• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

Cross some fingers boys and girls I just sent in a Vanguard Illustrated # 2, a Crossfire # 12, an Alien Worlds # 4, a DNAgents # 24, and a Jonny Quest #5 to get graded along with a bunch of other stuff. I'm really hoping these come out nice to kick off my Dave Stevens slabs :thumbsup:

Thanks! Hopefully by the end of May I will let everyone know how they came back. :thumbsup:

Did you "fast track" the books thru CGC?

Sometimes I think "fast track" just means you'll get it only 1 week late instead of 2 weeks late. :/

No, but end of May was going to be one week late. If it's two weeks late they might get back after I get back from Heroes and that would mean I won't have anything to trade with anyone and I would be sad :(

So let's do the math and see how long it takes. I sent the books priority mail on Monday. They SHOULD arrive Wednesday. Lets say they get them Thursday. Are they off on Friday? If so we even give them the benefit of the doubt all the way to Monday the 25th. So the last 6 days of April, May has 31 days, and I leave for Heroes on the 2nd of June so I would need the books back by the 1st. So 6+31+1 = 38 days and the modern is suppose to take 20 days. Even two weeks late I should still get the books by the 1st :wishluck:

I just got the grades back on the Dave Stevens cover books I sent in to CGC and I'm pretty happy with most of them. Here they are:

Airboy #5 CGC 9.6 (to go along with my 9.8)

Alien Worlds #4 CGC 9.6 (I'll be selling my 9.4 in my new sales thread)

Cheval Noir #7 CGC 9.4

King Kong #1 CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6 (selling the 9.6)

Shadow and Doc Savage #1 CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.4 (selling the 9.4)

True Love #1 CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.4 (selling the 9.4)

Vanguard Illustrated #2 CGC 9.6

Should have them back sometime next week.

I've never submitted a book to CGC, though I own stacks of Stevens issues. Is the demand for a 9.4 or 9.6 different than the usual "must be a 9.8" mentality on modern books? It obv looks that way looking at what Shark has chosen to submit. Basically, is the return worth the investment if I get a 9.4/9.6 DNAgents 24 instead of a 9.8?

I've never submitted a book to CGC, though I own stacks of Stevens issues. Is the demand for a 9.4 or 9.6 different than the usual "must be a 9.8" mentality on modern books? It obv looks that way looking at what Shark has chosen to submit. Basically, is the return worth the investment if I get a 9.4/9.6 DNAgents 24 instead of a 9.8?

No, not really.

With a 9.6 you have a decent shot at breaking even, but it's dependent on the book.

With a 9.4 you're most likely going to be losing money.

If you're slabbing these types of books with an eye towards resale, you should seriously consider doing a 9.8 pre-screen :thumbsup:

I think the Stevens stuff is in such high demand now that you wouldn't have a problem selling any Dave Stevens cover slab in 9.4 or higher that will more than cover the cost of slabbing. That's just my opinion though.

Of course, I thought all of those books would be 9.6s or 9.8s but as usual CGC begged to differ I guess. :/

I think the Stevens stuff is in such high demand now that you wouldn't have a problem selling any Dave Stevens cover slab in 9.4 or higher that will more than cover the cost of slabbing. That's just my opinion though.

I guess we'll just follow your sales thread and see, huh?

I guess we'll just follow your sales thread and see, huh?

(thumbs u :wishluck: