• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller returns to the '300' battlefield with 'Xerxes'

42 posts in this topic

I won't pass judgement til its out, but when you look at his most recent comic book work, Batman and Robin and The Dark Night Strikes Back, you have to wonder. Batman and Robin was so bad that I had to read it. Like a drug habit bad. Train wreck bad.

Hmm, haven't read those--when did he write those?

It wouldn't surprise me if his reach currently exceeds his grasp--I was afraid that could happen after I heard Rodriguez had to help him so much with directing his segment of Sin City, and particularly concerned when he so quickly got The Spirit after Sin City came out. I know he's always wanted to do screenplays and directing, many writers do, but making the jump isn't easy--as he's proven to the world. :blush: Hopefully he'll stick to smaller films, at least for a while, or even better, just stick to writing.

I owned almost 400 straight issues of X-men and there was a sequel every few issues.

Wow, you really need a dictionary (sequel vs. series). doh!

A series is nothing more than a long line of sequels put together in linear fashion. Flash back, flash forward or just carry on the story line. What's the difference? If it's well written it doesn't matter where in the time line it appears.

Speaking of timelines...anyone know where I can find a graph of all Marvel timelines?

Here.

ButterflyEffect.png

Think the poster was referring to the Dark Knight Strikes Again (DK2) and "All Star Batman & Robin" (the book Miller is doing with Jim Lee; did that ever get finished or is it still ongoing).

Frank Miller is a disaster. I have less than zero interest in this or any other project, film or comic-related that he might produce.

Unfortunately, I have to concur. Creatively he peaked around 25 years ago, and the drop off in quality has been severe.

I won't pass judgement til its out, but when you look at his most recent comic book work, Batman and Robin and The Dark Night Strikes Back, you have to wonder. Batman and Robin was so bad that I had to read it. Like a drug habit bad. Train wreck bad.

I'm selling my set of ASB&R if you're interested in reading them.

Think the poster was referring to the Dark Knight Strikes Again (DK2) and "All Star Batman & Robin" (the book Miller is doing with Jim Lee; did that ever get finished or is it still ongoing).

This will help.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25536

A series is nothing more than a long line of sequels put together in linear fashion.

:tonofbricks::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

I guess by that bizarre illogic, even single frame of a movie or panel of a comic is by virtue a sequel of the one that proceeded it. doh!

A series is nothing more than a long line of sequels put together in linear fashion.

:tonofbricks::tonofbricks::tonofbricks:

I guess by that bizarre illogic, even single frame of a movie or panel of a comic is by virtue a sequel of the one that proceeded it. doh!

Not really. Sequels are story arcs. Panels make up story arcs.

:makepoint:

Geez. How quickly people are willing to turn on someone who's done more for modern comics than anyone in the business.

I think Alan Moore might have something to say about that.

Not really. Sequels are story arcs. Panels make up story arcs.

As do issues in a series.. :makepoint:

Yup, and I see a story arc no different than a sequel. Some are terrific (Days Of Future Past) and some are not.

All depends on how well it's written, not when it is introduced.

Anybody know when "Xerxes" is supposed to come out? The article just mentions he released some of the art from the book this week, but I didn't see it say when the intended release is.

Geez. How quickly people are willing to turn on someone who's done more for modern comics than anyone in the business.

I think Alan Moore might have something to say about that.

And he'd have a right to. Because he's done some of the most important work of the Modern Age of comics.

And when I say Modern, I'm including the Copper Age.