• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Registry Awards - predictions for 2010 winners?

471 posts in this topic

I agree that the selection is subjective. How do you choose between some of these sets because there are truly some ridiculous sets in the Registry? Just look at Doc Joe's sets. He's got a dozen that deserve an award. They could have chosen a number of Beachbum's X-men sets. I think at some point, the judges personal preferences just take control and they pick what they like the best. I think what Boscoe is really concentrating on falls in line with the Best Presentation sets. I agree that the Lock and Key set is outrageous and worthy of an award. Maybe next year? It'll be bigger and maybe garner more attention.

I'm thinking I will add scans to my MTU, Defenders and Doctor Strange sets to see if they can get any attention.

Let's not forget that the set in particular that is being referenced, a run of Avengers with 561 slabs is epic!

When I viewed the set, I see that it won for Best Bronze Age! Couldn't you even have won in any of the other categories too? That is pretty sweet! You should be in line for one of the Best Silver Age sets too! I mean, a 9.4 Avengers #1 !

I'm just really pushing for that Best Copper Age award category!

And maybe even eventually a Best Custom Set award every year (when that feature gets rolling)

Thanks! The set kind of runs the gamut from SA to modern. Lump on the 64 consecutive issues of New Avengers and it gets pretty damn silly. I was just happy when they introduced Avengers V4 a couple of months ago. Now I can let the set continue to grow!

Personally, I can't see any reason not to have a Copper Age category. Seems to make perfect sense.

I think what Boscoe is really concentrating on falls in line with the Best Presentation sets. I agree that the Lock and Key set is outrageous and worthy of an award. Maybe next year? It'll be bigger and maybe garner more attention.

That's all I'm suggesting, but like it was stated already, selection is going to come down to what a judge appreciates.

I'm more into independent titles, and Crow is not everyone's game so I knew that would be breezed over (even though it is the only 9.8 set in existance for now).

If something is going to be selected as a Best Set, like Jerel's (which should), any of us should look at that set and agree it is presented in the best way possible. No matter how you feel about the title/characters/creative team/whatever.

I think what Boscoe is really concentrating on falls in line with the Best Presentation sets.
Four words: judge's subjectivity, nothing but.

Agreed!

But it is sad not to have a higher standard expected for The Best of the Best. That should not be subjective.

I think what Boscoe is really concentrating on falls in line with the Best Presentation sets.

Agreed!

But it is sad not to have a higher standard expected for The Best of the Best. That should not be subjective.

I think you're being pretty harsh here, Nick - take Beachbum's X-Men set, for instance. It consists of 288 slabbed books, 285 of which are 9.8's, with three 9.9's thrown in for good measure.

If this isn't the very definition of a "Best in Age" set (the best of the best), I really don't know what is - the fact that he hasn't added an introduction, nor 288 scans & synopses, doesn't detract from the monumental task of putting something like that together.

I agree that the selection is subjective. How do you choose between some of these sets because there are truly some ridiculous sets in the Registry? Just look at Doc Joe's sets. He's got a dozen that deserve an award. They could have chosen a number of Beachbum's X-men sets. I think at some point, the judges personal preferences just take control and they pick what they like the best. I think what Boscoe is really concentrating on falls in line with the Best Presentation sets. I agree that the Lock and Key set is outrageous and worthy of an award. Maybe next year? It'll be bigger and maybe garner more attention.

I'm thinking I will add scans to my MTU, Defenders and Doctor Strange sets to see if they can get any attention.

Agreed!

I think you're being pretty harsh here, Nick - take Beachbum's X-Men set, for instance. It consists of 288 slabbed books, 285 of which are 9.8's, with three 9.9's thrown in for good measure.

If this isn't the very definition of a "Best in Age" set (the best of the best), I really don't know what is - the fact that he hasn't added an introduction, nor 288 scans & synopses, doesn't detract from the monumental task of putting something like that together.

"You like me, you really really like me." :cloud9:

I was surprised that it was my 1991 X-Men Set that won over one of my Uncanny X-Men runs. For chrissakes I have a straight run of 9.8s (with some 9.9s & 10.0s) in my Uncanny X-Men collection from 121 - 525 at the moment.

That being said, my 1991 set has a lot of rare books, and some only in census books... Some of which I had to make several attempts at 9.8s before I filled the slot. Also... probably 90% of the books were submitted directly by me. There was a lot of hunting and pecking to finish it off.

I think you're being pretty harsh here

Michael, harsh is not what I am trying to be. I'm sorry if I came across that way, as that is not my intention.

But if THE BEST OF THE BEST comes down to who has the largest collection of high-grade slabs, and no other criteria factors into the competition, then it becomes a spending competition. That's what I felt would be sad is when someone said it came down to the largest book run, and not the additional effort that goes into presentment on top of a great collection of books.

And if it was more about the high-end numbers, the Locke & Key registry has fifteen 10.0's, nine 9.9's, and seven 9.8's. Anyone else have a registry set that fantastically high-grade in a small run?

If it comes down to the most frequent winners are the traditional titles, potentially because they also have the longest run of books, then it may be better CGC reconsiders their categories with as many registry sets as are out there.

