• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Registry Awards - predictions for 2010 winners?

471 posts in this topic

Then quit your griping :baiting: That really should be the real reason we all do it (otherwise we have a bad and expensive compulsion)

:cry:

The bad man made me cry. And here I was ready to vote for Deadpool next year.

What about disappointment and customer-facing process reviews? Damn, Jason, you get away with murder.

It's different. It wasn't you.

:baiting:

Then quit your griping :baiting: That really should be the real reason we all do it (otherwise we have a bad and expensive compulsion)

:cry:

The bad man made me cry. And here I was ready to vote for Deadpool next year.

What about disappointment and customer-facing process reviews? Damn, Jason, you get away with murder.

Trying to decide if the better response is "It's all in the presentation" or "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!"

:(

:foryou:

I'm sick of being slammed for collecting a series from IDW. It's not my fault, I enjoy the series from a New Hampshire writer(Dre, you also have to rememember, I am in New Hampshire and don't get out to conventions-I depend on any help from anyone-not many books achieve 9.9 or better when they finally arrive up here). I have been hearing everyone and their momma's can score a mint Locke & Key book, and that's great, but it's really heartbreaking when head scratchers like this come up, "Try trading your complete 10.0 run of Locke & Key for that one(Wolverine #1 CGC 10). Does the phrase, "comparative scarcity" mean anything to you?" from CGC celebrated CGC newsletter writer Michael McFadden. It was like he was talking directly to me and I just wanted to just pull my set permanently from the Registry last year. It's why I didn't add my personal descriptions I wrote. It's why I route for everyone else too. I just figured the judges wouldn't take anything with such commonly high grade books as serious as I do on a day to day basis. I might not care to win anymore, but no one can deny my passion for my title. When I lost my job last year, I let my back tooth rot to afford the high grade Head Games #1 issues when they hit 10's from a seller and I sold a prized 2nd print in 9.9 so I could afford a CGC 10 #6(and have regretted ever since).The McFadden Article
Your set is awesome Jerel :cool:
Thank you Sarah and don't look so glum Nick. There also was a November 2009 article from Mr. McFadden that made me really excited to go back into collecting the Crown of Shadows arc when it started too. I really don't collect for worth, I collect for me. I try to drum interest in my favorite title too. The "Appreciation Thread" was at a paltry 750 views and I helped rally it up to 13,000(I'm still waiting for someone to tell me to shut up). If anyone new started reading it, then I succeeded :) .

Greetings all,

I’m Michael McFadden, CGC’s QC Doctor, and I wrote the piece that was referenced in these pixels recently by NewEnglandGothic. I hope you good fen don’t mind a post from a chat board newbie!

When I wrote of the comparative scarcity of a 10.0 Locke and Key set versus a Wolverine Limited Series #1 in 9.9, well, that’s just math. Cold, unflinching and irrefutable.

But that’s not really why we collect, is it?

We collect what we do because we love it. That’s heart. Warm, fertile for growth and in my book, just as irrefutable.

We collect what we do because it’s an expression of ourselves, very personal, made tangible by the feelings we have transferred to found objects. And if a Locke and Key set is what I have a passion for, no Wolverine LS #1 would possibly replace it for me. Even if a smooth writing fannish columnist makes light of it to make his point.

One of the things I collect are New Trend ECs. And they are mostly all between Good to Very Good. Oops, I’m on CGC’s dime here, so I mean 2.0 to 4.0! Really, these ECs look worse than I do. There are far better EC sets out there than mine. There sure are a lotta staggeringly gorgeous Gaines File Copies in circulation. But that’s OK with me, ‘cause these particular statistically diminished ECs happen to be mine and I have worked very hard to get them. I love showing them off to other fans and freinds because of my passion for collecting them.

I can’t look at my copies with the Crypt Keeper and not feel warm fuzzies.

As far a lot of 9.9 and 10.0 IDWs being out there, that’s not a bad thing. It’s evident from my desk that these folks really care about their finished product. I wish more publishers were similarly concerned for collectors. IDW seems like a really great company to support and collect.

