• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,946 posts in this topic

Sadly I sold off most of my Dave Stevens books about 3 years ago.Much to my regret now.Had them all except for a few of the more recent ones.I kept all my Rocketeer books and this little gem.

DS004.jpg

At the time,the signature didn't command much of a premium.

Oh,and I won the fine copy of 3-D Zone 16 and the Peek-A-Boo with the Ward cover.

What is Dave's first published work? I picked up an underground today from 1977 that had two pages of DS art. I will post pics on Monday.

DS had done some fanzines and inking of some Russ Manning Tarzan before this was published. This is certainly very early work, and maybe 1st pencil work published. I leave it to you Stevens scholars. No beautiful ladies, though:

IMG00361-20110429-1936.jpg

IMG00362-20110429-1937.jpg

Here is the cover of the underground. It is a Hunter S. Thompson parody.

IMG00364-20110429-1938.jpg

So I had to go to Knoxville for my wife's reunion this weekend and hit a couple of stores for some Dave stuff. I found a beat up King Kong and a Black Angel that was fairly nice. I left the King Kong for somebody to find on Free Comic Book Day and bought the Black Angel. One more book down!

Update on books at CGC: been there since Wed the 20th, and only shows received.....

Update on books at CGC: been there since Wed the 20th, and only shows received.....

Since you stated earlier in the thread that you didn't Fast Track these books, you can pretty much count on these books not being actually graded until around May 16-18....maybe slightly earlier than that. Even though CGC states a "20-day turnaround" on Modern submissions on their webpage, that only means that they will probably get them graded and encapsulated within that timeframe.

My guess is that you will actually receive your books back on May 25th (5 weeks from when they show received). And I'll bet I get it right within +/- 2 days. (thumbs u

Since you stated earlier in the thread that you didn't Fast Track these books, you can pretty much count on these books not being actually graded until around May 16-18....maybe slightly earlier than that. Even though CGC states a "20-day turnaround" on Modern submissions on their webpage, that only means that they will probably get them graded and encapsulated within that timeframe.

My guess is that you will actually receive your books back on May 25th (5 weeks from when they show received). And I'll bet I get it right within +/- 2 days. (thumbs u

I have to agree.

But the worst thing to do is check the stats every day. You'll drive yourself to drink.

Wait a minute ... hm

Yes - keep checking the stats. :cloud9:

I have to agree.

But the worst thing to do is check the stats every day. You'll drive yourself to drink.

Wait a minute ... hm

Yes - keep checking the stats. :cloud9:

Let's see if my BCC sub gets back before yours. (:

Updated to add Sketches #4 (Thanks Chris!), Amazing Heroes #39, Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures, Time Machine #4, Verotik Illustrated #2, Amazing Heroes Swimsuit 1990 back cover, Near Mint #24 red, Alien Worlds #4 cover stat, Rocketeer Postcard Set #2, Luke and Vampy cards.

Front covers

th_3dzonefc.jpgth_ab5.jpgth_aw2.jpgth_aw4.jpgth_alterego.jpgth_ah37.jpg

th_ah39.jpgth_ahps.jpgth_backissues.jpgth_backissues-1.jpgth_bp6.jpgth_bp1fc.jpg

th_bpq1.jpgth_bpq2.jpgth_bpq3.jpgth_ba.jpgth_cn1.jpgth_cn7.jpg

th_cba.jpgth_catt.jpgth_ccs.jpgth_tcj.jpgth_cf12.jpgth_cr4.jpg

th_dc2002.jpgth_dna.jpgth_dv8.jpgth_elvira.jpgth_gc1.jpgth_stat1.jpg

th_gi7.jpgth_grendel4.jpgth_iger.jpgth_jq3.jpgth_jq.jpgth_jc1.jpg

th_kkfc.jpgth_msn.jpgth_mm2.jpgth_nst.jpgth_orbit.jpgth_pacpre2fc.jpg

th_pacprefc.jpgth_planet1.jpgth_ram1.jpgth_ram2.jpgth_ram3fc.jpgth_dxfc.jpg

th_ecgn2.jpgth_rocketeer.jpgth_se1.jpgth_rtca.jpgth_rtca2.jpgth_soi.jpg

th_sketches2fc.jpgth_sketches3.jpgth_sketches4.jpgth_ss1.jpgth_ss2.jpgth_sheena.jpg

th_tm4.jpgth_tl.jpgth_tt.jpgth_scarlet.jpgth_transcending1.jpgth_vi2.jpg

th_venus1.jpgth_venusce.jpgth_vi.jpgth_viking.jpgth_wow1.jpgth_wow2.jpg

Back Covers

th_3dzonebc.jpgth_ah1990swimspbc.jpgth_bp1bc.jpgth_jc2.jpgth_kkbc.jpgth_mimi.jpgth_mm4bc.jpg

th_pacpre2bc.jpgth_pacprebc.jpgth_planet1bc.jpgth_ram3bc.jpgth_rtcabc.jpgth_sketches2bc.jpg

th_sketches3bc.jpgth_sketches4bc.jpgth_ss2bc.jpgth_ss3bc.jpgth_dxbc.jpg

Fanzine covers

th_mofm.jpgth_myst.jpgth_nm24red.jpgth_nmfc.jpgth_nmbc.jpg

Misc

th_aw4stat.jpg th_stfront.jpgth_stback.jpgth_fanttipsheet.jpgth_card1.jpgth_card2.jpg

th_dkrom.jpgth_zipfc.jpgth_zip1.jpgth_zip2.jpgth_rpc2.jpgth_rpc2bc.jpg

th_swcard.jpgth_swcardbc.jpgth_vampcard.jpg

More to come...