• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Approved Seller' Status

379 posts in this topic

Charging sellers $25 for the right to sell here and using the $$ to "fix" bad deals is an insane idea. Wouldn't be hard to abuse the system and the fund could be wiped out by one bad transaction and we would be back to square one.

Creating a committee to create a list of prefered sellers is an awful, awful idea. Who has the right to decide who is on the committee? (You do, as explain twenty times in this very thread) Who has the right to decide who is a favoured seller and more importantly, who is not? (The committee do, as elected by you.) What criteria would the committee use to create the list? (To be determined by debate, as explained earlier in this thread.) How does a new or un-favoured seller get on the list? (By asking to be included and having his/her 'credentials' considered by the committee.)

It's all well and good to have issues with proposals, and very healthy to debate them, but to fire off with all four cylinders when the questions have already been answered and the answers were not what you thought... meh

:baiting:

I think the spirit of Nick's post and his suggestions have significant merit, but there are also a few suggestions here that can act as the enabler without the need to require a committee or approval process.

I think the answer is found somewhere in the intended design for the boards - i.e. our voice/opinion as an organic feedback mechanism.

We have a kudos thread and with a little tinkering around, you could have something similar to this appearing in the persons sales thread:

Past transaction kudos for: comicwiz (600 references)

Obviously, the search can be a little overly-sensitive and picks up irrelevant and duplicate posts. However IMHO this is a decent starting point.

Another thing I've tried to do is include a link to my eBay feedback in my signature. This might not be functional for members that turn off sigs, but I think that is an effective way to translate ones transaction history into a working model for a members reputation history. For those who have sigs turned off, here is how it looks:

ebay_sm.jpgeBay Feedback

Where things get tricky is when you attempt to tease out membership merit. Does merit derive exclusively from sales thread participation, or should it include community involvement, years as a member, involvement in the hobby, etc. I think any good reputation system needs to incorporate all these elements, but it isn't always easy to package it in an ID format that you can carry around with you everywhere like a drivers license.

I believe where things can get unnecessarily tedious is the politics. An example would be when I tried to introduce an auction widget in the sales thread. I communicated with Arch prior to launching it, and his response was let's try it out, but no promise it can stay. Even with the "trial offer" approval, the first auctions met PM's and posts of discontent.

Ultimately, the boards intent is to foster a community of people with like-minded interests, and in order for the community to thrive, at the core is a self-regulating human response which will always be required. While it can be moderated, trying to categorize and cram this notion into more structured and confining ways won't be easy, nor is it a given that it will it be well-received, even if it's meant to safeguard the wider interests of this community of collectors.

I've done a few auctions here for single books at a time...the one potential problem I felt was since there was I believe in all occasions about a 48-hour period, I felt much more urge to bump the thread lest it fall off the front page... 2c

I think the spirit of Nick's post and his suggestions have significant merit, but there are also a few suggestions here that can act as the enabler without the need to require a committee or approval process.

I think the answer is found somewhere in the intended design for the boards - i.e. our voice/opinion as an organic feedback mechanism.

We have a kudos thread and with a little tinkering around, you could have something similar to this appearing in the persons sales thread:

Past transaction kudos for: comicwiz (600 references)

Obviously, the search can be a little overly-sensitive and picks up irrelevant and duplicate posts. However IMHO this is a decent starting point.

Another thing I've tried to do is include a link to my eBay feedback in my signature. This might not be functional for members that turn off sigs, but I think that is an effective way to translate ones transaction history into a working model for a members reputation history. For those who have sigs turned off, here is how it looks:

ebay_sm.jpgeBay Feedback

Where things get tricky is when you attempt to tease out membership merit. Does merit derive exclusively from sales thread participation, or should it include community involvement, years as a member, involvement in the hobby, etc. I think any good reputation system needs to incorporate all these elements, but it isn't always easy to package it in an ID format that you can carry around with you everywhere like a drivers license.

I believe where things can get unnecessarily tedious is the politics. An example would be when I tried to introduce an auction widget in the sales thread. I communicated with Arch prior to launching it, and his response was let's try it out, but no promise it can stay. Even with the "trial offer" approval, the first auctions met PM's and posts of discontent.

Ultimately, the boards intent is to foster a community of people with like-minded interests, and in order for the community to thrive, at the core is a self-regulating human response which will always be required. While it can be moderated, trying to categorize and cram this notion into more structured and confining ways won't be easy, nor is it a given that it will it be well-received, even if it's meant to safeguard the wider interests of this community of collectors.

I've done a few auctions here for single books at a time...the one potential problem I felt was since there was I believe in all occasions about a 48-hour period, I felt much more urge to bump the thread lest it fall off the front page... 2c

The auction widget I put together works independently of the board software, has a countdown timer, a thumbnail/link to a larger scan, misc. shipping/auction details, and the bidding happens within the widget, in a self-contained software environment. Because of this, bidding doesn't entail a post be made, and self-bumping only happens once as an advisory in the final hours of the auction. Here's a snapshot of a concluded auction:

98961.jpg

Charging sellers $25 for the right to sell here and using the $$ to "fix" bad deals is an insane idea.

I'm glad you said it...if I said it, I'd get accused of being an internet bully and trying to intimidate people again....

:whistle:

Charging sellers $25 for the right to sell here and using the $$ to "fix" bad deals is an insane idea. Wouldn't be hard to abuse the system and the fund could be wiped out by one bad transaction and we would be back to square one.

Creating a committee to create a list of prefered sellers is an awful, awful idea. Who has the right to decide who is on the committee? (You do, as explain twenty times in this very thread) Who has the right to decide who is a favoured seller and more importantly, who is not? (The committee do, as elected by you.) What criteria would the committee use to create the list? (To be determined by debate, as explained earlier in this thread.) How does a new or un-favoured seller get on the list? (By asking to be included and having his/her 'credentials' considered by the committee.)

It's all well and good to have issues with proposals, and very healthy to debate them, but to fire off with all four cylinders when the questions have already been answered and the answers were not what you thought... meh

:baiting:

Sir Telepath, I only have 2 cylinders.

I love you but for the first time I must disagree with you. I hope you prove me wrong as anything that makes selling safer is important.

haahaaaahaaaa......gimme a break tight wads. you guys didnt even give me a chance 2 weeks ago when i joined. so i've decided to be the one you love to HATE!

Beyotch, please.

You have to get to the BACK of that line...

Not rocket science here, we as sellers with previous ebay success could also get a potential buyer to email us on our ebay account to verify we are who we are if concern of consistency with sales deals exists, however I don't disagree with any proposed ideas here however think there's alot to be worked out in the grey areas. I am in support of some sort of a back up fund for any one that actually did get ripped off in any way by shady sellers though.

Rich

I am in support of some sort of a back up fund for any one that actually did get ripped off in any way by shady sellers though.

Rich

Why should I and other legit sellers be responsible if someone buys books from a flake and gets hosed? Let the buyers do their own due diligence. If you are not sure about a seller, ask for references and if he has done deals with other members. Don't spend big money on an unknown sellers goods.

Doesn't paypal offer a level of security for non-EBay transactions?