And Jerel, and I am talking directly to you now, I agree with Marvelfangirl’s succinct post, “ Your set is awesome.” You’ve set a collecting goal, promoted your passion on the “Appreciation Thread” and you are succeeding at it. That’s pretty awesome, too!

And by the way "Thank You" to everyone who is reading my column! :foryou:

And Jerel, and I am talking directly to you now, I agree with Marvelfangirl’s succinct post, “ Your set is awesome.” You’ve set a collecting goal, promoted your passion on the “Appreciation Thread” and you are succeeding at it. That’s pretty awesome, too!

Super post!

And Jerel's set especially is what comes to mind when ensuring the Registry Awards are fair to all, and does not involve assumptions high-grade books are too easy to find for a given set.

The work he puts into his registry set is above and beyond!

(worship)

The top competitive sets go to the highest scoring sets with completeness and pictures as tie-breakers. There is no subjectivity to those awards.

I have to disagree with you on the subjectivity stance, Steve, but not to be confrontational about the topic.

I think you have done a good job of encouraging discussion and debate without being confrontational. Just to be clear about a minor point before moving on, I was referring to the certificates given to the top scoring set in each of the competitive runs in the post you quoted above.

I really like the idea of creating separate awards for copper and modern age eras for several reasons. Comics have changed so much over the past 30 years. I won a best copper age award for my run of X-Men 94-143 a few years ago. As a judge, what criteria could you use you to decide between a run like that and a truly modern run like Jerel's awesome Locke & Key run? They are apples and oranges.

I think CGC ( Gemma <3 :applause: ) has done an amazing job of expanding the number of sets in the past few years - particularly copper, modern and golden age sets - which has also dramatically expanded the competition for awards. I think that this increase in competition is particularly evident in the Best Copper Award which has the most eligible competitive titles and the most eligible sets. There are 50 sets that could have won but only 3 did.

The evolution of the CGC boards (which now has a modern era forum), the evolution of the CGC Registry (which now has hundreds of modern sets) and the evolution of the hobby (which has lots of collectors whose focus is on modern titles) all would tend to lead to an evolution of the Registry awards.

I personally think that type of change would be more responsive to customer demand than changing the criteria used to decide the awards.

I personally think that type of change would be more responsive to customer demand than changing the criteria used to decide the awards.

I agree the best change that could take place is finally implementing a Copper Age category. There are some amazing sets which could easily make this category shine just as bright as any other age.

:applause:

I really like the idea of creating separate awards for copper and modern age eras for several reasons. Comics have changed so much over the past 30 years. I won a best copper age award for my run of X-Men 94-143 a few years ago. As a judge, what criteria could you use you to decide between a run like that and a truly modern run like Jerel's awesome Locke & Key run? They are apples and oranges.

You actually won a Best Modern Age award for that (stunning) X-Men 94-143 set.

Which, seeing that it consists almost entirely of BA books & is also listed solely in bronze under "comic ages" in the Registry itself, was utterly baffling. And just to crank up the crazy level by another notch - one of the winners in the Best Bronze Age category that year was a Green Lantern #90-#200 set.

As GL #90 was published later than X-Men #94, this decision made no sense at all - even if Copper & Modern had been split off into two different categories, your set still shouldn't have been eligible to win either of them :foryou:

As GL #90 was published later than X-Men #94, this decision made no sense at all - even if Copper & Modern had been split off into two different categories, your set still shouldn't have been eligible to win either of them :foryou:

Quit causing trouble.

:baiting:

I think CGC ( Gemma <3 :applause: ) has done an amazing job of expanding the number of sets in the past few years

And I totally agree about recognizing Gemma especially. She has personally helped me out with registry sets and book submissions, and I never forget customer service like that.

(worship)

WorldsBestComics has some of the WorldsBestPosts!

