• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape Pull on Cover

14 posts in this topic

Just wondering what a book would grade down to from a 9.4 if it experiences a stupid tape pull on the cover. I have a scan below of the messed up corner. The rest of the book is extremely nice and to say I was pissed would be an understatement.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=filemanager&g=0&id=3b70cbc5e93f4b129cb5f42fa3e530f4&f=30

Thank you.

Eddie

99965.jpg.9f52ee6c7ea08dfef928ced1012a3e84.jpg

I would sadly have to say 7.5 maybe 8.0

Well, I have a book that graded a 7.5 due to a LOVELY price sticker on the cover, but was told by the Sarasota folk it would have most likely graded a 9.0 (this was in the grader notes I guess). Taking this to be more a damaging defect than the tape pull, I adjusted accordingly on this. HOWEVER, I can probably name about 3 local dealers who'd come in as you did.

Just wondering what a book would grade down to from a 9.4 if it experiences a stupid tape pull on the cover. I have a scan below of the messed up corner. The rest of the book is extremely nice and to say I was pissed would be an understatement.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=filemanager&g=0&id=3b70cbc5e93f4b129cb5f42fa3e530f4&f=30

Thank you.

Eddie

Did you keep the tape at least so that you still have the "whole book"? :baiting:

The last book that i had that looked like that,the seller was nice enough to mail me the book with the "tape pull" still holding the bag closed,told me he wanted me to still have the "whole book"... doh!

Did you keep the tape at least so that you still have the "whole book"? :baiting:

The last book that i had that looked like that,the seller was nice enough to mail me the book with the "tape pull" still holding the bag closed,told me he wanted me to still have the "whole book"... doh!

Well, that was very nice of him wasn't it? In any event, thanks for the replies. The "tape" was the strip across those pre-taped bags. When I was changing bags I unintentionally laid the book down on the strip of the old bag. Stupid bag. :)

Eddie

I'm pissed too . . . and it's not even my book! lol:sorry:

Thank you.

Eddie

I subbed three Superboys for Mike Grell SS in my very first SS sub. In a quick scan they appeared to be the same grade; two came back 9.6 and the one with the tape pull that I missed came back 8.0. I, therefore, think that 8.0 is the top end for an otherwise 9.4 book with a tape pull.

Or you could just be careful. I tape pulled a beautiful Subby 34 25 years ago and learned my lesson. No tape pulls since.

That's really what it's all about. You can blame the bag, blame the tape, blame your wife for interupting you, but it's all about being careful.

Or you could just be careful. I tape pulled a beautiful Subby 34 25 years ago and learned my lesson. No tape pulls since.

That's really what it's all about. You can blame the bag, blame the tape, blame your wife for interupting you, but it's all about being careful.

Bob, can I blame your wife as well?