• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi. I am interested in buying the following:

16 posts in this topic

I am relatively new to collecting and would be interested in buying any of the following:

Ditko ASM splashes or any early Dr. Strange splash pages

Early (pre 145) Flash covers or early JLA covers

Any Marvel or DC golden age superhero covers

Any golden age pages featuring the Spectre or Dr. Fate

Any Raboy Master Comic covers

I know this list is extremely difficult to find and very desirable/expensive, but if you happen to know of a seller, I can pay cash immediately. I am willing to pay whatever the going rate is, I just don't want to be taken advantage of.

I am relatively new to collecting and would be interested in buying any of the following:

I know this list is extremely difficult to find and very desirable/expensive, but if you happen to know of a seller, I can pay cash immediately. I am willing to pay whatever the going rate is, I just don't want to be taken advantage of.

You might want to do some research to avoid the last sentence :tonofbricks:

I'm curious how someone just entering the hobby comes up with a list like that. I've been in the hobby for a while and with the exception of the Ditko pages I've rarely seen originals for the other items, much less seen them available.

I think you may want to try some of the auction houses, where you and other bidders will determine the 'going rate'.

In response to the comments above: As to how I came up with the list, I have been trying to purchase art for the last six months. I have been able to buy a grand total of 1 really high end piece (and it cost me a fortune, but to me it was worth every penny). The other day I was reading the Miller DD 100k+ cover thread. Towards the end, one insightful poster noted that the really high end pieces are traded in private sales (it was something along the lines of "why pay the 30% to the auctioneer" when you know who the real buyers are). As Ruben noted, outside of Ditko, this stuff doesn't seem to be available. That is precisely why I decided to post my want list. I am hoping that the next time someone decides to make a private sale of one of these pieces, they give me a shot. As to the "going rate" comment, I know that I am asking about true grail pieces. I inquired previously on a separate thread what a Raboy cover would go for, and I got a few comments. The same with the Flash cover. Jjonah, if this stuff was showing up at auctions, I would have no problem, but it isn't. I wanted to give the impression that I am willing to pay whatever the seller reasonably expects he can get from other serious buyers, but I am not some multimillionaire with money to burn who will pay two and three times the next highest bid. If saying I would pay the "going rate" sounded amateurish, so be it. I have tried to do what research I can by talking to others, and I have found this space to be an invaluable source of information. As of the actual construction of the list, I tried to think of everything I would really like and would really be willing to pay the 5 or 6 figures it would cost. If anyone can tell me a better way for someone relatively new to the hobby to make his interest known, I would love to hear from them. I know a lot of the posters here are long time collectors who have "earned" their knowledge through many years of hard work and determination. I respect that, but given the current state of the hobby, it seems extremely difficult for someone new to independently replicate that knowledge base. If any of you found my original post objectionable, you have my apologies.

My answer about buying one piece may have been a little misleading, since it was easier to obtain than the rest of my list and no longer appears on my list of items I am looking for (unless it is one of the really key covers, which I am sure are locked away for good). It was a Neal Adams Batman cover. Obviously more recent (and more available) than the others on my list. As to the items on my list, I was offered a Ditko ASM splash, but it took me a few days to decide if I could afford it, and by then it was gone. There was a Bernard Bailey Spectre page offered on ebay a while back, so I am hoping there is more around someplace.

Mike Burkey at romitaman.com is selling the title splash to ASM #35 by Ditko. Good luck if you decide to go for it. What a great way to start your comic art collection with the Ditko ASM splash and the Neal Adams Batman!

In response to the comments above: As to how I came up with the list, I have been trying to purchase art for the last six months. I have been able to buy a grand total of 1 really high end piece (and it cost me a fortune, but to me it was worth every penny). The other day I was reading the Miller DD 100k+ cover thread. Towards the end, one insightful poster noted that the really high end pieces are traded in private sales (it was something along the lines of "why pay the 30% to the auctioneer" when you know who the real buyers are). As Ruben noted, outside of Ditko, this stuff doesn't seem to be available. That is precisely why I decided to post my want list. I am hoping that the next time someone decides to make a private sale of one of these pieces, they give me a shot. As to the "going rate" comment, I know that I am asking about true grail pieces. I inquired previously on a separate thread what a Raboy cover would go for, and I got a few comments. The same with the Flash cover. Jjonah, if this stuff was showing up at auctions, I would have no problem, but it isn't. I wanted to give the impression that I am willing to pay whatever the seller reasonably expects he can get from other serious buyers, but I am not some multimillionaire with money to burn who will pay two and three times the next highest bid. If saying I would pay the "going rate" sounded amateurish, so be it. I have tried to do what research I can by talking to others, and I have found this space to be an invaluable source of information. As of the actual construction of the list, I tried to think of everything I would really like and would really be willing to pay the 5 or 6 figures it would cost. If anyone can tell me a better way for someone relatively new to the hobby to make his interest known, I would love to hear from them. I know a lot of the posters here are long time collectors who have "earned" their knowledge through many years of hard work and determination. I respect that, but given the current state of the hobby, it seems extremely difficult for someone new to independently replicate that knowledge base. If any of you found my original post objectionable, you have my apologies.

You did nothing wrong and have nothing to apologize for. While I doubt your posting on this list will shake out the type of art you are looking for, it probably did you no harm as long as you have a sense of market values, understanding what commands a premium and what doesn't and why. The problem is, as you inferred, much of the type of art you are looking for is almost impossible to acquire even if you are well connected and "in the club" of BSD's and collectors who control this stuff. Your post was nothing more than a hail mary. Again, nothing wrong with that, and who knows? Remember Doug Flutie and the Miami Hurricanes? Google it, and "be the football". :wishluck:

Scott Williams

I think my original post might have been misunderstood. I was asking about the process of coming up with the list and what that process might be as you happened to hit some very rare stuff. Are these pieces you always liked as comics and now you want the originals? Did you go through some sort of book of covers and pick out the ones you like?

Mike Burkey at romitaman.com is selling the title splash to ASM #35 by Ditko. Good luck if you decide to go for it. What a great way to start your comic art collection with the Ditko ASM splash and the Neal Adams Batman!

That is quite a piece!

http://romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7337&ArtistId=1033&Details=1&From=Room