• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paypal question..

95 posts in this topic

pardon the idiocy on my behalf as im sure this has been discussed but i wanted a quick answer.

i havent used paypal ina while now, just havent been buying anything. But what is this whole paypal personal thing and why is it frowned upon on the sales forums?

It was banned from the sales forums as personal payments are there for payments like rent, money owed etc, not for purchases (as stated by Paypal).

At least one board member has been brought up by Paypal about this.

It was banned from the sales forums as personal payments are there for payments like rent, money owed etc, not for purchases (as stated by Paypal).

At least one board member has been brought up by Paypal about this.

Is this another one of those "unwritten rules"? That is silly. Why should anyone here care how a buyer and seller choose to pay each other...

It's a violation of Paypal's terms to use Personal payment to purchase goods and services. The Personal payment option is intended for users to pay bills, loans, or other personal debts.

It's a very generous program, and one of the very few good things eBay/Paypal has come up with in the last few years.

Abusing the program by using it for the purchase of goods...even from people we know...will eventually result in it being removed.

Also...since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

CGC mods have recognized all this, and banned it. Sellers are NOT to ask for personal payment as a payment option.

So please...don't ruin it for the rest of us by using personal payment to purchase goods/services.

(thumbs u

Hey RMA How about I send you $30 for your "birthday" and you send me about that amount of comics for my "birthday" ;-)

I remember when paypal had NO fees for paypal to paypal transactions.

I preferred getting dinged with a fee from a purchase made with a credit card or paying a small fee for an e-check much more than getting a fee on every single transaction.

It's a violation of Paypal's terms to use Personal payment to purchase goods and services. The Personal payment option is intended for users to pay bills, loans, or other personal debts.

It's a very generous program, and one of the very few good things eBay/Paypal has come up with in the last few years.

Abusing the program by using it for the purchase of goods...even from people we know...will eventually result in it being removed.

Also...since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

CGC mods have recognized all this, and banned it. Sellers are NOT to ask for personal payment as a payment option.

So please...don't ruin it for the rest of us by using personal payment to purchase goods/services.

(thumbs u

ok i can see the not being able to challenge it thing but if paypal doesnt know what your using it for and both parties agree on the form of payment whats the problem then?

(thumbs u

What paypal has done is actually removed services, not added a benefit. You used to be able to transfer money (paypal balances) without any fees for any reason. That is no longer true. I am not advising using the personal option to circumvent the rules. I am just explaining why people are not happy with it.

Dan

(thumbs u

To be specific, the "rules" state that the seller is not allowed to LIST the option of using personal Paypal in a post.

Frankly, there is no way to enforce it. If a seller is dictating that he will only use this paypal method for selling, then the buyer has the right to tell the seller where to go. If the buyer and seller mutually agree to use this method, that's their business. The buyer should understand that he would not be able to get his money back should the deal go south.

Yup.

The only reason it exists is because if PayPal didn't offer it as an option, they would be subject to all sorts of regulations that banks are subject to.

I believe this is true, though as we all know, you can still get stiffed even if you check "goods/services."

No, they have not banned it. It is not be listed as a payment option in sales thread. See Forum Selling Guideline #6:

#6 List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

The Mods aren't going to intervene if you make arrangements for PP Personal outside of a listing anymore than if you made arrangements to be paid in cash, hamburgers or whoopie pies.

It ain't going to ruin it for anyone. PayPal will not remove this option because they do not want to be classified as a bank. If they see a lot of obvious PP personal activity for purchase of goods and services, they may flag you and send you a nasty email. Flagging is going to result from sending messages along with the PP personal payment such as "Here's the money for the Hurst Pistol Grip I bought in the CarCorral Marketplace!"

(thumbs u

The personal payment option has not been "banned" from being used for transactions here, I use it all the time. (shrug)

thats what im geting at. I understand i cant challenge a charge if it goes south but other than that if i agree and the seller agrees its ok.

The personal payment option has not been "banned" from being used for transactions here, I use it all the time. (shrug)

thats what im geting at. I understand i cant challenge a charge if it goes south but other than that if i agree and the seller agrees its ok.

Yes, you can still use personal for purchases if agreed between both parties, you just can't advertise as an accepted form of payment on these boards. Whatever you so in PM is up to you.

since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

This is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Basically, anytime you use the paypal send money option you are placing your full trust in the person you are sending money to (unless you are using your own CC, which requires the fees anyway)

since it's not for goods/services, there is absolutely no way to challenge the payment if there's a problem.

This is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Basically, anytime you use the paypal send money option you are placing your full trust in the person you are sending money to (unless you are using your own CC, which requires the fees anyway)

Nonsense. I've sent money via PP to eBayers who never sent me anything. In all three cases, I got my money back from Paypal. They offer a great, easy to use system for getting your money back.

What I find interesting is that some sellers on the Boards are now offering a 3% discount if the Paypal Personal Option is used. It wasn't that long ago that some Boardies bashed Comiclink for adding the 3% to CC purchases. It's basically the same thing.

No ,it is not. There is a world of difference between offering cash discounts and tacking on a surcharge for using a credit card. In NY, if not everywhere, a credit card tack-on fee is illegal.

One is an accepted businesss practice, the other is an illegal fee. Not quite the same thing.