• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Party Variant Question

14 posts in this topic

One of the many variant covers for the new Avengers # 1 comic is an exclusive party variant that was limited to one per store.

In addition to the scarcity of the book, the other draw is a personalized letter on the inside cover of each copy with the name of the retailer on the letter.

I recently purchased a copy of this variant cover on Ebay.

Although there were no problems with the condition of the comic, I was very surprised to see that the letter on the inside cover of my copy was addressed to "Hello Avengers Fan".

I had no idea that any copies of this variant even had a generic greeting and am not sure why they would exist if the one copy per store limit was to be enforced.

Please help me with the two following quesitons:

If the cover is the same "Marvel Premiere Edition" is it possible that my copy isn;'t the party variant that was described in the listing? If not, how do I tell the difference?

Would this book have the same value of a similar book with the name of an actual comic book vendor?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few of these and each of them have the name of the store listed on the inside. It is the John Romita Jr cover (the regular cover) but has the old school Avengers logo on the top correct? The back cover has the Greg Land variant.

I think that is pretty cool! Show it off!

I have a few of these and each of them have the name of the store listed on the inside. It is the John Romita Jr cover (the regular cover) but has the old school Avengers logo on the top correct? The back cover has the Greg Land variant.

Where exactly is the name of the store listed?

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Aside from not seeing the name of the store I have a mint condition book with the John Romita Jr cover on the front and the Greg Land variant cover on the back.

Where exactly is the name of the store listed?

Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Aside from not seeing the name of the store I have a mint condition book with the John Romita Jr cover on the front and the Greg Land variant cover on the back.

That is not really considered the "party variant". That is the Retailer's PREMIERE EDITION. The gatefold cover variant (front and back cover tri-fold) is the one per store that participated in the Avengers Party Variant. The Premiere Edition was mailed directly to the stores by Marvel in a manila envelope with no protection so consider yourself lucky if you have a 9.8 raw copy. I think the retailer also had to make a certain criteria, and also had to have participated in The New Year's Party to qualify.

The Premiere Edition should have the name of the store on the inside cover with the Romita Jr front cover, and Land cover as the back.

I was unaware of the Generic version that didn't have the name of the store inside. I have a CGC'd copy coming back that says in the notes "(name of store) copy".

One of the many variant covers for the new Avengers # 1 comic is an exclusive party variant that was limited to one per store.

In addition to the scarcity of the book, the other draw is a personalized letter on the inside cover of each copy with the name of the retailer on the letter.

I recently purchased a copy of this variant cover on Ebay.

Although there were no problems with the condition of the comic, I was very surprised to see that the letter on the inside cover of my copy was addressed to "Hello Avengers Fan".

I had no idea that any copies of this variant even had a generic greeting and am not sure why they would exist if the one copy per store limit was to be enforced.

Please help me with the two following quesitons:

If the cover is the same "Marvel Premiere Edition" is it possible that my copy isn;'t the party variant that was described in the listing? If not, how do I tell the difference?

Would this book have the same value of a similar book with the name of an actual comic book vendor?

Thanks in advance.

As Beachbum said, you are talking about two different variants. The party/Gatefold variant is an all white cover with Captain America on it. It is not personalized.

Ok guys, here's what's out there (so far).

avengers_2010_1.jpg

This is the regular cover. The cover art is by JR JR.

avengers_2010_1a.jpg

This is the "Heroic Age" variant. Cover art by Greg Land.

avengers_2010_1b.jpg

Sketch Edition - blank cover

avengers_2010_1c.jpg

JR JR Gatefold variant

avengers_2010_1d.jpg

JR SR. variant cover

avengers_2010_1e.jpg

JR JR regular variant cover

avengers_2010_1f.jpg

Comic Con exclusive

avengers_2010_1g.jpg

Djurdjevic variant cover

avengers_2010_1h.jpg

Premiere Edition - personalized on interior front cover

Thank you sir. As you can see above, the JR JR Gatefold Variant is considered the "Party Variant". The Premiere Edition that is personalized on the interior is the last image.

Thank you sir. As you can see above, the JR JR Gatefold Variant is considered the "Party Variant". The Premiere Edition that is personalized on the interior is the last image.

From what I have read it is clear to me that I have the Premiere Edition and not the Party Variant. Where I am still a bit confused is that I did not see the name of the store on the inside of the front cover so it would seem that my copy has not been personalized.

Thanks again.

As for pictures, I can post them in a couple days.

JR JR Gatefold variant

This was also given to retailers in multiple as a PRINT.

Same size as the gatefold comic.

I bet no one has stapled one of these to the original comic to make a few $ though :mad:

It was even folded the same way. And yes, people have been ripping the covers of regular issues, attaching the prints, and selling them on Ebay.

The good news is CGC is aware of it.

The bad news is people are buying these raw off Ebay and not knowing what they are receiving. I feel sorry for anyone who ends up with one, submits it unknowingly, and ends up with a Green Label or worse Retored label.

They were sent to retailers who participated in Avengers Day (for the U.S accounts)

In the U.K we had to re order copies of Avengers #1 in the buy one get one free promotion.

Hence all the bedroom sellers on Ebay UK selling Avengers #1 at stupid low prices.

As a retailer this makes my blood boil :mad:

Our initial order was enough to cover 1st day demand and enough for a few months in the back issue section so we had no need to re-order (basically at half price).

All the bedroom sellers who ordered light suddenly found themselves with a buy one get one free offer plus a £100 incentive comic rantrant

If you're thinking of buying the new X-Men #1, shop around! It's just been offered as a buy one get one free too so there'll be masses of the bloody things.

Deja vu anyone?