• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have so many old timers left the boards?

130 posts in this topic

Iron Man 2...(directed at JC) THANK YOU!!! I didn't want to be the first to say it sucked just because I thought maybe I had my expectations too high.

Justin Hammer was pretty bla...Whiplash was somewhat entertaining...but I will say I'm very intrigued to see more Black Widow. More! More! More!

As for the rest it was like they phoned it in from the original which says a lot for Don Cheadle since he's not even in the original.

Sorry I went OT...uhm, I haven't noticed anyone missing.

Iron Man 2 would have been great if it was Iron Man 1, we would have all been very happy with it. But Iron Man 1 was great, so Iron Man 2 is was pretty crappy. And as you mentioned a rehash of #1. Hopefully in #3 he is not fighting more guys in armor :wishluck:

Bruce

I rarely participate in Comics General any more, partly because of the above reasons and partly because, without wanting to sound jaded, most stuff is a rehash of topics from 2006 which were already a rehash of topics from 2002.

Yeah, the first few times something was discussed it was new and enlightening, now it's just a re-hash and I can usually just cut-n-paste my discussion on the same issue from long ago. I've been on these boards since 2002, and that's like 20% of my whole life...I'm old and wise! :preach:

Like, have I ever told the story of how my Hulk #1 was delivered in the rain, or explained why black-covered books really are tougher, or noted that BA DC's are so much rarer in HG than their Marvel counterparts, or the story of discovering the Manitoba collection, or posted any of the original Oakland collection listing Vinnie sent me, or relayed my experiences with hammer and Gerry Ross, or explained how CGC could implement the "star" system like NGC does for perfectly centered books with great printing registration and color saturation? (shrug)

I have noticed myself this board and Ebay sales themselves have been dead compared to just a few months ago. I wonder if the economy plays a part in it, even the Ironman 2 movie didn`t spark as much frenzy as the first one? hm

I agree. I know I am tapped out as I have bought so many nice books this year already. It seems like there is so much nice material being offered all the time now.

Bruce

I rarely participate in Comics General any more, partly because of the above reasons and partly because, without wanting to sound jaded, most stuff is a rehash of topics from 2006 which were already a rehash of topics from 2002.

Yeah, the first few times something was discussed it was new and enlightening, now it's just a re-hash and I can usually just cut-n-paste my discussion on the same issue from long ago. I've been on these boards since 2002, and that's like 20% of my whole life...I'm old and wise! :preach:

Like, have I ever told the story of how my Hulk #1 was delivered in the rain, or explained why black-covered books really are tougher, or noted that BA DC's are so much rarer in HG than their Marvel counterparts, or the story of discovering the Manitoba collection, or posted any of the original Oakland collection listing Vinnie sent me, or relayed my experiences with hammer and Gerry Ross, or explained how CGC could implement the "star" system like NGC does for perfectly centered books with great printing registration and color saturation? (shrug)

Why don't you take it back a little further and run a R.A.C.M. style auction . . . :cloud9:

Why don't you take it back a little further and run a R.A.C.M. style auction . . . :cloud9:

Heck yeah, now we're talking old school! :headbang:

Here's an old R.A.C.M. sales list - who wants a VF/VF+ Batman 227 for $16, or a NM Witching Hour 13 for $20?

In about a year or so you get to post your surfer pics again (thumbs u

Great...I'll be on the lookout for the "Chrom jumping off the roof into the red convertible" pic as my queue. lol

Great...I'll be on the lookout for the "Chrom jumping off the roof into the red convertible" pic as my queue. lol

:roflmao:

Haven't heard much about the bolded bit, I admit.

For the vast majority of people, collecting funny books is a transitory hobby and they drift back when new and interesting things are happening (CGC, comic movies, etc.) and the prices are running hot, then drift away again when it's not so good and the hobby starts to get boring again.

If you're a long-term collector then you know this is the way it's always been - look at how many left the hobby in the mid-90's only to return in the 2000's when speculation reared its ugly head once again - most people are like moths to the flame.

Sad but very, very true.

When will you return to being Comic Investor?

For the vast majority of people, collecting funny books is a transitory hobby and they drift back when new and interesting things are happening (CGC, comic movies, etc.) and the prices are running hot, then drift away again when it's not so good and the hobby starts to get boring again.

If you're a long-term collector then you know this is the way it's always been - look at how many left the hobby in the mid-90's only to return in the 2000's when speculation reared its ugly head once again - most people are like moths to the flame.

Sad but very, very true.

its not sad. Its just the way most people are.