• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sales threads Rule #12, or lets turn lemons into lemonade

184 posts in this topic

I should also mention that ignoring board rules and acting poorly when called on it will put a seller on my do not buy from list. I couldn't care less how nice the books are.

Added one today.

I think we all know the thread being debated here. I think it's good the discussion

about the thread bumping has left the thread itself. Many high profile Board members defended the OP of the 'problem' thread. In fact, I believe inspired by his supporters, the OP basically told another member to F*** off. Very disappointing.

You mean the thread with the water damaged book?

I should also mention that ignoring board rules and acting poorly when called on it will put a seller on my do not buy from list. I couldn't care less how nice the books are.

Added one today.

I think we all know the thread being debated here. I think it's good the discussion

about the thread bumping has left the thread itself. Many high profile Board members defended the OP of the 'problem' thread. In fact, I believe inspired by his supporters, the OP basically told another member to F*** off. Very disappointing.

I repeat, I think we all know the thread being debated here.

Added one today.

You would be wrong. I was away all weekend.

The problem with post counting is time. Some people may be retired and have a lot of free time to post all day. Others may work full time, have 2 jobs, or have limited time to posts (new baby). I buy and sell when I can and don't have that many posts.

The problem with post counting is time. Some people may be retired and have a lot of free time to post all day. Others may work full time, have 2 jobs, or have limited time to posts (new baby). I buy and sell when I can and don't have that many posts.
Also, the people who come here strictly to sell will react by post whoring in threads just to get the count up to sell. I say let them sell and enforce the rules on them, those of us who buy from a stranger take the risks that go along with it.

Added one today.

negative on that

I repeat negative on that

Yep, always nice to see new board members trying their best to be a positive part of this community.

All, as username spillred just said above, 26 new postings and no new books. You can thank the other stupid users who were trying to hurt my thread/reputation.

As a courtesy and from spillred's perspective as I would feel the same way, I am going to post a few books here shortly.

Let me remind those who wish to antagonize me and/or my thread, keep everything to yourself, did i do anything to your threads?!?! THANK YOU

SHUT THE F*** UP

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I suppose I've been spurred on to actually write something because of recent events.

I've noticed lately that there are a few posters who seem to think it's a great idea to keep their sales on the first page whether or not they are adding books.

Many of those posters, don't contribute to the forum other than to sell books. Everyone of course feels they are special.

I'm not selling anything right now, and I don't sell very often, so it's not impacting me that way, but I'm finding it increasingly disconcerting as a shopper, so I can only imagine how it must annoy posters who have threads up, who are trying to play the game by the rules.

I know it's hard for the mods to lock a thread after the 3 bumps specified in rule 12, but personally, I would like to see it enforced more stringently for those who just come here to push their wares.

I know many others have mentioned having certain criteria before being allowed to sell, and some have suggested post counts. I'm not sure that would be constructive, but I have been thinking of some kind of service requirement.

You earn the privilege to sell by contributing in some way to the community.

We've done such nice things for people in this forum and most have been random acts of kindness.

I thought perhaps we could have a community service section of some sort where you can post before selling. I'm not sure exactly how it could work, but I was thinking sharing knowledge (and not just by previewing the collection you are selling) or contributing something for Shin's VCC auctions, or contributions to a charity. It would also be a place we could keep all the board charity threads.

This might also help get rid of a few of the new additions to the probation list if you had to contribute some kind of service.

I know we don't want to create more work for the mods, they work hard enough...I had thought about an approval stamp for those who do contribute, or a point system.

I just think it would be nice to some way to incorporate good things our community does with the selling forum, so we don't wind up being sales pitch central.

I'm rambling;) but I'd love to hear some thoughts, comments, suggestions ...

:applause::hi:

Added one today.

No, not your thread . . . the other Krappy thread. :acclaim:

Well, there are definitely pros and cons to this.

Pros:

- Possibly allowing others a chance to sell /advertise their books.

- Keeps new sales thread viewable on main page.

Cons:

- More thread crapping.

- Creates more tension between people.

How are you going to police this in different scenarios?

a. What about "friendly" bumps? ie: someone says "great books Jeff.. wish I could have been here for this, but was on vacation."

b. When are sellers allowed to bump?

- Rules should be made to when / how a bump can be justified (such as either new discount, new books added, update on what's left (but this needs to be done within a specific time frame) and not just doing a "Sunday morning bump".

Isn't bumping a sales thread just the same as friends who chit-chatter on their thread considered "bumping"? Most of these chit-chatter has nothing to do with the sales thread either.

I'm not saying I'm perfect either and I know I'm guilty of some of this as well, but isn't that what the "General" section is for?

There are going to be all sorts of scenarios in which you will have to "police", but how much of it can you police before it all comes tumbling down?

Maybe I'm just rambling off as well and by no means is this to offend anyone. I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Brian, you know I love you, mate, but this...

I understand the sentiments behind why people are against too much bumping, but in this case, i think the quality of the material warrants it.

...is just plain wrong.

This falls into the 'he can rape old grannies so long as he's got sweeeeeeeet books to sell' category. It would never happen, because people are ultimately too self-serving, but I'd love for judgements to be handed out with absolutely no regard for how badly people need sellers' books.

See also Schmell, Douglas. meh

Post count or length of time a person has been a boardie are the only 2 workable criteria for vetting sellers on the boards. Neither is perfect but either would make it harder for dishonest sellers or sellers uninterested in the community aspect of the boards to sell here.

