• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your regularly scheduled CL Auction winners and losers

152 posts in this topic

2010 will be the year known to comic historians as the year X-men #1 surpassed

Fantastic Four #1 in overall popularity. poor FF #1, first AF #15 and now X-men #1. :cry:

You're measuring this based upon 4 of 7 copies in existence changing hands within six months at a price that's half what an equivalent FF #1 fetches in 9.4? Sounds like people are tossing this book around like a hot potato nobody wants to hold onto! :insane: You only see Fantastic Fours in this grade change hands once or twice a decade, which is mostly because there are a lot less in existence. If Fantastic Four #1 and X-Men #1 were available in equivalent numbers, the gap would be less--I suspect FF #1 would be perhaps a $125K - $150K book instead of the $210K it sold for a few months ago, which was the first time a 9.4 or better copy had been on the market since 2002--it sold for $111K back then.

X-men 1 CGC 9.4 went for over $105k. I thought we'd see a drop in price but it was $5k more than the last one. Nice sale, Gator!

That's just amazing! I think that's 4 copies now that have topped $100K since Mound City!

$100K is the new $50K.

Not in my retirement accounts, it's not. :mad:

Should`ve sunk your money into HG SA keys. :gossip:

Fantastic Four #1 in overall popularity. poor FF #1, first AF #15 and now X-men #1. :cry:

You're measuring this based upon 4 of 7 copies in existence changing hands within six months at a price that's half what an equivalent FF #1 fetches in 9.4? Sounds like people are tossing this book around like a hot potato nobody wants to hold onto! :insane: You only see Fantastic Fours in this grade change hands once or twice a decade, which is mostly because there are a lot less in existence. If Fantastic Four #1 and X-Men #1 were available in equivalent numbers, the gap would be less--I suspect FF #1 would be perhaps a $125K - $150K book instead of the $210K it sold for a few months ago, which was the first time a 9.4 or better copy had been on the market since 2002--it sold for $111K back then.

Agreed, no way X-Men 1 surpasses FF 1 in price in equal grades. I don't see any silver key surpassing it except maybe Hulk 1 in 9.4 hm

Obviously not including AF 15.

A Hulk in a genuine 9.4 coming onto the market would be in AF15 territory, if not even surpassing them. It is a genuinely incredibly rare book at that grade.

Well with only 1 9.4 in the census and none higher, I would love to see it come up for auction :popcorn:

On scarcity alone it should go for more than AF 15 in 9.4 but I'm not sure it would top $250K

I know a man here that I used to work with long ago, who has a big FF collection. I have never seen it or talked seriously with him, but I think he has higher graded stuff. He's the kind of source that is still out there for unknown books. He hasn't bought any(a couple) since CGC began, and has no plans to sell or buy more. He's saving them for his kids. In the future every once in a while a new collection will turn up. If it's full of 7.0's no one will raise an eyebrow, but when 9.0-9.4's turn up, that will excite the market.

I wish I had been collecting before I started. My family was in Germany and when we moved back I had to get rid of all but one title. I would have collected most of the big name titles, but ended up with just Spider-Man.

I was looking at about 7 different Marvel Silver and Bronze Age books. I only managed to win one of them by a slim margin. It seems like prices all ended around the high note for this month's focus auctions.

Nearly everything I was after went for well over GPA, in some cases way over, which meant I won only a couple of books at over the odds. Any deals to be had were on books that I hadn't prioritized or only noticed after auction close. :mad:

Any deals to be had were on books that I hadn't prioritized or only noticed after auction close. :mad:

That`s why I always put in a "bottom feeder" bid on any book that I`m remotely interested in.

Since Comiclink has no tracking function, I have to put in a tracking bid to be able to quickly pull up books that I am interested in anyways. So I figure I might as well put in a hopeful semi-realistic low bid. If I win at that price, then I got a great deal, and if I lose, oh well, it wasn`t something I was really after anyways.

If I don`t play at all, on the assumption that a book will sell for more than I`m willing to pay, all that does is guarantee that someone else could win a book at a price I was willing to pay.