• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How come you never see............

41 posts in this topic

Now we have all seen the comic cavalcade giveaways, the one hundred years, the tomorrow the world, etc but how come we never see the two worlds finest giveaways. One is the Johnny Everyman and the other is Make way for youth. Has anybody ever seen these? Post a scan if you do.

May I suggest you start one all encompassing, vaguely titled thread to ponder and pontificate on every-single-thought you have about RARITY that hits your head rather than starting a new one each and every-single-time. The only thing rare here is the your ability to self-edit.

I do not know about the HA "Make Way ..." copy. I got a copy at least 10 years ago

and sent info into Overstreet which produced the entry in the Guide. A couple of

years ago, two other copies showed up at a LCS in ST. Cloud, MN. I got both. The

best of the 3 is in my collection. The second best went to Ian as a partial reply

for the good books he has sent me. The last copy went to Mark E -- another

friend for a price slightly above what I had paid for it. Up until this thread, I thought

that I had cornered the market.

I have been hunting for the JE for 20 years. Never saw a copy for sale, never saw

a picture. I put in an early reasonable bid on the JE, a similar bid on the CC "Twain"

book (also one I had never seen or seen for sale), and a similar bid on the

small logo version of CC "Tomorrow" (that book exists in two versions - I have the

big logo version). Within a few days, I had just been outbid by one tick on all

three books.

I then got a lowgrade frankenbook Batman 1 and no longer had any chance to

bid on the three books. Two of them sold for the bid a few bucks higher than my

bid and the third by one tick higher ($19, $5, and $9). Drat it.

Oh, well at least I drove the market.

May I suggest you start one all encompassing, vaguely titled thread to ponder and pontificate on every-single-thought you have about RARITY that hits your head rather than starting a new one each and every-single-time. The only thing rare here is the your ability to self-edit.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

I didn't even know the two books Bo_Hogg mentioned existed.

This topic is a breath of fresh air compared to the endless Action vs. Batman vs. Superman vs. Detective threads.

I have been hunting for the JE for 20 years. Never saw a copy for sale, never saw

a picture. I put in an early reasonable bid on the JE, a similar bid on the CC "Twain"

book (also one I had never seen or seen for sale), and a similar bid on the

small logo version of CC "Tomorrow" (that book exists in two versions - I have the

big logo version). Within a few days, I had just been outbid by one tick on all

three books.

You say you never saw a copy of JE for sale, but then you say you bid on a copy. Where did you see the copy you bid on?

Thanks for the info everyone. And thank you Scrooge and BOOT for your comments. I really take a beaten on collectors society for being honest and who I am. I dont start threads about superman, batman, green lantern, wonder woman and about who has the highest slabbed copy and all that other stuff that everyone wants to hear because I dont collect that stuff, if that makes me an outcast then so be it. I am going to keep doing what I do and collect the stuff that I love and for the few people that enjoy it, they can relate to my threads. But people like Near Mint and Gator who continuously put me down, I dont mind because I can take it.

But people like Near Mint and Gator who continuously put me down, I dont mind because I can take it.

When did I "put you down"? I don't even know who you are. Or have you had other board names?

I think you've got the wrong guys. Neither Gator nor I would ever put someone down for enjoying a niche area of collecting. Both of us have an appreciation for all kinds of collections.

But people like Near Mint and Gator who continuously put me down, I dont mind because I can take it.

When did I "put you down"? I don't even know who you are. Or have you had other board names?

I think you've got the wrong guys. Neither Gator nor I would ever put someone down for enjoying a niche area of collecting. Both of us have an appreciation for all kinds of collections.

exactly, I made ONE sarcastic comment one time (meant to be funny, I apologize if not taken in my context), but never INTENTIONALLY put you down... so where you get off with this "continuously" tells me you obviously don't have a clue or know me and you won't improve your self imposed "outcast" image unless you try to interact across all board topics, not just the ones you like (thumbs u

I had to go back and re-read this thread looking for the put-downs by Near-Mint and Gator. hm Dont see them. If your going to get ruffled at every response in a thread you start, I suggest growing a thicker skin. The guys here like to horse around alot and you should take it as such. By the way WTTB's (thumbs u

DRX

exactly, I made ONE sarcastic comment one time (meant to be funny, I apologize if not taken in my context), but never INTENTIONALLY put you down... so where you get off with this "continuously" tells me you obviously don't have a clue or know me and you won't improve your self imposed "outcast" image unless you try to interact across all board topics, not just the ones you like (thumbs u

What about all of those times you took my lunch money and bought copies of 'Tec 27 with it? You probably do it so often that you don't even remember :insane:

The only thing Rick is guilty of is putting down the account balance in my bank account :baiting: