get the 100% UV protection?

The lamination process would require some engineering, which would cost some money though. They'd likely have to redesign their whole slab. But I bet they have scheduled slab redesigns budgeted anyway to help prevent a good slab forgery showing up?

They look great but I wish they hade more support behind the slabb to keep it from potentially popping out of the frame. I would be nervous to pull one of those off the wall.

The slab is totally snug inside the frame - and the two rubber plugs ensure it can't fall out. You've got nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

Just curious if Golden Age books or Giant size books (for example 96 page books) that are in thicker slabs would fit in those frames?

Great price on the OP holders.  $20 is a steal for anything powder coated.  Hope the guy is doing well

Definitely use LED bulbs in the room.  Also, there are some acrylics that are UV filtering that can be slipped in front of the slab, though they aren't cheap.  Additionally, there is an aerosol UV protectant spray.  I haven't used it but plan to on an art piece, so I can report back on it when I do.  It could be sprayed on a sheet of plexi, then placed in front of the slab into the holder.

I've been working on a display idea myself, based on a wall mounted wine rack and a couple lamps I've fabricated.  Once I get my first slabs back from cgc, I'll test out the concept.