• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader's notes?

23 posts in this topic

My Daredevil 174, 175 and 176 just got graded yesterday. I was pretty confident all three books were 9.8's, at the very least 9.6's. The 175 and 176 graded 9.8 each...but the 174 graded a 9.4...ouch. I must have missed something.

I heard somewhere once about grader's notes. How do you go about seeing those?

Thanks.

OK thanks, I was planning on waiting until I got the book so I could try and figure it out myself before I called...although I suspect it was something inside the book that I missed...perhaps not though.

They will not have grader notes on Modern tier. That was discontinued some time ago. The only grader notes I've been able to get was on an order sent in under the Standard or Express tier. They charge more to grade those books and they offer grader notes.

They will not have grader notes on Modern tier. That was discontinued some time ago. The only grader notes I've been able to get was on an order sent in under the Standard or Express tier. They charge more to grade those books and they offer grader notes.

I don't think that's true - as far as I know, they only discontinued notes on books submitted under the Value tier. I got graders' notes on some recently-slabbed Modern books just last week ...

You have to call 1.877.NM.COMIC.

FYI, they don't like you to call until the book is in hand.

they give you 1 book (per call) and the grader's notes on any book--regardless if you own the book or not or have it in hand...not sure if this is true with SA/BA, as I'm always calling for notes on GA keys books.

You have to call 1.877.NM.COMIC.

FYI, they don't like you to call until the book is in hand.

they give you 1 book (per call) and the grader's notes on any book--regardless if you own the book or not or have it in hand...not sure if this is true with SA/BA, as I'm always calling for notes on GA keys books.

If you are calling as a potential buyer of a book and wish to know the grader's notes

they will oblige. However, if you are calling as the owner of a freshly graded book

they usually ask you to wait until it is in hand. It was explained to me that too often the owner will call back again when the book is in hand questioning the notes. It seems reasonable to me. None of this is hard and fast. In general they are very good about supplying the notes and simply ask for some courtesy from their customers. It has to be labor intensive.

I was under the impression that they do not keep notes for books 9.4 or better. That said, I could be wrong. (shrug)

I'm pretty certain that CGC does not take notes for 9.6 and above. Not sure of 9.4 or lower.

Yeah, I don't want to bother them too much. I'm not disagreeing with their assessment, just trying to learn from my mistakes, so hopefully they will be cooperative.

+1 . I only call when I am considering a large dollar book or I am considering a resubmit. I have many books that I submitted whose grade puzzled me that remain a mystery to this day. A few times the grade was higher than I expected,

I've yet to call on one of those.

For the life of me I can not understand the logic behind not giving grader notes. I think for the price it is the least that can be done. I is really tragic when you get a 9.6 on Signature Series because that book is branded for life. I honestly do not see how a person could grade a book and not write down notes as they go... for instance a dot on page 6. Well by the end of the book I may have forgotten that, so I would take notes. The 9.6 grades need to have notes... because a standard is not a standard unless it applies to everything and everyone.

The logic behind it is that they don't have to sit and plug notes into the computer and keeps their turnaround times low.

You obviously weren't around for the 6 to 8 month economy waiting period.

Keep on truckin, CGC... (thumbs u

Thanks for the response, but I dont buy that for a minute. CGC is a business and documentation is part of the process. CGC does not grade comics for free they are paid to do so and with that comes feedback. To be honest it really is not an option sooner or later they are going to have to provide notes on 9.6 books it just can not be a "judgement call".

Thanks for the response, but I dont buy that for a minute. CGC is a business and documentation is part of the process. CGC does not grade comics for free they are paid to do so and with that comes feedback. To be honest it really is not an option sooner or later they are going to have to provide notes on 9.6 books it just can not be a "judgement call".

I"m with you when they discontinued the notes it it seemed to be a slap in the face of the customer. Just one more way to keep the grading method a secret. doh!

WEBHEAD

I"m with you when they discontinued the notes it it seemed to be a slap in the face of the customer. Just one more way to keep the grading method a secret. doh!

If they were not documenting to keep their grading standards a secret they would have never started giving notes out...we wouldn't even know they were keeping them had Borock and Haspel not openly told people about it. I'm sure at this point Haspel regrets they ever started giving them out to begin with.

akanni23, your expectations are unrealistic for a hobby. I still have yet to hear of any certification company in any collectible hobby providing the level of service you're both expecting and assume they'll eventually be forced to provide...does anyone else know of a certification company that gives out notes describing condition? I'm not saying I know for sure none do, I'm saying I've been curious about it for almost a decade and still have yet to discover another non-comics cert company that documents defects and gives that to customers 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere who is doing it successfully. (shrug) It'd be cool if there were and to take a look at how successful they are with it.

The challenge with documenting defects in any hobby and giving them to customers is that you can NEVER consistently and fully document an item--you're always going to leave something out. Even worse, the more defects there are, the harder the documentation task becomes, and paradoxically, the less the effort is worth because the more defects there are, the less valuable the book becomes. If you start giving out incomplete notes, your customers will eventually become even more pissed off than if you simply didn't give them out at all...I'm relatively sure this is the thinking that has prevented cert companies from fully documenting collectible defects.

I'm surprised they haven't implemented an online access of graders notes. It says all you need is the slab ID number to get notes. You don't even have to own the book.

Yeah, we've been asking for that forever. Seems like it would be fairly easy to provide (heck, they could even charge for it to help offset costs).

But, perhaps it goes along with what FF was saying regarding inconsistencies. I can certainly see someone creating a spreadsheet on a certain grade. You cross check multiple, multiple books for notes. Highlight inconsistencies and come on here and start a thread about it. Big headache for CGC.

Yes, you could do the same thing by calling, but that would take forever. Having instant access (similar to the census), one could put this together fairly quickly.