BEST (NAME THE AGE) ATLAS/MARVEL/TIMELY

BEST (NAME THE AGE) DC/NATIONAL

BEST (NAME THE AGE) INDEPENDENT

LET THE PEOPLE VOTE!!!!!!

Why not have CGC select say 20 sets in each category that are really cool. Let the people vote on those twenty in each category and have the top two or three in each category win the People Choice Award.

CGC still keeps their awards but open it up a bit for public opinion

Why not have CGC select say 20 sets in each category that are really cool. Let the people vote on those twenty in each category and have the top two or three in each category win the People Choice Award.

Now that's a great idea :idea:^^

Now that's a great idea :idea:^^

+ 1

But I would still suggest the categories be altered to be fair to small press titles so this doesn't become a mass-slab selection that then gets voted on.

I'm just really pushing for that Best Copper Age award category!

That would be nice to see.

The problem I see with all you guys wanting specifics set out for Best fill in the blank is that when it comes right down to it, the decision is solely based on the personal likes and dislikes of the CGC staff and moderator that happens to be judging that particular category. You can have all the criteria and guidelines you want, but at the end of the day, it all boils down that specific judge's hot button.

^^

• Administrator

For Best Presentation we are looking for scans and personal descriptions. Yes, it is easy to copy the Wiki or Comic Database entry for the book, but does that really show your passion for collecting? We are hoping that by offering the comment section that you will want to explain what that issue means to you, why you collected it, why it is a key part of your collection, etc... Just because you type something in there doesn't mean that you are going to be a winner, it takes a bit more effort and we hope that you appreciate that as collectors who are passionate about the hobby. (thumbs u

Yes, it is easy to copy the Wiki or Comic Database entry for the book, but does that really show your passion for collecting?

:gossip: What if you wrote the Wiki, Comicvine, or other site entries? :hi:

I'm what you call a "fanatical fan." But seriously, thanks for the clarification.

• Administrator

I understand your point, but in rebuttal if you can write all of that can't you write a short personal description of why that book matters to you? (sorry to be blunt)

Basically, if an outside user can find that information elsewhere through a google search then how will seeing that information attached to your book on the Registry inspire them to want to participate? That is part of our logic for this method....I hope you can understand.

I understand your point, but in rebuttal if you can write all of that can't you write a short personal description of why that book matters to you? (sorry to be blunt)

Basically, if an outside user can find that information elsewhere through a google search then how will seeing that information attached to your book on the Registry inspire them to want to participate? That is part of our logic for this method....I hope you can understand.

Hey, no worries on being blunt. I'd rather have an honest and healthy discussion.

Seeing sets selected with loads of blank holes is okay for a set leader. But BEST SET representation doesn't follow your suggested rule.

I make it a point to discuss the entire registry set in the summary section and why I love it, and then use the individual book descriptions to provide the details of that story. This way, it helps viewers know more about each comic, while also allowing them the chance to view the front and back cover details.

Otherwise, I would take the easy approach and just insert, "This issue kicks butt because it contains the 1st appearance of ..." What value does that add?

I hope that makes sense.

But I will follow your suggestion in going into more detail above love of the registry sets. It does add that extra touch of personalization why I am a fanatic for the sets I collect.

• Administrator

OK, but I was talking specifically about the Best Presented award....so I don't understand how you have now related that to the Best Set categories as that was not what we were discussing.

I think you're being pretty harsh here

Michael, harsh is not what I am trying to be. I'm sorry if I came across that way, as that is not my intention.

But if THE BEST OF THE BEST comes down to who has the largest collection of high-grade slabs, and no other criteria factors into the competition, then it becomes a spending competition. That's what I felt would be sad is when someone said it came down to the largest book run, and not the additional effort that goes into presentment on top of a great collection of books.

And if it was more about the high-end numbers, the Locke & Key registry has fifteen 10.0's, nine 9.9's, and seven 9.8's. Anyone else have a registry set that fantastically high-grade in a small run?

If it comes down to the most frequent winners are the traditional titles, potentially because they also have the longest run of books, then it may be better CGC reconsiders their categories with as many registry sets as are out there.

BEST (NAME THE AGE) ATLAS/MARVEL/TIMELY

BEST (NAME THE AGE) DC/NATIONAL

BEST (NAME THE AGE) INDEPENDENT

No slight to the Locke & Key set, since it is a great set, but due to the great coverstock used 9.9s and 10s from IDW in that time period are common. If I had picked up one of those Locke or G.I. Joe on release day, submit it, and have it come back less than 9.9 I'd be upset with myself.

IDW has slipped in quality as of late, but pulling a 9.9 or 10.0 from a publisher such as Marvel or DC these days is a rare feat. Sometimes just getting a 9.8 for a certain issue is an adventure due to cheap coverstock being used.

And also, since my 1991 X-Men run was pretty much all self-subbed, the effort that went into that was quite substational, and continues to be.

OK, but I was talking specifically about the Best Presented award....so I don't understand how you have now related that to the Best Set categories as that was not what we were discussing.

Gemma, any category of "BEST" within an age is what I am talking about. Within a registry category is totally different, as that comes down to most points.

But I'm going to avoid pointing to a given set as an example as then it appears as if I am challenging someone's personal accomplishments, and Beachbum came up as an example from someone else.