• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the Neal Adams Market Crashed?

151 posts in this topic

I was looking at some books that are for sell on ebay and comic link and I have noticed that they are selling way below gpa. I just saw a batman 232 cgc 9.6 sell for 665.00 on ebay! So what do you guys think, Is it the economy or Neal Adams cooling off?

I was looking at some books that are for sell on ebay and comic link and I have noticed that they are selling way below gpa. I just saw a batman 232 cgc 9.6 sell for 665.00 on ebay! So what do you guys think, Is it the economy or Neal Adams cooling off?

It`s a 9.6 bronze those and the coppers 9.8`s have been some of the hardest hit in this economys downfall. The best answer I can give you is check out what the prices are going for in 3 months then 6 months, then we will have a better overall look.I am interested in Adams myself and would hate to see his books drop like the Frank Miller books did in the copper age.

common as dirt in grade.

WOW!! $150 less than the last 9.6 sold for.

Like stated above, there are over 50 copies in 9.6 and nearly 600 total graded copies on the census. Hardly a rarity. Bats #232 has been cooling since "Batman Begins" came and went, peaking at the time of release. Just coming back down to pre-hype levels. High grade Adams is still strong, especially at the 9.6, 9.8 levels when they become much rarer. The HOM and HOS horror covers still jump from $300-$400 at 9.4 to $1K+ without fail in 9.6. I wouldn't make the generalization that Adams is cooling.

I can't figure out why any of this is a surprise? The books were way over valued compared to others in the same category. Batman, Detective comics, ( :gossip: I hear they printed a lot of those) to think that just because there is a low census count means they are not out there everywhere is not logical.

There is a very good reason why I do not have many of the Adams Bat book keys; because I knew they would become easier and easier to get. Be it main stream titles with high print runs or the pressing game, low census numbers made no sense.

The white page, perfect QP books will still sell well, throw in a pedigree and you are set; run of the mill, white on the spine cut wrong OW and you will struggle.

Buy what you like, determine its true value, not GPA, not what your heart says. Look at other books of similar importance, if there is a low census count, don't be fooled.

Anytime you are in a hurry to sell a book, you generally have to take a discount, whether it is at a store, or on ebay, or wherever. The Neal Adams market is exceedingly strong actually.

BTW, if I would have seen that book, it would not have sold for 665.00. If anyone has one they want to sell for that price(unless it has something funky), let me know, because I would take it.

I hope they drop like a rock!!! More for me because I will buy them even if the market says they have zero value

:gossip: There are plenty of great Neal Adams 1980`s Continuity comics that are there to be had at great prices.These are even his own creations. :)

I hope they drop like a rock!!! More for me because I will buy them even if the market says they have zero value

:gossip: There are plenty of great Neal Adams 1980`s Continuity comics that are there to be had at great prices.These are even his own creations. :)

yes there are....

for what it's worth I recently picked up an X-Men 98 9.6 that went for bout $350 lower than any previous GPA.

classic adams cover

lol my fault. i meant 58. not sure why my finger went all way to 9

when you see a Batman #227 9.4 sell for $500 then you can re-start this thread.

Well seeing as how that is what it was selling for before 2007, I don't think a return to that price range is unlikely. The huge run up from the last few years on most post '65 books was unwarranted.

As far as Bats 232 selling for $500, it has nothing to do with Adams cooling off, it's just a common as dirt book that should never have been selling for over a $1000 (shrug)

Gawd, I hope so - Frank Robbins could outdraw this guy with one arm stapled to his back meh

Well seeing as how that is what it was selling for before 2007, I don't think a return to that price range is unlikely. The huge run up from the last few years on most post '65 books was unwarranted.

As far as Bats 232 selling for $500, it has nothing to do with Adams cooling off, it's just a common as dirt book that should never have been selling for over a $1000 (shrug)

i completely agree.

I'm a fan of the artist rather than a speculator and, collecting on a budget, the cheaper his 60s / 70s work becomes, especially in high grade, the happier I will be about this situation. A definite plus factor for me.

I have been hearing that post 1965 talk a lot on this board, why is that considered the cut off point and not say like 1968? anything to do with the 1966 Adam West Batman show making comics popular again? hm