I have bought some wonderful books from sellers that had low post counts or were new and the opposite doesn't guarantee a satisfactory transaction.

it's perfectly feasible with UBB board code to make it impossible for new members to even see the "Marketplace" forum or make it so that they can see it but not post in it (which I would prefer as this way they get to see how to properly set up and handle a sales thread).

It could be set up that new members get to see the "hidden" boards or are able to post in it after a said period of time or amount of posts on the other boards.

Added one today.

All, as username spillred just said above, 26 new postings and no new books. You can thank the other stupid users who were trying to hurt my thread/reputation.

As a courtesy and from spillred's perspective as I would feel the same way, I am going to post a few books here shortly.

Let me remind those who wish to antagonize me and/or my thread, keep everything to yourself, did i do anything to your threads?!?! THANK YOU

SHUT THE F*** UP

How to win friends and influence people. doh!

i am new to the boards. i have posted in other areas and have sold here and bought here in my short time here. i am not only a board member but a cgc account holder as well. i also made a purchase in the last charity auction. i dont understand why there should be a problem with anyone selling. i have told a couple people about the boards and told them it is an outlet to sell. i really thought no one would mind if they jump in and start selling nice books at good prices. as far as post counts. i dont see how that could mean anything. you could post a hundred times an hour if you wanted to. if there are rules against bumping sales then lock the thread. if you dont like what the person is selling. dont think it is a good price. dont trust them because they are new. then dont buy from them. matter of fact no reason to even go into the thread. i have had people go into my threads and make comments they could have kept to themselves. i have seen other comments made in others sales threads that were bad. since i have been here i have seen plenty of sales threads that i thought were over priced. i have seen them that the books didnt look as described. i could have gone in and made smart remarks. why? to be the class clown? to try and make a cool remark at someone's expense? it takes a jerk to do that. if you dont like it or if you have a smart remark just dont say anything. if you want to be funny go to open mic night at funny bones. i am thankful to anyone who has bought from me. i am more thankful for the good deals i have gotten here and the very nice people i have met here. when i joined it was with full intentions of being able to talk comic books with people that love comic books just like i do. the buying and selling is just a nice added bonus to the boards. i have bought a lot more then i have sold. a big thank you to anyone who is kind enough to take the time to list books here for sale. this is a great place with great people from what i have seen. it would be a shame for someone to ruin that. if something isnt broken then leave it alone.

Capital letters and paragraphs, please? :foryou:

You will find that some people simply won't read what you've written if it's this sort of 'stream of consciousness' stuff. :foryou:

Can you please define "community service" for those of us on the short bus. (:

That could be determined by a poll, I suppose. The things I thought of were contributing comic related items for charity. Sharing knowledge, Bidding in a charity auction. Donating time to an offline charity and writing about it.

I was thinking of some kind of ongoing charity thread in honor of Nik, or something with profits going to a children's cause, or the Heroes fund, there are so many possibilities.

If I knew the answers, I would have written a manual;) It would have to be a group project (and I love the shortbus thread;)

Psst....I can tell from your post above that you like your tea black. :gossip:

I like my tea with lemon and honey...if that is black...yes:) :foryou:

Actually, the "f" word post in that thread inspired me to start this thread, but to be perfectly fair, we've had a number of other people starting many threads sales, long threads who are only here for that forum. A few of them even post occasionally somewhere else, but it's pretty obvious they are just throwaway posts.

Post counts over a certain time, would work better than just plain post counts, it might stop a gremlin fest, but but it wouldn't serve the same purpose as community service, I was truly trying to add something postive...and I don't expect to work out a solution immediately. We have a ton of very smart people here, I thought it would be nice to redirect some energy in a positive direction:)

Lots of good posts here...a friend told me that he thought it would be difficult because people who were here before already probably contributed somehow, and some people who have been here for a while are already jaded.. I suppose those people could be grandfathered in.

i am new to the boards. i have posted in other areas and have sold here and bought here in my short time here. i am not only a board member but a cgc account holder as well. i also made a purchase in the last charity auction. i dont understand why there should be a problem with anyone selling. i have told a couple people about the boards and told them it is an outlet to sell. i really thought no one would mind if they jump in and start selling nice books at good prices. as far as post counts. i dont see how that could mean anything. you could post a hundred times an hour if you wanted to. if there are rules against bumping sales then lock the thread. if you dont like what the person is selling. dont think it is a good price. dont trust them because they are new. then dont buy from them. matter of fact no reason to even go into the thread. i have had people go into my threads and make comments they could have kept to themselves. i have seen other comments made in others sales threads that were bad. since i have been here i have seen plenty of sales threads that i thought were over priced. i have seen them that the books didnt look as described. i could have gone in and made smart remarks. why? to be the class clown? to try and make a cool remark at someone's expense? it takes a jerk to do that. if you dont like it or if you have a smart remark just dont say anything. if you want to be funny go to open mic night at funny bones. i am thankful to anyone who has bought from me. i am more thankful for the good deals i have gotten here and the very nice people i have met here. when i joined it was with full intentions of being able to talk comic books with people that love comic books just like i do. the buying and selling is just a nice added bonus to the boards. i have bought a lot more then i have sold. a big thank you to anyone who is kind enough to take the time to list books here for sale. this is a great place with great people from what i have seen. it would be a shame for someone to ruin that. if something isnt broken then leave it alone.

But you DO participate :foryou: and WTTBs.