• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are less books being slabbed?

55 posts in this topic

At some point though won't most of the ;slabbable' (not a work I know) books from the silver/golden age be already slabbed? This isn't the 80's where you could go to a garage sale and get a good book. Comics have streamed into the consciousness of the general populous.

I wait for the onslaught of bronze age books but, at least the ones I seem to check, rarely happens. A wonder woman #178 sells for $1000 or more in 9.6 but there hasn't been a new one in a while. If these types of books were laying around wouldn't dealers have found them/flipped them by now?

Sure there are "lots" of copies in collections that won't hit the market until the owners sell. Remember slabbing is expensive so why do it until you are ready to sell.

Bruce

I can only speak for myself, but this year I've been slabbing more books than ever before :shrug:

Cool :thumbsup: I can only speak for myself, but I've cracked more this year than ever before - about 55-60. :cool:

At some point though won't most of the ;slabbable' (not a work I know) books from the silver/golden age be already slabbed? This isn't the 80's where you could go to a garage sale and get a good book. Comics have streamed into the consciousness of the general populous.

I wait for the onslaught of bronze age books but, at least the ones I seem to check, rarely happens. A wonder woman #178 sells for $1000 or more in 9.6 but there hasn't been a new one in a while. If these types of books were laying around wouldn't dealers have found them/flipped them by now?

Sure there are "lots" of copies in collections that won't hit the market until the owners sell. Remember slabbing is expensive so why do it until you are ready to sell.

Bruce

I have never slabbed a book (though I have/do own some slabs). My guess is that I have about 750-1,000 (out of close to 20,000) where the value added to the book by slabbing would exceed the cost of slabbing and another 500-750 where a press would make them worth slabbing. But the question is, how much does it need to exceed to be worthwhile? there's no point in laying out that much dough to make another $3-$8 a book. If I could be certain to clear an extra $10 I guess it might be worthwhile.

Problem for me is slabbing 8 not terribly expensive books will cost me what, $200? i'd rather spend the money on more comics!

I have a few early SA Marvels in VF type shape that will get slabbed when I get around to selling them as I probably need to do so for buyers to be comfortable about resto, but that could be a long time. There's so much else in that mess I can get to first.

So, there you go, one reason that all those books out there that are worth slabbing aren't getting slabbed anytime soon. i suspect many collectors are like me. if it was cheaper, i'd reconsider, but if it was cheaper the books would be more plentifull and would be fetching lower prices.

I'm sure it hasn't helped CGCs recent business that most 1975-79 comics aren't worth slabbing on anything but the Modern tier, and that prices for late SA and BA comics have fallen alot, again making alot of books not worth slabbing.

Ker-rect! (thumbs u

Bruce

I have never slabbed a book (though I have/do own some slabs). My guess is that I have about 750-1,000 (out of close to 20,000) where the value added to the book by slabbing would exceed the cost of slabbing and another 500-750 where a press would make them worth slabbing. But the question is, how much does it need to exceed to be worthwhile? there's no point in laying out that much dough to make another $3-$8 a book. If I could be certain to clear an extra $10 I guess it might be worthwhile.Problem for me is slabbing 8 not terribly expensive books will cost me what, $200? i'd rather spend the money on more comics!

I have a few early SA Marvels in VF type shape that will get slabbed when I get around to selling them as I probably need to do so for buyers to be comfortable about resto, but that could be a long time. There's so much else in that mess I can get to first.

So, there you go, one reason that all those books out there that are worth slabbing aren't getting slabbed anytime soon. i suspect many collectors are like me. if it was cheaper, i'd reconsider, but if it was cheaper the books would be more plentifull and would be fetching lower prices.

I would have to get an extra $25, you got to be figure in auction fees and shipping costs, at $10 you might be breaking even unless you skip the Ebay/other online venues.

I've never had anything CGC'd, but I'm going to have them busy in the near future. I like 99% of my keepers as they are, the goal was VFNM or better. CGC is helpful to find any restorations you didn't catch, and to verify what various defects are worth. I need to CGC a bunch of extras just to be able to sell them fairly. The hobby is much much easier than it used to be, let's be happy for that. Regards,

no.

well. that was uneventful.

I was thinking that Sean was going to swoop in with a "When they finally make it illegal to be a hippie ding dong" comment or something like that.

Naah, he'd have put something funny.

lol

I have only slabbed my 3 free ones this year.

Last year I probably slabbed around 40 books.

For me it is a combination of the economy and CGC changing the years on the tiers.

To get me to send in more books CGC will need to offer some good incentives every once in awhile. I need specials the benefit the little guy. I can't afford to send in 50 to 100 books at a time to get discounts.

Bruce

I do agree with that point I just find it odd that of all these collections that exist there have only been a handful in the last few years that have slabbed.

Bruce

I do agree with that point I just find it odd that of all these collections that exist there have only been a handful in the last few years that have slabbed.

Don't forget the books have to either go to a dealer who slabs or be picked up by a collector/flipper who slabs. So this also would cut down on the chances of books being submitted even if they do hit the market.

Bruce

Don't forget the books have to either go to a dealer who slabs or be picked up by a collector/flipper who slabs. So this also would cut down on the chances of books being submitted even if they do hit the market.

