• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have come to the realization

38 posts in this topic

that I am really a collector anymore. I do have a collection which I will not sell out of, but I rarely ever add books to my collection.

Part of the reason is that I have almost everything that I want, with the exception of some bigger dollar books. I can't financially justify putting a VF/NM copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box at home or any book which would be similar. All of my Silver Bronze Marvel DC runs are just about complete in high grade with the exception of these type of books.

Up until sometime last year, I did at least still buy and read some moderns, but while I do still buy just a scant few here and there, I hardly ever read any of them anymore. Marvel has just about broken my spirit for new books.

There for awhile, I was collecting original art, but the prices are just ridiculous anymore and while I will still pickup a special page if it comes available, the stuff I am looking for rarely does.

I keep thinking about collecting some GA stuff that I like, but I can't really find the motivation to get started. I would like a high grade set of the good EC stuff. I would like a high grade copy of alot of classic cover books (Bakers, Frazettas, Xelas, classic horror, etc). I would like to have alot of the truly iconic DC hero covers(mostly Supermans). Maybe even some Timelys, but I just can't get started.

I don't know if my priorities have changed that much, or if I have become jaded by having so many books, or if I am just bored.

Bummer, but be sure to let us know if this means you'll be selling those sweet Adams' Tomahawks at Heroes next week! lol

Seriously though, you must get sort of bored after having so many sweet books go through your "inventory" (as opposed to your collection) that the thrill isn't there anymore unless it's a major book. Problem is, as you point out, these days the major books are out of reach of most collectors and are being purchased more as investments than collectibles. It would be scary to see a graph of how many (minimum wage-hours) or (average white-collar american salary-weeks) it would take to buy a NM Hulk 181 or VF AF 15 in 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010, etc.,. Same goes for just about every pre-1975 key or HG book.

To point, here's what Vinny was selling the Oakland Tomahawk run for when first offered a little over 10 years ago:

Tomahawk 117 NM $20.00

Tomahawk 118 NM $20.00

Tomahawk 119 NM $20.00

Tomahawk 120 NM $20.00

Tomahawk 121 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 122 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 123 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 124 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 125 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 126 NM $15.00

Tomahawk 129 NM $15.00

If only... doh!

I can't financially justify putting a VF/NM copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box at home or any book which would be similar.

Why not? Wouldn't recommend a box at home, but why not a safety deposit box?

I can't financially justify putting a VF/NM copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box at home or any book which would be similar.

Why not? Wouldn't recommend a box at home, but why not a safety deposit box?

Everything in my collection is very high grade. It would cost a fortune to put a similar AF #15 in my collection. To begin with, I probably can't realistically afford it, and secondly, I would rather have the money than the book.

that I am really a collector anymore. I do have a collection which I will not sell out of, but I rarely ever add books to my collection.

Part of the reason is that I have almost everything that I want, with the exception of some bigger dollar books. I can't financially justify putting a VF/NM copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box at home or any book which would be similar. All of my Silver Bronze Marvel DC runs are just about complete in high grade with the exception of these type of books.

Up until sometime last year, I did at least still buy and read some moderns, but while I do still buy just a scant few here and there, I hardly ever read any of them anymore. Marvel has just about broken my spirit for new books.

There for awhile, I was collecting original art, but the prices are just ridiculous anymore and while I will still pickup a special page if it comes available, the stuff I am looking for rarely does.

I keep thinking about collecting some GA stuff that I like, but I can't really find the motivation to get started. I would like a high grade set of the good EC stuff. I would like a high grade copy of alot of classic cover books (Bakers, Frazettas, Xelas, classic horror, etc). I would like to have alot of the truly iconic DC hero covers(mostly Supermans). Maybe even some Timelys, but I just can't get started.

I don't know if my priorities have changed that much, or if I have become jaded by having so many books, or if I am just bored.

Turn in your membership card and decoder ring. Look at the shiny light and the secret handshake will be wiped from your memory.

