• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have readers copies for all your slabbed comics?

17 posts in this topic

Question.

Do most collectors here have reader copies of almost every comic you have slabbed?

Now I dont mean, books you intend to sell, or flip.

But in your personal collection, how many graded comics do you have, that also have an accessible reader copy close by.

I dont mean reprints, collected editions either, but a real same year, same run reader copy of the slabbed comic itself.

Because I am a collector and a fan of comics.

I like to be able to read the adds, opening credits on the splash page, let alone just feel the comic in my hands.( and the smell too)

My favorite thing to do is sit down with a few choice slabbed comics, get out their same issue reader companions and flip through the comic while I gaze at its imprisoned slabbed 9.2 counterpart.

To me this adds tremendous amounts of pleasure to my collectiing as I love comics, and even though we all read most of these years ago, I cant get my fill, and if all I owned were CGC slabbed comics my life would feel sterile and empty.

I need to read a real comic.

Makes me feel like I am holding a piece of history and in someway transported back to that era.

Perhaps its only me, but I feel it is important to have doubles of almost every slabbed comic you have , so when a kid asks you" whats that comic about?" you can say," well thats in a CGC container you cant touch it, but here, read this one, but be careful with it, this one is just as old as that one in the slab."

And hopefully a new collector is kindled.....

Zeman

I have a few slabbed books that I have readers of. But not all. I know what you mean about setting the two next to eachother and compairing them. One in VG-F, and the other VF/NM or better. So cool to see the same book look so different.

I have a few slabbed books that I have readers of. But not all. I know what you mean about setting the two next to each other and comparing them. One in VG-F, and the other VF/NM or better. So cool to see the same book look so different.

That's OK.....if you really get the urge, you can break the slab..... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

Nope. I have around 60 slabbed and maybe 5 readers that are the same issues in the slabs. I collect Comics more for the art so I can see the art just fine through the plastic. I used to be a reader, but I really don't read comics anymore, just look at them foreheadslap.gif

I just started the process of buying reader copies of some of the more obscure books that I got off E-bay. It's kind of fun to go looking for some of them. The Masterworks and Essentials only cover so many titles.

For example; a friend of mine bought me this copy as a gift.

phantom22bx.jpg

I thought the cover looked great, so I wanted to get a nice NM slabbed copy, which none of the LCS had. So E-bay came through with this copy.

phantom22x.jpg