This all makes sense I guess I just have a hard time getting over the idea that there are 'many' unslabbed high grade books out there but people have decided to just hang on to them. That there are people hoarding books like WW #178 or there are people with high grade collections that there are not more people that have these high grade books and with limited emotional attachment to them. I have no idea how many of these high grade bronze books (I keep using WW #178 as an example because I want one) are sitting out there but lets say there are maybe 100? That isn't a giant number and it seems reasonable from what people are saying. That means only 5% or so wanted to sell the book by slabbing it? Again I am not saying you are wrong it just seems odd to me.

I've been submitting more than ever since i've joined the boards. Before i just had to wait for the NYCCON for sigs. Now with all the people taking submissions to other events, I'm happier than a kid in a candy store! :grin:

I have only slabbed my 3 free ones this year.

Last year I probably slabbed around 40 books.

For me it is a combination of the economy and CGC changing the years on the tiers.

To get me to send in more books CGC will need to offer some good incentives every once in awhile. I need specials the benefit the little guy. I can't afford to send in 50 to 100 books at a time to get discounts.

Well Said Leon! (thumbs u

Bruce

This all makes sense I guess I just have a hard time getting over the idea that there are 'many' unslabbed high grade books out there but people have decided to just hang on to them. That there are people hoarding books like WW #178 or there are people with high grade collections that there are not more people that have these high grade books and with limited emotional attachment to them. I have no idea how many of these high grade bronze books (I keep using WW #178 as an example because I want one) are sitting out there but lets say there are maybe 100? That isn't a giant number and it seems reasonable from what people are saying. That means only 5% or so wanted to sell the book by slabbing it? Again I am not saying you are wrong it just seems odd to me.

I would guess that most people collect to collect, and not to sell. I just sell duplicates. Keepers get put in the collection, and I often deslab books that I keep. I'm guessing there are 100s (as in 1000+) WW 178s in HG out there raw.

Bruce

I would guess that most people collect to collect, and not to sell. I just sell duplicates. Keepers get put in the collection, and I often deslab books that I keep. I'm guessing there are 100s (as in 1000+) WW 178s in HG out there raw.

(thumbs u

I think a mistake we keep making here is that this board is representative of the comic collecting community.

It isn't. Not by a long shot.

The amount of dealers, flippers, pressers, weekend warriors and folk with limited attention spans is ing huge compared to the general population. There is also so much opportuntity to buy, sell and trade that books do more mileage than a long-haul BA pilot.

Additionally, the majority of the collecting populace doesn't get CGC, doesn't want to use CGC and won't buy CGC. There remains hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of unslabbed high grade raw collections and they are generally in the hands of the 40-60 year olds. Right now, they're not going anywhere, as this age group is generally financially secure.

A ways down the road, who knows? (shrug)

no.

I was thinking that Sean was going to swoop in with a "When they finally make it illegal to be a hippie ding dong" comment or something like that.

Because the market for slabbed books is so incredibly tiny, even compared to people who collect comics, CGC's price raise last year did, I imagine, a fair number to their submission figures, especially for 1975-1979 books. I have 100+ of these books that I never got around to subbing, and now will not because they're not worth the double price now being charged.

Also, when they did away with the 20% discount for everyone back in '07 or so, that had a dampening effect as well.

Yes, I know CGC "has to make a profit."

Combine that with the plummeting prices for everything post-1975 except the mere fraction of 9.9 and 10 books (and even, in some cases, those as well), and yes, I'd say that slabbing is down tremendously. When only 25 people want a 9.8 copy of a book with 76 copies on the census in that grade, you know what happens. And forget anything less than 9.8.

Back in 2007, it made sense to slab a, say, Magnus Robot Fighter #4 in 9.8. Now...not so much. Why would anyone spend $20 or more to slab a copy...only to sell it for $12?

Of course, if the general public gets wind that CGC graded books are worth having, the census figures for just about everything slabbed will look like drops in the bucket compared to demand. What, only 50 people can own a Harby #1 9.8? Well, heck, I'll take 5 at $2,000 each, please!

no.

Because the market for slabbed books is so incredibly tiny, even compared to people who collect comics, CGC's price raise last year did, I imagine, a fair number to their submission figures, especially for 1975-1979 books. I have 100+ of these books that I never got around to subbing, and now will not because they're not worth the double price now being charged.

Also, when they did away with the 20% discount for everyone back in '07 or so, that had a dampening effect as well.

Yes, I know CGC "has to make a profit."

Combine that with the plummeting prices for everything post-1975 except the mere fraction of 9.9 and 10 books (and even, in some cases, those as well), and yes, I'd say that slabbing is down tremendously. When only 25 people want a 9.8 copy of a book with 76 copies on the census in that grade, you know what happens. And forget anything less than 9.8.

Back in 2007, it made sense to slab a, say, Magnus Robot Fighter #4 in 9.8. Now...not so much. Why would anyone spend $20 or more to slab a copy...only to sell it for $12?

Of course, if the general public gets wind that CGC graded books are worth having, the census figures for just about everything slabbed will look like drops in the bucket compared to demand. What, only 50 people can own a Harby #1 9.8? Well, heck, I'll take 5 at $2,000 each, please!

That could be the key,right now they are just finding out Action 1 is worth a million dollars,once they get wind that Amazing Spider-man #57 CGC 9.8 and similar books go for thousands then the high grade CGC books will go up in value even more. The best bet though is always the ones that mainstream has heard about, Spider-man,X-men,Superman,Batman etc...