• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pooh Pooh Smell

53 posts in this topic

You might as well febreeze it.

What about micro chamber paper? would that take the smell away?

If either of these techniques worked and the stench was completely removed would the seller then have to disclose?

For discussion sake let's say I had a comic for sale and it was a no-doubt 9.2. Beautiful in every way. Nice gloss, sharp corners, just the slightest bit of handling wear, but an all around definite 9.2 structurally. But somewhere along the way this book was stored next to a large steaming pile of feces and the smell was absorbed into the paper. This beautiful book acquired such a stench that even lifting a flap on the bag caused serious watering of the eyes.

Does this book get down-graded for the odor?

Is this from Dr Watson's collection hm

Please. Everyone knows my mess don't stink. :eyeroll:

For discussion sake let's say I had a comic for sale and it was a no-doubt 9.2. Beautiful in every way. Nice gloss, sharp corners, just the slightest bit of handling wear, but an all around definite 9.2 structurally. But somewhere along the way this book was stored next to a large steaming pile of feces and the smell was absorbed into the paper. This beautiful book acquired such a stench that even lifting a flap on the bag caused serious watering of the eyes.

Just come out and say it, You have this ''9.2'' smelly book don't you? ;)

If either of these techniques worked and the stench was completely removed would the seller then have to disclose?

The answer to your original question depends upon the OSL (Overstreet Stinkiness Level) of the odor; if it was worse than an OSL 5 as it sounds like the book is, then it wouldn't be any higher than 6.0 Fine.

As for whether or not you would have to disclose the removal of the odor, the answer is YES, of course! It's restoration to remove the stink. Also, if the odor smells of corn nuts and feet, then most likely the odor came from one of the press operators at Sparta taking a dump on the book, and in that case, CGC wouldn't downgrade for it at all as it is a manufacturing defect. I wholeheartedly disagree with this...I really don't think it should matter whether or not it's the press operator or a 7-year old kid with the runs who does it, a dump is a dump is a dump and should be downgraded for accordingly. :screwy:

The answer to your original question depends upon the OSL (Overstreet Stinkiness Level) of the odor; if it was worse than an OSL 5 as it sounds like the book is, then it wouldn't be any higher than 6.0 Fine.

As for whether or not you would have to disclose the removal of the odor, the answer is YES, of course! It's restoration to remove the stink. Also, if the odor smells of corn nuts and feet, then most likely the odor came from one of the press operators at Sparta taking a dump on the book, and in that case, CGC wouldn't downgrade for it at all as it is a manufacturing defect. I wholeheartedly disagree with this...I really don't think it should matter whether or not it's the press operator or a 7-year old kid with the runs who does it, a dump is a dump is a dump and should be downgraded for accordingly. :screwy:

lol:insane::roflmao:

a good way of getting rid of musty smells, poo or smoke is kitty litter! honest. alot of book dealers use this. you put a layer of kitty litter in a cardboard box. put something for the comic to rest upon, place comic in & leave it overnight & this usually works. I've heard balls of newspaper works as well. I'd be careful if you have a cat thou, they might think it an extra loo.

Shouldn't you already know the answer?

The previous owner...

ummm-funk1.jpg

That's why the book smells so funky :idea:

I once won an auction on eBay for Spidey #115-125 for about $110.

The seller "forgot" to mention they'd been peed on by a cat.

I asked the seller for a refund, they said to keep the books, and they'd refund me $100.

I said fine.

Tossed 'em up on eBay, disclosed the feline issue, and sold 'em for $40.

True story.

The kitty litter process it a good attempt - I wouldn't spray anything directly on it HOWEVER I would get it out of the bag it's in and let it air out for a while to begin with.

Actually UV ray from sunlight works well but that has obvious problems. Dryer sheets pull odors out of paper well however I do not know how this would affect the comic... (DO NOT PLACE IN DRYER!!! - lol)

Would the CGC holder "contain" the odor???

Buy a pro-clean at Classics Inc ...

or pick two beaters from the collection with which you seal your nostrils ...

Next question

Next question

But does it get downgraded?

Next question

But does it get downgraded?

No!

Is this the famous Pooh-Pooh variant issue? hm

a good way of getting rid of musty smells, poo or smoke is kitty litter! honest. alot of book dealers use this. you put a layer of kitty litter in a cardboard box. put something for the comic to rest upon, place comic in & leave it overnight & this usually works. I've heard balls of newspaper works as well. I'd be careful if you have a cat thou, they might think it an extra loo.
Agree with everything except using a cardboard box. Get yourself an airtight container and this would work like a charm. (Thumbs u