Thank you. :acclaim:

I also really like the idea of adding an award (or awards) for best custom sets once that feature becomes available. Although I think that many custom sets will be well-presented and fit into a particular era and should be eligible for those awards, I also think that adding a custom set award will promote the creation of custom sets and provide a place for some custom sets that will not easily fit in an era and could get overlooked.

I will use all my influence with CGC to make these changes happen.

You actually won a Best Modern Age award for that (stunning) X-Men 94-143 set.

Which, seeing that it consists almost entirely of BA books & is also listed solely in bronze under "comic ages" in the Registry itself, was utterly baffling. And just to crank up the crazy level by another notch - one of the winners in the Best Bronze Age category that year was a Green Lantern #90-#200 set.

I totally agree. I consider X-Men 94-143 a bronze run. But I very much appreciated the award nonetheless.

I think CGC ( Gemma <3 :applause: ) has done an amazing job of expanding the number of sets in the past few years

And I totally agree about recognizing Gemma especially. She has personally helped me out with registry sets and book submissions, and I never forget customer service like that.

(worship)

Without the care Gemma put into creating my set and maintaining the set expansions, my registry set would be nothing. It's why I can't take total credit for my books in these contests anyway. She is as much part of the "Under Locke & Key" team as I am. For that I am eternally grateful, for her help and support with my requests. :applause:

:gossip:...and for helping everyone else too.

Greetings all,

I’m Michael McFadden, CGC’s QC Doctor, and I wrote the piece that was referenced in these pixels recently by NewEnglandGothic. I hope you good fen don’t mind a post from a chat board newbie!

When I wrote of the comparative scarcity of a 10.0 Locke and Key set versus a Wolverine Limited Series #1 in 9.9, well, that’s just math. Cold, unflinching and irrefutable.

But that’s not really why we collect, is it?

We collect what we do because we love it. That’s heart. Warm, fertile for growth and in my book, just as irrefutable.

We collect what we do because it’s an expression of ourselves, very personal, made tangible by the feelings we have transferred to found objects. And if a Locke and Key set is what I have a passion for, no Wolverine LS #1 would possibly replace it for me. Even if a smooth writing fannish columnist makes light of it to make his point.

One of the things I collect are New Trend ECs. And they are mostly all between Good to Very Good. Oops, I’m on CGC’s dime here, so I mean 2.0 to 4.0! Really, these ECs look worse than I do. There are far better EC sets out there than mine. There sure are a lotta staggeringly gorgeous Gaines File Copies in circulation. But that’s OK with me, ‘cause these particular statistically diminished ECs happen to be mine and I have worked very hard to get them. I love showing them off to other fans and freinds because of my passion for collecting them.

I can’t look at my copies with the Crypt Keeper and not feel warm fuzzies.

As far a lot of 9.9 and 10.0 IDWs being out there, that’s not a bad thing. It’s evident from my desk that these folks really care about their finished product. I wish more publishers were similarly concerned for collectors. IDW seems like a really great company to support and collect.

And by the way "Thank You" to everyone who is reading my column! :foryou:

Great post Mike!

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

...and despite your "cold, unflinching and irrefutable" math on a certain series, I still enjoy reading your column every month.

It's the first thing I usually read in the newsletter.

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

Let it be known that I was the one pushing for a Copper Age category just before the 2010 Registry Awards! (Give me that thing you guys have in your sig line)

You definitely jumped right out there, although the topic has been brought up for a little while now. But please don't take that as making light of your efforts.

Pleasure to have you help drive this campaign to conclusion.

:applause:

Thanks for your kind words, Jerel.

They could bring a tear to the ol' QC Doctor's eyes... or maybe that's just a shard of plastic from one of the many slabs I cracked open today!

Glad you're enjoying the column. I've submitted the latest one to CGC tonight and it should appear within the week.

Bestest to all!

So it would seem to have the Copper Age suggestion addressed (along with any other recommendations to be considered), it would take a large portion of the forum to make this happen.

What would CGC suggest in this case?