• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have so many old timers left the boards?

130 posts in this topic

I used to harp on this frequently in the early days of the boards...in fact, here's a thread from 2003 where I mentioned it, and you're in there talking about it too.

I not only answered the poll in that thread but I pulled an OOC gem from it. :banana:

I don't know how I feel about this idea migrating over to comics. It's easier to put that kind of production tax on cards than comics. There is way more involved in putting together comics, and it's already becoming evident that certain production flaws are becoming a burden on publishers, distributors and sellers. I'd rather just leave that degree of collector preference a pursuit that isn't gamed by some star rating, and leave it to the seller to market those production values (centering, registration, colour strike, etc.) as they see fit.

Just because comics are harder doesn't make us collectors more forgiving on the aesthetics. I think this star system is a fabulous idea, and this is the first I've heard of a coin company doing it. When did they start assigning stars?

I used to harp on this frequently in the early days of the boards...in fact, here's a thread from 2003 where I mentioned it, and you're in there talking about it too.

Too late.

They're using "+" now...

They stole the idea from us....

:shy:

same discussions

same participants

same ideologies

no give on many of the hot button topics

negative, negative, negative

life interferes

PMs are more friendly and you actually talk to, not at, people

(thumbs u

same discussions

same participants

same ideologies

no give on many of the hot button topics

negative, negative, negative

life interferes

PMs are more friendly and you actually talk to, not at, people

You forgot not near enough strikes... anymore.

For the vast majority of people, collecting funny books is a transitory hobby and they drift back when new and interesting things are happening (CGC, comic movies, etc.) and the prices are running hot, then drift away again when it's not so good and the hobby starts to get boring again.

If you're a long-term collector then you know this is the way it's always been - look at how many left the hobby in the mid-90's only to return in the 2000's when speculation reared its ugly head once again - most people are like moths to the flame.

Sad but very, very true.

we still have Joe (thumbs u

For the vast majority of people, collecting funny books is a transitory hobby and they drift back when new and interesting things are happening (CGC, comic movies, etc.) and the prices are running hot, then drift away again when it's not so good and the hobby starts to get boring again.

If you're a long-term collector then you know this is the way it's always been - look at how many left the hobby in the mid-90's only to return in the 2000's when speculation reared its ugly head once again - most people are like moths to the flame.

Sad but very, very true.

That's cause no one can get rid of him....

:whistle:

No, that's because I'm not a fair weather collector who suddenly appears when CGC books shoot into the stratosphere, making up some bizarre excuse why he hasn't bought a comic in 8-10 years. lol

The old "I was in school/getting a job/getting married/having a kid/etc." flim-flam act - strange, I did all those things and never left the hobby. :tonofbricks:

Sad but very, very true.

That's cause no one can get rid of him....

:whistle:

JC'll stick around until the crash so he can say: "Told you so" and then disappear into the night :baiting:

Life intervenes.

Pretty much. I don't spend nearly as much time as I used to on here. I've drifted away from comics and CGC books. About the only thing I might buy is TPB's and maybe Signature series stuff. I've moved more into comic art. I've also been dating someone for the past 6 months, so between work, gym, and the relationship I'm just not online as much as years ago when I was in college etc.