• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP (board member) deamentia.

154 posts in this topic

Very sad news.

I just read that his wife was cheating on him. I can't say I would do the same obviously, but people who are cheated on by someone they love must go through some intense mental anguish. It's just a horrible horrible thing to have to endure. I can't even imagine!

Tack on debt and job loss, and you have a hurting person. :(

I apologize for not posting about it sooner. I learned about it at Wondercon 2009 from another local boardmember. It's not something I really wanted to post about...

I met Jason at local conventions and I went to his house a couple of times in late 2008 when he and his wife moved to Concord, CA.

I didn't know about his bankruptcy situation then, only that he was selling some of his comics. (He gave me a tour of his comic room.) He had just gotten a job with the IRS I think and Serena was a pastry chef at a notable restaurant here in SF.

He had a garage sale for his comics one afternoon and when I went over there, no one had basically showed up the entire afternoon. I ended up buying everything he had for sale in the garage and returned later with a replacement Secret Wars #8 9.6 slab to make up for a cracked slab he had gotten from me previously. (Damaged during shipping.)

That was the last time I saw him. :(

That's very sad. Although I never met him in person, Jason bought several books from me - he had a penchant for #1 issues. I wondered why I hadn't heard from him in a while . . . :(

May Jason's wife RIP :cry:

May Jason RIH

Why you stickin up for the person who trampled her wedding vows underfoot ? There is NO excuse for adultery !! :sumo:

Very sad news.

I just read that his wife was cheating on him. I can't say I would do the same obviously, but people who are cheated on by someone they love must go through some intense mental anguish. It's just a horrible horrible thing to have to endure. I can't even imagine!

12 years ago I was in a very similar position. Cheating wife, job was going south and buried in insurmountable debt along with life's other challenges. I admit some really ugly thoughts went through my head - anger and desperation are a dangerous combination. I went through a very dark time but after getting myself out of the situation, things eventually started to work out. The past 10 years have been easily the best and happiest of my life.

When you are in those dark places it is so hard to see the light, but once the dust settles, it just seems like it was one of life's road bumps. The key is just riding it out and letting time take care of what it does best - put things in perspective.

Me saying I might understand some of what he was going through doesn't mean it is in anyway an acceptable option. This is a sad and tragic act. A divorce, a bankruptcy and a couple of years would have likely resolved most of the problems.

May Jason RIH

May Jason RIH

Your comment defines you. Defines you to a T.

I don't post much but am always lurking. Have seen many post by deamentia and not seeing that user name attached to a post again leaves a void.

The same void that Nik has left on us.

This is a sad situation for all and hope each can take something from it. God speed.

homerbeaDouche PM me. Would like to tell you EXACTLY, since you are too slow to figure it out, what I think of you without being banned.

May Jason RIH

May Jason RIH

Your comment defines you. Defines you to a T.

I don't post much but am always lurking. Have seen many post by deamentia and not seeing that user name attached to a post again leaves a void.

The same void that Nik has left on us.

This is a sad situation for all and hope each can take something from it. God speed.

homerbeaDouche PM me. Would like to tell you EXACTLY, since you are too slow to figure it out, what I think of you without being banned.

Who can't agree here? homerwannabee, I'm glad you've decided to be the Judge this evening--in all of your infinite wisdom. Congratulations.

When I heard the news today, I knew I had a transaction with Jason, so I went back to my records and found it: an ASM #500 CGC 9.4 (WP) SS--w/ John Romita and John Romita Jr. It was in Sept. 2008, a few months before the tragedy. After reading Mac Man's post, I do remember him being an ASM fan. Now I'm thinking of the fragility of life...here in Georgia recently a similar tragedy occurred: a husband, in his 70s, took the life of his wife of nearly 50 years, and then turned the gun on himself. The woman was a former congresswoman. According to accounts, both were Christians. In fact, they went to a church just a few miles from our apartment. I hear debt and money problems could've contributed. I don't know, in full, why it happened as it did, but I think of those left behind. I've thought of how lame his decision was. I've thought how could it be merely finances? I got all emotional in ways which were somewhat odd considering I didn't know them. But I certainly don't know what went on in that marriage and household and don't know someone's heart. When I think of these events, I'm stuck with overwhelming sadness. What are these families contending with on a day-to-day basis?

And homerwannabee, why don't you Google this Georgia couple and then tell me where the respective souls of the dearly departed are now residing. Then I'll be able to get rid of this sadness. :thumbsup:

One principle about communication that is largely inescapable is that it's irreversible. We've all said things we've regretted. Or written or typed things we've regretted. And they're just out there. Think of Whisp's comments after nik's death (I do recall, ultimately, some form of amends/reconciliation). If I were you, homer, I'd delete that post and beat your chest and ask for mercy and hope you'll arrive home justified.

May Jason RIH

Why you stickin up for the person who trampled her wedding vows underfoot ? There is NO excuse for adultery !! :sumo:

Found out after posting that his wife was an adulterer. Would I have posted the same thing had I had the knowledge before hand? Probably not. But I am not going to cover up what I said after the fact.

Guess I'm in the minority, but I can't fathom the sympathy for the guy. He took someone else's life. Someone's daughter. I don't care how bad she was, that's evil.

Very, very sad....

Guess I'm in the minority, but I can't fathom the sympathy for the guy. He took someone else's life. Someone's daughter. I don't care how bad she was, that's evil.

Very, very sad....

Succinct. Tough to argue with.

Very, very sad....

Perhaps. But who are we to judge? End it and disrespect them and their families no more. They have suffered enough.

Very, very sad....

I had posted this much earlier in the thread, then deleted it because it seemed sort of insensitive, but after more thought, it seems relevant...

In this thread , Jason said

Faye,

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's pretty sickening, if you ask me. Call the cops. Family or not, that is the worst kind of betrayal.

-Jason

...and then does something 10000X worse six months later. I guess it just goes to show how close we all can be to the razor's edge. Very sad, my heart goes out to their families.

Very, very sad....

I have to agree

One of the things that is the most difficult for me on a personal level

is that I envied him in his success at being a creative in SF.

I love that town and to be a designer there is my dream.

I would like to go, but my wife and family has roots here in NC.

For a long time, I could've only imagined what my life would've been if I could've

lived this dream and then this happened.

A spidey fan that is a creative and lives in SF does this, maybe this is an dark omen

showing a reflection that my dream would not have been what I thought it would have been.

Who knows...

Anyway I wish the best for all who have been affected by this horrible tragedy.

:(