• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comics: Buy the BOOK or the GRADE?

11 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of buying CGC books that display higher than grade, but aren't we all?

When it comes to big $ comics I tend to buy only CGC for the resto check and grade guarentee. I feel CGC is the top and most trusted graders nationally there are (don't we all?)

Back when I was younger I would buy "the grade" but as I've grown older my habits have drastically changed. I am now doing the "right (?)" thing - buying the book!

For books I know I am going to keep for the long haul I make sure I try and find the best displaying for my $. And in a few instances I've purchased slightly lower graded books at higher prices than buying a slightly cheaper slightly higher grade book of the same issue - just because it displays higher!

For instance in lower graded books, I'd rather buy a book with a detached cover or centerfold, or slightly rusty staples if it displays worlds higher than a higher graded issue that costs less.

Though I would never go for lower PQ (sometimes it effects grade)

So what are your thoughts?.........Do you Buy the book or the grade? hm

For instance in lower graded books, I'd rather buy a book with a detached cover or centerfold, or slightly rusty staples if it displays worlds higher than a higher graded issue that costs less.

Detached cover or centerfold making a great looking book affordable = :acclaim:

Rusty staples making a great looking book affordable = (tsk)

(thumbs u

I agree, but in some cases if its very slight or only one staple and does not bleed through to all pages and it appears to have stopped than I consider it. Especially if say a book is a 6.5 display but docked to a 4.0 because of 1 staple.

I live in Sacramento where there's little to no humidity ("it's a dry heat") so minor rust isn't a big problem for me. In my climate, the I'll probably be dead before the rust takes over or migrates significantly, if at all. That said, if Bedrock City was my LCS, I'd avoid rust like the plague.

Funny, I really dislike any major "hidden" flaws.

I don't want a loose centerfold, loose staples, tape, coupons cut, etc.

I'll put up with almost any amount of general wear in a book at the proper price though.

The interesting thing about the lower grades is that you can look at a dozen books in the same technical grade, and one will work for an individual while the others won't.

Though I would never go for lower PQ (sometimes it effects grade)

So what are your thoughts?.........Do you Buy the book or the grade? hm

The best books are those that are high grade with white pages and present markedly better than their peer of the same grade. They are also the books that consistently fetch a premium. Wasn't there a beautiful Captain America WP copy in the last CLink auction that really outperformed? Can't remember the number.

Funny, I really dislike any major "hidden" flaws.

I don't want a loose centerfold, loose staples, tape, coupons cut, etc.

I'll put up with almost any amount of general wear in a book at the proper price though.

The interesting thing about the lower grades is that you can look at a dozen books in the same technical grade, and one will work for an individual while the others won't.

I feel the same way. It makes one a picky buyer but a satisfied owner.

Crazy as it sounds I also buy the slab. I am paranoid about SCS and I don't like books too loose in the inner well. I prefer to buy a secure book with wedges in place.

After that I tend to avoid CR/OW page quality. Even before CGC I always wanted the book with the nicest pages.

I'm starting to strongly factor the price points for slabbed books = I get the highest grade before a significant price jump. If a 7.5 is half of an 8.0 I'll be happy with a 7.5 .

I am more than happy to own any pre 1965 book in 8.0 .

I am a grade snob for 1975 on = I want the 9.8's .