Once you have what you want no need to buy something you don't (thumbs u

I wish I was running out of things I want, but I think I am going to severely focus my spending starting this year and pretty much work on one or two runs at a time. I'll probably suspend pretty much all impulse purchases of stuff I never read before but want because it looks like it might be cool.

How about tryin cgc ss stuff or sketch covers to make you happy? or you can split all your lovely hulks between green and joeypost , kinda like becoming the comicbook tooth fairy and give away books to make you have a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart. Just a thought :shrug:

If I were you Dale, I wouldn't let OA prices discourage me. My strategy for OA is to buy 1-2 really nice pieces per year, and leave it at that. In only buying seldom pieces, it is easier to justify spending the big money to get nice ones.

How about tryin cgc ss stuff or sketch covers to make you happy? or you can split all your lovely hulks between green and joeypost , kinda like becoming the comicbook tooth fairy and give away books to make you have a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart. Just a thought :shrug:

I hate signature series stuff. Defaces the pretty books. Sketch covers.....meh, the people I would want have very long lines and I can't do that at conventions.

I hate signature series stuff. Defaces the pretty books. Sketch covers.....meh, the people I would want have very long lines and I can't do that at conventions.

There are some that would do it for you (thumbs u

Move on to something besides comic books. Surely you have other interests. Play more golf.

I am not bored with life. I have 2 young kids, I do play golf, involved in alot of stuff that I enjoy. And I still like comics. I just can't really find any comics that I want to buy just for the enjoyment of it anymore.

I'm in the same boat...again. Partially because I've lost interest, partially because I've lost the time to devote to keeping things in order, partially because of my recent $4/hour pay cut and partially becasue I've begun to wonder "what am I supposed to do with this stuff?"

I got this way a few years ago, about the time I became active on the boards. I found the thrill of Signature Series books and have managed to maintain an interest for another few years. But now I've gotten most of the big names I wanted to sign a book, sketches are difficult to obtain without going to a show personally, and I don't have the friggin' money to get sketches if I did go to shows. There are some fantastic opportunities on the boards, either in sales or in making arrangements with creators, but lately, I've cooled on those as well. I'm just not as interested as I used to be.

Is there a medication for this?

Move on to something besides comic books. Surely you have other interests. Play more golf.

I am not bored with life. I have 2 young kids, I do play golf, involved in alot of stuff that I enjoy. And I still like comics. I just can't really find any comics that I want to buy just for the enjoyment of it anymore.

I often wondered if dealing in comic books full time (vintage, not new), would sour me to collecting? at some point, if you get to see everything (via cons, sales, etc), what is left?... here's hoping some bug bites you soon :wishluck:

If I were you Dale, I wouldn't let OA prices discourage me. My strategy for OA is to buy 1-2 really nice pieces per year, and leave it at that. In only buying seldom pieces, it is easier to justify spending the big money to get nice ones.

Yeah, that seems like a decent idea, but buying 1 - 2 pieces a year hardly seems like collecting. I would love a really nice Adams Batman, Green Lantern, and would like a Superboy cover. I would love to have some nice Starlin stuff, particularly Warlock pages. I would like to have Gil Kane Spider-man stuff, particularly from AS #88 - 123 (mostly where inked by Romita). A few other things ( Alex Ross, Wrightson, etc), but I hardly ever see any of it, and if I do, it is someone whose prices are insane.

How about actually reading comics? Isn't that why we all got hooked into this to begin with?

What you're saying is very close to my feeling too. However, once I started reading old comics again I remembered just how much I liked them. Go back and find something you liked earlier in life, read it, look for similar things then buy them. Once you get your mind away from the "gotta have a high grade copy of everything" thinking it becomes much more enjoyable.

Recently I've been reading a lot of Bronze Age horror/sci-fi reprints. They totally suck but I totally love them too. And I don't care that they are not 9.4s... 6.0, 7.0, that's just fine by me.