• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have so many old timers left the boards?

130 posts in this topic

when I read these boards, it makes me want to buy more comics. :eek:

I hear ya. I have to force myself not to visit the selling forums when I'm tapped out. It's tough. There's an amazing amount of stuff being offered here lately.

I have noticed myself this board and Ebay sales themselves have been dead compared to just a few months ago. I wonder if the economy plays a part in it, even the Ironman 2 movie didn`t spark as much frenzy as the first one? hm

There were plenty of threads re Iron Man 2, more than necessary in fact - I haven't noticed much change on the boards since the beginning of the year, really. Granted some established boardies have left, but they've been more than adequately replaced in terms of numbers by the new, more excitable, and less cynical breed.

Not sure it's an economical matter, more like a seasonal dip. People are saving for the big Cons coming up in the next month or two....

And as for ebay sales - the tough, quality GA and SA books are getting as big a premium there as ever.

After 8 years on the boards, where I logged in every single day it's getting a little tedious.

A good discussion is hard to find, as they seem to have been replaced by shouting matches. Lots of people are slaves to a certain agenda and can't wait to pull it out so they can prove a point or steer a discussion in a certain way.

I rarely participate in Comics General any more, partly because of the above reasons and partly because, without wanting to sound jaded, most stuff is a rehash of topics from 2006 which were already a rehash of topics from 2002.

I still log in every day, but now spend most of my time in the Silver Age section and in private PMs.

The positive part is that after all this time spent on the boars and spent collecting funny books, it's still my only hobby and I haven't grown tired of it at all.

I'm not sure how one measures "frenzy," but the Iron Man sequel to date has earned almost as much as the original...not sure we can point at that as a sequel that didn't match up to its predecessor in terms of popularity.

The amount of money a sequel makes during its first few weeks is based on the popularity and quality of the previous installment. That's obvious, as no one has seen the movie yet and are basing their purchase on how well they enjoyed the last movie.

But Iron Man 2 was a pale imitation of the first movie and since disappointment was the main emotion elicited, there's no driving force to talk about it ad infinitum. It sucked, move on.

But Iron Man 3 will bear the brunt of that disappointment and I doubt it'll match IM2 in terms of adjusted box office.

After 8 years on the boards, where I logged in every single day it's getting a little tedious.

A good discussion is hard to find, as they seem to have been replaced by shouting matches. Lots of people are slaves to a certain agenda and can't wait to pull it out so they can prove a point or steer a discussion in a certain way.

I agree. Things that used to fun or cute are now more or less annoying. Plus, people and relationships grow. Comics are what originally brought people together, but it's the topics and conversations that belong in PMs which really bind you together and cement relationships.

I agree. Things that used to fun or cute are now more or less annoying. Plus, people and relationships grow. Comics are what originally brought people together, but it's the topics and conversations that belong in PMs which really bind you together and cement relationships.

You're a newb as well.

I don't consider myself an old timer here. But I have drastically curtailed my posting and do a lot of PM'g.

You're right you're a newb.

Shut up Frenchie.

I don't consider myself an old timer here. But I have drastically curtailed my posting and do a lot of PM'g.

You're right you're a newb.

Shut up Frenchie.

I love newbs fighting back :cloud9:

Another voice of newbness here:

Not that I necessarily add much to a discussion, but I’m more inclined to post when folks are chatting about comics rather than fighting, pizzing and moaning, which we seem to have an extra amount of lately.

You're a newb as well.

I don't care. :)

Not that I necessarily add much to a discussion, but I’m more inclined to post when folks are chatting about comics rather than fighting, pizzing and moaning, which we seem to have an extra amount of lately.

You're not a noob. 2007 is noob.

Iron Man 2...(directed at JC) THANK YOU!!! I didn't want to be the first to say it sucked just because I thought maybe I had my expectations too high.

Justin Hammer was pretty bla...Whiplash was somewhat entertaining...but I will say I'm very intrigued to see more Black Widow. More! More! More!

As for the rest it was like they phoned it in from the original which says a lot for Don Cheadle since he's not even in the original.

Sorry I went OT...uhm, I haven't noticed anyone missing.

You're not a noob. 2007 is noob.
:acclaim:

I stepped away in the early 90's and returned when the modern storylines made the news (internet) - Spiderman exposing his identity, killing off Captain America.

The comic movies brought my interest back as well.

But, lately life and other factors have me looking at my other non-comic hobbies (just bought a Uberti SAA .45 - never had a six shooter before!).